Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a bird poop on you or something?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooooh, I think you need to reassess that one...details?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The ones on Exchange Street, right before its intersection with Memorial Blvd, I hate them. I hit them every day, they're half dead, and they take up half the sidewalk. Aren't they a pain in the ass to maintain with the roots and the damn grates over them anyway?

I guess I'm bitter cause I got wacked in the head by a branch this morning. Are they really necessary though? I know they add much needed green to city streets but they just seem stupid to me.

Talk about a pathetic petty rant, I'll shut up now.

The city actually needs to maintain it's trees. If there's a tree that's an impediment to navigation, you should let the city know. I'm not exactly sure who in the city though.

RISD recently planted new street trees (yes, the colleges give nothing back to the city, let's charge the students fees :rolleyes: ), I was happy to see them going in.

Ughh, I was showing some people some pics of the projects going up downtown this week (Intercontinental, GTECH, 110, etc.), and all I got was negativity....

One person was mad that "all that green" around Waterplace park was going away.... :rolleyes:

Another was complaining that it will be too congested..... :rolleyes:

And my favorite, when I said that "density is good, Providence is becoming a real urban city", I got "ohhh I don't want Providence to be a real city!".... :rolleyes::sick:

People just don't get it. We gotta set them straight. :whistling:

Ughh, I was showing some people some pics of the projects going up downtown this week (Intercontinental, GTECH, 110, etc.), and all I got was negativity....

One person was mad that "all that green" around Waterplace park was going away.... :rolleyes:

And my favorite, when I said that "density is good, Providence is becoming a real urban city", I got "ohhh I don't want Providence to be a real city!".... :rolleyes:  :sick:

People just don't get it.  We gotta set them straight.  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I get is "who wants to live in Providence" or "we don't need luxury condo's, but affordable housing". All ya can do is shake your head.

And my favorite, when I said that "density is good, Providence is becoming a real urban city", I got "ohhh I don't want Providence to be a real city!".... :rolleyes:  :sick:

People just don't get it.  We gotta set them straight.  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear this stuff all the time too! I really have to restrain myself when going to Waterfire and overhearing person after person saying how "... it's a shame that they're leting GTECH ruin WaterPlace..." , and how the codo towers will make everything too congested.

Even friends of mine have talked about losing all that "GREEN" space. I have to keep reminding them that Capital Center wasn't designed to be huge open spaces but a place for economic expansion to take place (in the form of office and residential towers).

Some of my co-workers have said they'd like to live at Waterplace. I have a co-worker who has a condo in Florida, and his wife is about sick of sitting on pins-and-needles everytime a hurricane forms (they got hit hard last year). They may sell out of Florida and look for a place up this way.

Some of my co-workers have said they'd like to live at Waterplace. I have a co-worker who has a condo in Florida, and his wife is about sick of sitting on pins-and-needles everytime a hurricane forms (they got hit hard last year). They may sell out of Florida and look for a place up this way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Florida is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there :whistling: I have a feeling there are many Floridians who have just about had it, and are ready to move. As for myself, I have completely scraped my plans to retire there. I just couldn't go through what some of those people have had to deal with :cry: Looks like I'll become a snow bird B)

Providence Monthly announced in this month's issue that they are moving from their North Main Street headquarters to new digs on Valley Street. Should prove interesting for coverage of things on the West Side. I was talking to someone recently who works there and saying that I wished there was a West Side Monthly the way there is an East Side Monthly.

Providence Monthly announced in this month's issue that they are moving from their North Main Street headquarters to new digs on Valley Street. Should prove interesting for coverage of things on the West Side. I was talking to someone recently who works there and saying that I wished there was a West Side Monthly the way there is an East Side Monthly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I saw that notice. I was wondering how their workers felt about moving away from downtown and the bar next door. Is the building they are moving to in the Rising Sun complex?

Not to cut in on this conversation, but I just wanted to introduce myself to the Providence forums. I've been reading them for a month or two, and I'm pretty psyched to find a place where people have all of these same interests as me. I think the city should hire a bunch of us for an urban design & planning committee....

Anyway I grew up in Providence, moved back last year after 5 years of college in upstate NY, bartending on Cape Cod in the summer, and living in Stowe VT after school....and now I'm hoping to apply to grad school. By then they should have a spot for me in urban planning & design in Providence ;)

Alright, back to work....

Not to cut in on this conversation, but I just wanted to introduce myself to the Providence forums. I've been reading them for a month or two, and I'm pretty psyched to find a place where people have all of these same interests as me. I think the city should hire a bunch of us for an urban design & planning committee....

Anyway I grew up in Providence, moved back last year after 5 years of college in upstate NY, bartending on Cape Cod in the summer, and living in Stowe VT after school....and now I'm hoping to apply to grad school.  By then they should have a spot for me in urban planning & design in Providence  ;)

Alright, back to work....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

where in NY did you go to school? I'm at SUNY Albany right now, can't wait to move back here permanently in december....

where in NY did you go to school?  I'm at SUNY Albany right now, can't wait to move back here permanently in december....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ham-tech, also known as Hamilton College. It's just west of the Middle of Nowhere.

I've never really spent time in Albany, I've visited friends in Troy though...but I understand why you want to move back.

Welcome!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello hello,

Just wanted to thank all the contributors to the Providence forums--I'm moving into a Federal Hill apartment in August and this really helped me get my bearings in a new city.

BTW, anybody know of a good jogging route or tracks around Federal Hill?

You guys rock.

Hello hello,

Just wanted to thank all the contributors to the Providence forums--I'm moving into a Federal Hill apartment in August and this really helped me get my bearings in a new city.

BTW, anybody know of a good jogging route or tracks around Federal Hill?

You guys rock.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First, welcome! That's a good question... I'm wondering if down in the Promenade would be a good place to run. Broadway might also work... I've run a couple times in Waterplace at off hours, and that worked nicely. How far are you looking to run?

I live on the East Side, so I run on the excellent Blackstone jogging trail, which is virtually a perfect 5K. I know some people looking to run longer distances run on the East Providence bike trail as well.

- Garris

Providence, RI

PS: The CVS Downtown 5K is coming up this 9/11. Several thousand people run. It's a great race.

Running along Promenade used to be nice until they blocked half the road for construction.... In a year or two the completed Woonasquatucket River Bikeway will be really nice to run on, from the mall all the way out to Johnston along the river. I know parts of it are complete (portions near Buttonhole Golf course, along Promenade/Kinsley Ave) but its discontinuous currently.

I ran once from Promenade through the mall underpass, into Waterplace down to 195 on the riverwalk, then turned around and went up to Exchange St. past the train station and then up Capitol Hill and around the State House a few times. Doing laps around the State House (Francis, Gaspee, Smith Streets) is nice because you don't have to stop for traffic at all, it has nice ups and downs and I think one lap is around .5 miles.

Running along Promenade used to be nice until they blocked half the road for construction.... In a year or two the completed Woonasquatucket River Bikeway will be really nice to run on, from the mall all the way out to Johnston along the river.  I know parts of it are complete (portions near Buttonhole Golf course, along Promenade/Kinsley Ave) but its discontinuous currently. 

I ran once from Promenade through the mall underpass, into Waterplace down to 195 on the riverwalk, then turned around and went up to Exchange St. past the train station and then up Capitol Hill and around the State House a few times.  Doing laps around the State House (Francis, Gaspee, Smith Streets) is nice because you don't have to stop for traffic at all, it has nice ups and downs and I think one lap is around .5 miles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We can call it the Capital Center Run! Hit all the parcels :D

Why are Exchange St. and Park Row covered in horsesh*t today?  Does Providence have horse rides on the weekend or something?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, what happened with that? We use to have them. Some stable out in NW RI, I think. They started from Exchange Terrace. Haven't seen them in a while.

For those interested in one of the coolest things on the internet try this link and download the first option. If you like google maps and want to see something that blows it out of the water you will want to see this.

http://desktop.google.com/download/earth/index.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My computer hasen't been right since I downloaded this. Anyone else?