Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even 7500, is a lot compared it IE, i took a screen with both open IE 1,700 and then Firefox is over 32,000.. I will say 7500 is a lot better is than 32,000 but i rather see 1,700... Thanks for the options ill check both of them out. post-11301-1149465589_thumb.jpg I just had to post so you can actually see that it is 32,000

I try to stay away from using straight IE... IE 6 was a security nightmare. I use Maxthon browser, which is basically IE 6 with extra security features and tabbed browsing. I used to use netscape when they were one of the first to come out with tabbed browsing...

Thanks Damus I d/led Maxthon and its pretty nice, it runs a lot smoother than firefox, not as visually pretty, but ill get used to it, and i like how the tab system works. Again thanks for the suggestion.

I was just wondering if anyone is using the new Windows 7 beta 2 browser, and if so do they like it and how do they feel about it? I have been using firefox for over a year now, and it is still just to slow, but it is so much more secure and just has a lot of the options I want, I see w7b2 has some of the new stuff, but I looknig for an opinion, before I update. thanks.

I've used IE7+ pretty extensively since in the Vista Beta. It's definitely an improvement over IE6, but it's still buggy with some sites, even moreso than Firefox or Opera. I can't speak for the XP equivalent (IE7), which might run a bit better.

Try Opera as well. It too uses tabbing, has great mouse movement controls for navigation, and has never taxed my system resources, even with an unnatural amount of tabs open...

http://www.opera.com

- Garris

Out of the big 3, Opera is my favorite browser. No extensions to hunt for, it works great right out of the box. It's light on resources and is the fastest at rendering pages. That said, there's more incompatibility with certain sites because the market share is so low. In XP I find myself flipping back and forth between Opera 9 Beta (which is plenty stable for daily use) and Firefox.

Out of the big 3, Opera is my favorite browser.

Wow, I'm not the only one out there! :thumbsup: I have no idea why Opera hasn't taken off (my guess is since it was late to the IE alternative party after Firefox). My browsing life hasn't been the same since MouseLook... People are shocked at how rapidly I manipulate tabs with Opera. It's one of the reasons I can sneak time to post here during the day! ;)

I find myself flipping back and forth between Opera 9 Beta (which is plenty stable for daily use) and Firefox.

I too use Firefox for the rare Opera incompatibilities. How do you like Opera 9 Beta? I saw it's out, but haven't tried it yet. I'm always scared that with each new release, they'll bloat it a bit and it'll loose all of the slick, fast, elegant design that makes it such a pleasure to use.

- Garris

Wow, I'm not the only one out there! :thumbsup: I have no idea why Opera hasn't taken off (my guess is since it was late to the IE alternative party after Firefox).

- Garris

it's because opera wasn't free for so long. mozilla/netscape has been a big IE alternative for many years, while opera always cost money. firefox also gets a ton of publicity (and it's open source, which helps in that publicity). most people don't even know opera exists.

another major reason is that opera's interface isn't quite as similar to that of IE or firefox. while it's had tabbed browsing for so much longer, it setup quite a bit differently. i didn't like the change in interface when i tried opera. so i stick with firefox. i imagine when they release firefox 2.0, it'll be a bit quicker.

i, personally, hate IE and the beta1 of IE 7 that i tried wasn't much of an improvement.

I can't help but notice a lot of new posters and lurkers with usernames created in the past month or so both in here and the CT forum. Does this have anything to do with everyone getting out of school/college at the same time? No matter why so many people seem to be coming on board at the same time, welcome to UP!

anyone know how well the providence police department responds to calls about noise violations (Providence Code Chapter 16, Article III, sections 16-93.) and/or disorderly or indecent conduct (Providence Code Chapter 16, Article I, sections 16-3; someone yelling at you in a very threatening manner for something stupid like you asking them not to vacuum at 7am)? i may have the beginnings of a neighbor war on my hands... i've alraedy informed the landlady, but i know that the vacuum violates the noise ordinance and i know what the guy living downstairs said to me in the manner he said it violates the indecent conduct ordinance. so i'd like to know what my legal rights are and if the police actually take it seriously or if they'll just laugh at me.

anyone know how well the providence police department responds to calls about noise violations (Providence Code Chapter 16, Article III, sections 16-93.) and/or disorderly or indecent conduct (Providence Code Chapter 16, Article I, sections 16-3; someone yelling at you in a very threatening manner for something stupid like you asking them not to vacuum at 7am)? i may have the beginnings of a neighbor war on my hands... i've alraedy informed the landlady, but i know that the vacuum violates the noise ordinance and i know what the guy living downstairs said to me in the manner he said it violates the indecent conduct ordinance. so i'd like to know what my legal rights are and if the police actually take it seriously or if they'll just laugh at me.

The vacuum is that loud? Damn I'm glad my place is soundproofed.

The vacuum is that loud? Damn I'm glad my place is soundproofed.

it's woken me up at least 3 times now. the people below me are just the rudest of the rude. i asked that they didn't do it and i got chastised for it. the nerve of me to want to sleep at 7am (this was during the week).

Loud neighbors and barking dogs have the lowest priority. Expect a 2 hr wait on weekend nights. Road kill sits at the bottom of the list. ;)

this was during the week in the morning. i doubt there'd be a wait. do they take it seriously or would they just blow me off?

it's woken me up at least 3 times now. the people below me are just the rudest of the rude. i asked that they didn't do it and i got chastised for it. the nerve of me to want to sleep at 7am (this was during the week).

this was during the week in the morning. i doubt there'd be a wait. do they take it seriously or would they just blow me off?

Personally I think that you should bring it to your landlords attention. The police hate these types of calls. The cops could be doing something better. If you were a politician then believe me, they'd repond a lot sooner.

Personally I think that you should bring it to your landlords attention. The police hate these types of calls. The cops could be doing something better. If you were a politician then believe me, they'd repond a lot sooner.

the landlady knows already. i told her first thing after the guy nearly threatened me for asking them to be a bit more courteous.

i think these people bring new meaning to "rude island".

the landlady knows already. i told her first thing after the guy nearly threatened me for asking them to be a bit more courteous.

i think these people bring new meaning to "rude island".

Crappy neighbors are one of the hardest things to remedy, unfortunately. Well, hardest and easiest, since you always have the option of moving. If you aren't against moving, then there should be something in your lease which gives you the right to peaceful use of the premises or something like that. Tell her that the neighbors are violating that and for that reason you are terminating your residence there because the landlord is not providing that use. You are probably within rights to withhold some rent instead, but that could put you in a legal battle, so you can decide if it's worth it.

That said, unless you work an offshift, I don't think most courts are going to consider something that wakes you up at 7 AM to truly be a nuisance.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I think the poeple are being rude and could handle the situation better. But I'm not sure what your real legal recourse is. Start with your lease though, there should be a noise provision in that.

Crappy neighbors are one of the hardest things to remedy, unfortunately. Well, hardest and easiest, since you always have the option of moving. If you aren't against moving, then there should be something in your lease which gives you the right to peaceful use of the premises or something like that. Tell her that the neighbors are violating that and for that reason you are terminating your residence there because the landlord is not providing that use. You are probably within rights to withhold some rent instead, but that could put you in a legal battle, so you can decide if it's worth it.

That said, unless you work an offshift, I don't think most courts are going to consider something that wakes you up at 7 AM to truly be a nuisance.

I'm not saying you're wrong. I think the poeple are being rude and could handle the situation better. But I'm not sure what your real legal recourse is. Start with your lease though, there should be a noise provision in that.

there is a noise provision in my lease. i don't believe either of us are on leases anymore. i'm renting month-to-month now (it was a year lease, the lease expired last october, it's been month-to-month since). i'm 99% positive the woman downstairs is on month-to-month now as well (she's the only one originally slated to live there, he moved in with her a few months ago). the woman is basically on thin ice with the landlady. any real screw up and the landlady will find a reason to inform her she won't be renting to her anymore. i spoke with the landlady about it and she said to let her know of any future problems. i can move, but i don't have the time or money to move. i really like the apartment i'm living in. i can obviously no longer talk to the people downstairs about the problem because this guy seems like he'd rather throw punches than try to talk about how we can remedy the problem (before he moved in, i used to deal with problems with the woman without even having to go to the landlady). i have always been neighborly and told her when she forgot her keys in the door or left her car lights on or things like that. now i'm just not going to say anything to her. frankly, at this point i don't care if someone steals her keys and breaks in. my apartment is locked.

the noise ordinance for the city says you must keep noise, including machinery, below 50 dB. a vacuum is more than that, especially if it is loud enough to wake me up through the floor (it's not even like it's above me and moving over my ceiling). i'm also not a particularly light sleeper. minor noises don't wake me up, but loud noises do. my biggest worry is that something will happen again, i'll let the landlady know, she'll talk to them, and the guy will take it out on me (they aren't particularly bright considering they left a bike unlocked on the front porch... a few days later it was gone, no surprise there). maybe i'm being stubborn for not feeling like i need to move, but i will let my landlady know the reason i decided to move if it comes to that. i'm sure then she'll start to think about whether or not it's worth allowing these people to stay.

Thanks Damus I d/led Maxthon and its pretty nice, it runs a lot smoother than firefox, not as visually pretty, but ill get used to it, and i like how the tab system works. Again thanks for the suggestion.

Someone downloaded the upgraded version of Maxthon on this computer.. Why did they put every button imaginable on the "standard buttons" bar? Given that their target is the more computer literate audience, I'm sure most of the Maxthon users know how to go and screw with the internet/maxthon options, or press ctrl+f to find something. I reverted back to the same ole' settings I had before wth just a link to the control panel, the reload closed tabs, and go up one level to go with the normal IE buttons..

Someone downloaded the upgraded version of Maxthon on this computer.. Why did they put every button imaginable on the "standard buttons" bar? Given that their target is the more computer literate audience, I'm sure most of the Maxthon users know how to go and screw with the internet/maxthon options, or press ctrl+f to find something. I reverted back to the same ole' settings I had before wth just a link to the control panel, the reload closed tabs, and go up one level to go with the normal IE buttons..

Yea there were way to many buttons, I took everything out but the address bar, search bar, and I have my links on a bar, they had buttons for everything you could think of, and I didn't like how they had drop downs almost every button, it just looks so ugly, so I took all those back, forwards, stop, refresh etc... buttons out because they were a bit much, and a bit ugly.

Ok, here's a non-specific topic/question. While I was in L.A., I noted many chain stores in historic buildings (or in newer buildings designed to match neighboring older buildings) had facades designed to match the historic context. For example, a Staples on Miracle Mile with art deco signage and detailing, a Rite Aid with Spanish Mission Style lettering and detailing, a McDonalds with what I can only call California 30's style swoopiness with similar detailing and lettering.

For years, we keep hearing that chains can't/won't change any of their corporate "look" for the sake of communities. That it erodes their branding and puts their business at risk. So we get bland, cookie cutter Brooks, banal CVS's, anyplace-USA strip plazas, etc.

But my trip to L.A. seem to stand as dramatic evidence that this isn't a universal rule. How and why do neighborhoods like the ones in L.A. get fanastic facades and period architecture and detailing, while we get the corporate kit? It's like Sierra Suites... Our design looked as airport-hotel as could be, while the Sierra Suites in Napa, CA is gorgeous.

Is it zoning? High community standards? What do we do to get that level of design?

- Garris

Edited by Garris

I think it's retail density. While when a new business comes to Providence we're often eager to get it and legitimately need it because it's filling a void in our retail scene (see Walmart on Charles Street), in places like Boston, LA, and NYC they have more retail than they need, so the city can be more picky. Also, there's more competition, so the retailers themselves want to act as if they are part of the community and care about the community, whereas here, retailers can just set up shop and take our money and not have to pretend they give a damn.