Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

You need a computer on and running for Skype. I got a really nifty phone for it for $70, though. You just connect a USB base station to your computer and put the headset wherever you want. It's quite handy because I'm no longer tethered to the computer.

I really love Skype. It's quite handy when my dad travels so he doesn't have a massive hotel phone bill. The only thing I don't like is that your outgoing calls appear as +001234567 on caller ID.

that's a bit pricey for a phone... i prefer the cheapo ones, plus i have a couple of cordless ones.

i like that outgoing caller id thing. it's kind of nice because it works as a caller id blocker.

i may have to look into skype. i checked out vonage, but the price difference between cancelling my cox phone line and losing the cox $10 discount and the vonage price wasn't anything worthwhile (in fact, i think it would've cost me more).

I cancelled my home phone today. I should probably get a new cell phone, mines like 6 years old and the size of a brick. I use it about once every 8 weeks. I hate using the phone.

i'm still considering it, but i lose my cox $10 discount and the phone line is only about another $10 if you include the discount. maybe when i change my cell number to a RI number i'll cancel the landline.

i use my cell phone for all my long distance calls, and people tend to call me on my home phone, which i like because i can hear it. i tend not to hear my cell phone all the time when it rings because i usually keep it in the bedroom and sometimes forget to take it off vibrate.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how's the service and sound quality? i've heard complaints about dropped calls and low sound quality from vonage.

I have had wonage for over four months. Not once have I had a problem. I was very tentitive at first but now i enjoy saving what I do. I also like the little toys that come with the service. Phone call recording, caller ID pop up on my comptuer. Email log of who calls, just a bunch of little stuff.

how's the service and sound quality? i've heard complaints about dropped calls and low sound quality from vonage.

As long as you have fast Internet, you're fine. On my computer, Skype to Skype calls sound like the other person is in the room. Regular phone calls are good as well, it just depends on the other person's connection.

When I use my Skype phone it just sounds like a regular cordless phone, but Skype to Skype calls are still slightly better.

i love vonage as well. i've had it for a little over a year and ported it back and forth to VA. I love that i can check my messages while i'm on the beach in hawaii, but currently i have no interest in having that little USB thing so i can get my calls no matter where i am. I just like getting my voice mail no matter where i am.

i love vonage as well. i've had it for a little over a year and ported it back and forth to VA. I love that i can check my messages while i'm on the beach in hawaii, but currently i have no interest in having that little USB thing so i can get my calls no matter where i am. I just like getting my voice mail no matter where i am.

You don't need the USB thing to use Skype - it's a complete addon. If you're on a computer that has Skype, you can get your voicemail.

You can also have calls forwarded if you like.

yes, they are resestablishing some of the walking trails, and trying to get rid of some invasive species etc.

that's good to hear. i'm always in favor of removing invasives. it ticks me off to no end when invasive species are planted as a form of "pretty landscaping" while there's plenty of native species that look just as good.

I'm getting these survey calls on my cell phone. I've been ignoring the number. I thought they weren't allowed to call cell phones?

tell them it's a cell phone, i'm sure they'll stop calling. i once had a collection agency calling my cell phone. of course they were looking for someone else. after the third or fourth time, i told them it was a cell phone they were calling and they immediately stopped.

i guess one way to avoid collection agencies is to give them the wrong number. :whistling:

i'm waiting for the calls to start again now that sunday's gone.

marketing surveys and charities looking for donations are exempt from the do not call list.

That's fine but since 90% of surveys seem to be politically motivated or end up trying to sell you something, they actually are under the umbrella of the law. Also, most charities use third party telemarketers and after you tell that telemarketer that you don't want to receive any more phone calls on behalf of XYZ, they will leave you alone.

FWIW, I haven't received an unsolicited call in about 4 years other than folks calling for previous holders of the number.

That's fine but since 90% of surveys seem to be politically motivated or end up trying to sell you something, they actually are under the umbrella of the law. Also, most charities use third party telemarketers and after you tell that telemarketer that you don't want to receive any more phone calls on behalf of XYZ, they will leave you alone.

FWIW, I haven't received an unsolicited call in about 4 years other than folks calling for previous holders of the number.

if you see some of my other posts, some of the surveys will tell you that they are exempt.

political surveys are also exempt. i was getting a lot of those in the 2 weeks before the primary. i expect i'll get more the last 2 weeks of october.

i'm on the do not call registry as well with both my landline and cell number.

i guess one way to avoid collection agencies is to give them the wrong number. :whistling:

This isn't always an option. There are some folks who legitimately need a means of contacting you. Unfortunately, discerning who these are, or even which of them will sell you number, isn't a trivial task.

As for just telling them its a cellphone, this doesn't always work either. As someone pointed out, simply telling them to take you "off the list" hasn't been working.

My friend gets about 4 calls per day from the office of Sheldon Whitehouse. She doesn't live in RI anymore, and has asked with each call to be removed from the list. Still, they call.

The next thing, is to start calling the management of these agencies and complaining, but its bad enough that we're receiving these calls. Now we need to take time out of our day to find who to call to complain, then call and complain. Inconvenient to say the least.

This isn't always an option. There are some folks who legitimately need a means of contacting you. Unfortunately, discerning who these are, or even which of them will sell you number, isn't a trivial task.

As for just telling them its a cellphone, this doesn't always work either. As someone pointed out, simply telling them to take you "off the list" hasn't been working.

My friend gets about 4 calls per day from the office of Sheldon Whitehouse. She doesn't live in RI anymore, and has asked with each call to be removed from the list. Still, they call.

The next thing, is to start calling the management of these agencies and complaining, but its bad enough that we're receiving these calls. Now we need to take time out of our day to find who to call to complain, then call and complain. Inconvenient to say the least.

i read something about avoiding calls. one thing that was suggested was to put an extension at the end of your number... like 401-555-1234 x12. they can't put that into the auto-dialers, which are how your number gets dialed, but those who need to reach you legitimately can because it's actually a person dialing the phone.

the only places that have my phone number are my bank, my utilities, and my credit cards. so unless the credit card companies sold my number, i have no idea what the deal is. i'm thinking of having my number unlisted as well so it's not publicly available in the phonebook. although that has proven helpful and unhelpful...

i had some problems with a car accident and the insurance company from the person that hit me mailed me a check, but put the wrong address on the envelope. amazingly, the woman who got it has a son with the same exact name as me (first and last) and she lives on the same street in a similarly numbered house. she looked up my number and called me to let me know she had the check.

one other time, i got a call from someone complaining about a car dealership on mineral spring that has the same name as my last name.

Hi everyone,

Here are the rest of my photographs from Philadelphia, and one more from New Haven:

Masonic Temple entrance in Philadelphia:

original.jpg

A corner of 30th Street Station in Philly:

original.jpg

Like in Providence, there are many in Philadelphia decrying all of the gentrification that hasn't really yet happened. You don't need to look far to find many character filled, gritty street scenes like this one...

original.jpg

How to photograph a well known city icon? Hopefully, in a way others haven't yet. I stood on the top of a concrete wall to get this side image of the famous "Love" art piece. I turned the background black and white. The colors of the Love sculpture itself are completely unaltered, and are that blindingly bright in real life.

original.jpg

A stunning exit out of a downtown hotel, looking at the Masonic Temple on the right, and City Hall on the Left in Philadelphia.

original.jpg

The Port of New Haven. I believe the ship moving to port at sunset here is the Amistad, the slave ship that was the topic of the movie of the same name whose home port is New Haven. From the top of the parking garage at Long Wharf.

original.jpg

- Garris

Edited by Garris

graet pics as always.

i love the philly city hall. i am impressed by how it stands out in the skyline, and i love that it's such a central part of the city (and it's sheer massiveness).

and philly is still quite gritty, all over even. to be honest, i haven't seen too much gentrification there.

as for the new haven pic, yes, that's the amistad (although, it coudl be the quinnipiak, another ship from the new haven area). the amistad was built relatively recently (in the mid-90's) as sort of a freedom ship. it's not the original amistad slave ship. but it was built in conjunction with the movie.

What are people's opinions of stamped concrete sidewalks made to look like brick? They are putting these in Pawtuxet Village right now (crosswalks as well) and I can't decide if I like them or not. Sure they match the whole villagey atmosphere but they're so fake looking I think I'd rather see regular concrete with maybe some brick outlining. I won't complain though, since the village is getting new crosswalks, bumpouts and sidewalks as part of RIDOT traffic calming enhancement project.