Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone recommend a local tow truck company? Unfortunately my car has two flat tires and needs to be towed literally across the street to The Car Store on Smithfield Ave. Trying to pay as little as possible for such a short trip.

Can anyone recommend a local tow truck company? Unfortunately my car has two flat tires and needs to be towed literally across the street to The Car Store on Smithfield Ave. Trying to pay as little as possible for such a short trip.

any chance they have an extra spare that they could throw on it for you so you can drive it over? or they could send someone over with a jack to check it out (since that's all they'd do anyways).

Edited by runawayjim

any chance they have an extra spare that they could throw on it for you so you can drive it over? or they could send someone over with a jack to check it out (since that's all they'd do anyways).

I asked about an extra spare, they didn't like that idea, probably for liability reasons or something. Cheapest company I've found was $50. So frustrating seeing how I could throw a baseball to the service center from here.

I asked about an extra spare, they didn't like that idea, probably for liability reasons or something. Cheapest company I've found was $50. So frustrating seeing how I could throw a baseball to the service center from here.

another idea is filling the least damaged tire with air and putting your spare on the other one and driving over slowly. that's what i'd do. it's not worth the money.

do you have AAA? you'll have to wait for them, but they'll tow you for free (the standard AAA membership gives you 5 miles of free towing).

which tires are blown? Is your car FWD? Do you own jackstands? Do you have a single spare/donut?

Assuming FWD

Replace one of the flats with the donut/spare that you should have.

rotate the tires such that the donut and flat are on the rear wheels.

Drive to the station

100 linear feet on a flat tire isn't going to kill your wheel. Although if you have $1500 rims, then maybe the tow is worth it.

And if you aren't a car guy then $50 might be worth avoiding doing all of the jacking, etc.

another idea is filling the least damaged tire with air and putting your spare on the other one and driving over slowly. that's what i'd do. it's not worth the money.

do you have AAA? you'll have to wait for them, but they'll tow you for free (the standard AAA membership gives you 5 miles of free towing).

Unfortunately I don't have AAA. My girlfriend does, but I assume she wouldn't be allowed to get her discounts on my car?

which tires are blown? Is your car FWD? Do you own jackstands? Do you have a single spare/donut?

Assuming FWD

Replace one of the flats with the donut/spare that you should have.

rotate the tires such that the donut and flat are on the rear wheels.

Drive to the station

100 linear feet on a flat tire isn't going to kill your wheel. Although if you have $1500 rims, then maybe the tow is worth it.

And if you aren't a car guy then $50 might be worth avoiding doing all of the jacking, etc.

FWD, both right side tires are blown. Car came with a dinky jack and a spare. Not a car guy, but I could jockey around the tires. Tires are some generic snows, was planning to put on the summers this weekend. Unfortunately those are stored up in NH.

Unfortunately I don't have AAA. My girlfriend does, but I assume she wouldn't be allowed to get her discounts on my car?

yes, you can get her discounts. that's probably your best bet. at the very least you can explain to them that the place is across the street so you probably don't need a tow, and they'll send someone over with a real jack to swap your tires around.

FWD, both right side tires are blown. Car came with a dinky jack and a spare. Not a car guy, but I could jockey around the tires. Tires are some generic snows, was planning to put on the summers this weekend. Unfortunately those are stored up in NH.

I should have rewound, also.

Are these sidewall leaks or are they nail in the tread kind of things?

Can you just take them off and bring them down there? A tire does not need to be on the car to be patched. If it is the sidewall and you need to replace the tire anyway, then my plan does not have a further negative effect 99.9% of the time. so if you put the spare on the front tire and just drive it over, you should be ok.

But to me $50 isn't worth fighting with the stupid scissor jack. I would use the $50 towards buying a hydraulic jack and jackstands. Sounds like AAA is your best bet anyway.

Edited by brick

I should have rewound, also.

Are these sidewall leaks or are they nail in the tread kind of things?

Can you just take them off and bring them down there? A tire does not need to be on the car to be patched. If it is the sidewall and you need to replace the tire anyway, then my plan does not have a further negative effect 99.9% of the time. so if you put the spare on the front tire and just drive it over, you should be ok.

But to me $50 isn't worth fighting with the stupid scissor jack. I would use the $50 towards buying a hydraulic jack and jackstands. Sounds like AAA is your best bet anyway.

Yeah, I ended up filling the rear tire as best I could and popping on the donut for the front tire. Just creeped it across the street. Unfortunately they can't get the tires until tomorrow, and that means another day of classes missed...Hopefully the end of this week is better than its beginning.

Yeah, I ended up filling the rear tire as best I could and popping on the donut for the front tire. Just creeped it across the street. Unfortunately they can't get the tires until tomorrow, and that means another day of classes missed...Hopefully the end of this week is better than its beginning.

no rain at the end of the week... that's always a good thing. :thumbsup:

Cotuit,

is there a policy or a rule about placing advertising on this site? I'm selling my condo and thought this might be a nice place to post given the traffic this site gets for info on living in and moving to Providence.

Thanks

You have probably already posted it on Craigslist, but if not I'd recommend it. It's the first place I look for apts, and it's free!

Cotuit,

is there a policy or a rule about placing advertising on this site? I'm selling my condo and thought this might be a nice place to post given the traffic this site gets for info on living in and moving to Providence.

Thanks

Yes, unfortunately it is against the rules. You're not leaving Providence are you?

i am the proud owner of a new scooter from JavaSpeed on North Main Street. $3.00 just about filled the tank with gas.

next up: starting a scooter girl gang.

Not to burst your bubble or insult you in anyway, but what's the point? Get a bike! It's cheaper to buy, cheaper to power (it's free!) and you'll get some exercise at the same time. :lol:

Not to burst your bubble or insult you in anyway, but what's the point? Get a bike! It's cheaper to buy, cheaper to power (it's free!) and you'll get some exercise at the same time. :lol:

i don't know about jen or you, but i'd feel safer on a scooter tahn i would on a bike with the way some people around here drive...

RI needs to ban talking on cell phones while driving.

i don't know about jen or you, but i'd feel safer on a scooter tahn i would on a bike with the way some people around here drive...

RI needs to ban talking on cell phones while driving.

But you're just as unprotected on a scooter as on a bike.

And agreed, I'm afraid to walk/drive/bike/exist sometimes the way I see people driving.

But you're just as unprotected on a scooter as on a bike.

And agreed, I'm afraid to walk/drive/bike/exist sometimes the way I see people driving.

it's easier to get out of the way on a scooter than on a bike. the scooter can at least stand a chance with traffic (considering they can usually go a max of at least 40mph and move at the same speed as traffic, which is tough to do on a bike in the city).

as someone who was done runned over by a car by the mall, i have to say that i feel unsafe in any mode of transport these days, but do believe that i can at least keep up with traffic in a scooter and i have a much higher profile than if i was riding a bike.

however, the point is moot as i have yet to get the courage to ride the scooter outside of the driveway and parking area of the house. :lol: