Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two random thought before I leave on vacation...

1) Brown seems to have placed a big "Brown University Molecular Medicine" sign on one of its Jewelry District buildings clear for everyone to see from 195... Interesting...

2) I went to some of the commercial areas of Warwick for the first time a couple of days ago (Airport Rd, Rt 1, Warwick Ave, etc)... Man, what a depressing, nausea inducing strip-mall wasteland! One of the worst I've ever seen... I drove back to Providence near screaming.... Whew...

- Garris

2) I went to some of the commercial areas of Warwick for the first time a couple of days ago (Airport Rd, Rt 1, Warwick Ave, etc)...  Man, what a depressing, nausea inducing strip-mall wasteland!  One of the worst I've ever seen...  I drove back to Providence near screaming....  Whew...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: Hey Garris that's my backyard damnit! No you're right though...Warwick (or atleast Warwick minus Cowesett/Route 2 area) is just another one of those old suburbs that people are exiting just like the exited core cities in the 50's and 60's, only instead of leaving behind old industrial buildings/manufacturing centers, they're leaving behind old strip malls like the Ann&Hope one, while trying to rejuvenate others like Airport Plaza...

At least we have a Hooters though! :whistling:

If you thought this was bad, take a ride down Bald Hill Road/Quaker Ln (Route 2)-its thriving but its gotta be one of the worst big box strips pedestrian/auto nightmares around.

Two random thought before I leave on vacation...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm heading off for a short vacation tomorrow morning too, I'll be on the Vineyard through Sunday.

1) Brown seems to have placed a big "Brown University Molecular Medicine" sign on one of its Jewelry District buildings clear for everyone to see from 195...  Interesting...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it the 70 Ship Street Building? Last year they were discussing putting a large lit sign at the top of the building visible from 195, but I think they scrapped the idea because of the cost.

2) I went to some of the commercial areas of Warwick for the first time a couple of days ago (Airport Rd, Rt 1, Warwick Ave, etc)...  Man, what a depressing, nausea inducing strip-mall wasteland!  One of the worst I've ever seen...  I drove back to Providence near screaming....  Whew...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was on Route 6 in Seekonk this weekend, I had a Target gift card to spend. My eyes were bleeding.

I'm heading off for a short vacation tomorrow morning too, I'll be on the Vineyard through Sunday.

I hope you enjoyed your trek. I just came back from several days in Ogunquit, Maine. It's a short homecoming, though, as I'm off to the Cape for a wedding tomorrow...

Is it the 70 Ship Street Building? Last year they were discussing putting a large lit sign at the top of the building visible from 195, but I think they scrapped the idea because of the cost.

I believe it is. I wasn't willing to risk life and limb slowing down on 195 to check it out... I don't believe it's lit, so maybe they compromised on cost :)

I was on Route 6 in Seekonk this weekend, I had a Target gift card to spend. My eyes were bleeding.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, Rt 6 in Seekonk is much better than either of the Warwick routes... At least Rt 6 is more spread out and new... The Warwick routes are dense, loud, and vulgar...

- Garris

I believe it is.  I wasn't willing to risk life and limb slowing down on 195 to check it out...  I don't believe it's lit, so maybe they compromised on cost :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is 70 Ship, but it's not the sign they were originally proposing, which I thought was pretty neat, but was going to cost a fortune.

Some random observations after being away for several days:

- After walking on pristine sidewalks in downtowns in Maine and the Cape, it highlights more and more how Providence's earthquake-like pedestrian areas are without excuse. How much would it cost to work on this citywide?

- The graffiti problem is getting worse and worse. Wayland Sq was tagged badly during the week. The highlight Runcible Spoon building has a huge new tag on the side and even our condo's garages were hit. Thankfully, we've painted over it within a few days of the tag. It's past due for the city to do something about this. I don't know what it will take... Surveillance cameras, graffiti police team, graffiti swat removal team, I don't know... I'm e-mailing the Mayor and the Chamber. Someone from NYC we drove back from the Cape to the train station looked around and said, "Wow, the graffiti's like the Bronx during the 80's." Ouch...

- Boy, we have some good food in Providence. After eating at what were some reportedly excellent food places in Maine and the Cape, it's pretty pedestrian compared to what we have here in Providence.

- It's really nice to be home :). Other than the above rants, Providence is quite a special city.

- Garris

Edited by Garris

• 3 weeks later...

Hi... just found this forum... great stuff...

Always interested in what development projects are going on in PVD... very excited with all the proposals... even more excited that a number of them seem to be coming to fruition (for how many years were there always 10 proposed hotel projects... and only one ever got built?)

A bit of a traditionalist architecturally-speaking... but not necessarily David Brussat's lackey.

Live in a small two-family on Broadway and love it. After spending too many years in overpriced and underinsulated East Side fare, I bought a house right before the market took off. Best investment I've ever made. *Kicking myself for not buying Chico's stock as was recommended*

Good stuff here that I've seen so far... Thanks

Michael

For those interested in one of the coolest things on the internet try this link and download the first option. If you like google maps and want to see something that blows it out of the water you will want to see this.

http://desktop.google.com/download/earth/index.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks! It was fun to zoom in on my house :D

Yeah, this was easily the best web thing for maybe a year.. Everyone in the office was on it all week..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amazing... I like being able to just type in an address and the program zooms right in on it. :thumbsup:

Thanks - gotta love those Google people.

For those interested in one of the coolest things on the internet try this link and download the first option. If you like google maps and want to see something that blows it out of the water you will want to see this.

http://desktop.google.com/download/earth/index.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has anyone experienced any problems with their computer since installing google earth? I have had problems starting Windows and my DVD drive somehow DISAPPEARED from my system. As a matter of fact my DVD drive won't even open. This went on for 2 days. But now I just noticed that the google symbol has DISAPPEARED from my desktop. Hmmmm :wacko:

Edited by Frankie811

Has anyone experienced any problems with their computer since installing google earth? I have had problems starting Windows and my DVD drive somehow DISAPPEARED from my system. As a matter of fact my DVD drive won't even open. This went on for 2 days. But now I just noticed that the google symbol has DISAPPEARED from my desktop. Hmmmm  :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They actually withdrew it for a few days, but it seems to be back on offer again: GoogleEarth

They don't have Mac support yet, and I haven't bothered to download it on my PC.

hey everyone!Lived in RI all my life untill 7 months ago, grew up in woonsocket, lived in Mt. Pleasant till i moved.Moved to Norfolk, Virginia, What a culture shock...LOL...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi - wow - I was born and raised in providence and then when I was 10 we moved to Norfolk, Va. - When I first got there I was taken back by the country accents, the nasty tasting water and the heat. when relatives visited from RI - they would say they felt it was such a slow moving city - everyone else outside of our family who tried to relocate to virginia always moved back to providence because they felt Virginia was too slow and boring. I currently reside in the DC metro area.