property - 29,260

Murder - 34

Rape - 321

Robbery - 776

Assault - 1,572

Burglary - 5,318

Larceny - 19,544

Vechicle - 4,398

Just got to see population has risen and crime has gone down. Also is there a statistics topic? because I always want to post these, but am not sure where.

Edited by dgreco

I don't have full numbers for 2006 (since 2006 isn't actually over yet) but the murder over the weekend at Pulse was our 11th. Zero would be ideal obviously, but 11 is a significant drop.
I saw that on the news, but I was wondering was that just providence? or the state? because that seems really low, but that could be a good thing.

it would be interesting to map these stats to show which crimes happen where.

here is the source http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/ they may have it broken down, I haven't looked yet.

sorry to double post, but according to US States Crime 2004 -2005 Crimes per 100,000 and Ranking, RI is the 6th safest state, and 8th safest place is the US is you count DC and PR.

Why would we drop to 8th if you add DC and PR, DC and PR are safer than us, both in the top ten? PR maybe, but DC? Is maybe USVI and Guam added to those expanded stats as well?

I don't have full numbers for 2006 (since 2006 isn't actually over yet) but the murder over the weekend at Pulse was our 11th. Zero would be ideal obviously, but 11 is a significant drop.

Boston just reported their 74th homicide for 2006. :shok:

Man, 20, killed as revelers enter city

Shooting near South Station

A 20 -year-old man was fatally shot yesterday just blocks from busy South Station as revelers for Boston's First Night celebration poured into the city.

The victim was the city's 74th homicide of 2006, one shy of last year's total, which made 2005 one of Boston's bloodiest year s in a decade.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus...ers_enter_city/

for those of you closely following my fantasy life, i did not win the final, championship game of my fantasy football league. :(

I was rooting for you to take the title home...

I finished my season 3-10, and ended up making it to the finals, to lose 170-60, but that was over a week ago.

Edited by dgreco

also, where is the parks/greenspace thread going to end up...?

Providence, I suppose. Unless we want to expand the discussion to cover the whole state.

Did you go to the inauguration? We need to hold David's feet to the fire regarding the things he said about the environment and making Providence a green city (as well as the things he said about transit, housing, education...).

Providence, I suppose. Unless we want to expand the discussion to cover the whole state.

Did you go to the inauguration? We need to hold David's feet to the fire regarding the things he said about the environment and making Providence a green city (as well as the things he said about transit, housing, education...).

i didn't go but i read the highlights. I'm thinking of going to the ball wearing nothing but leaves. Big leaves of course.

Hey everyone,

I finished my tough hospital rotation and am taking a few days off, some of which I'm spending right now in Montreal. It's been a brutal trip photography-wise (overcast weather, cloudless nights, bone-chilling cold, harsh daylight, and wind... Lots of blurriness inducing wind...).

I have processed one of my best photos of the trip thus far and thought I would share it. It unfortunately might be the only photo I share if things keep up like this :(, but here it is: A moon rises over Montreal's Skyline looking Southeast...

7628smgk1.jpg

I look forward to posting my Montreal impressions (and catch up on the, oh, about 600 UP-Prov posts I've missed over the last few days) when I get back.

Happy New Year everyone!

- Garris

Edited by Garris

I finished my tough hospital rotation and am taking a few days off, some of which I'm spending right now in Montreal. It's been a brutal trip photography-wise (overcast weather, cloudless nights, bone-chilling cold, harsh daylight, and wind... Lots of blurriness inducing wind...).

I was just in Montreal too...fantastic time. The Hotel Gault was really amazing and I highly recommend, as well as O' Chalet for dinner.

Very nice pic, Garris. I can attest to the bone-chilling cold!

I was just in Montreal too...fantastic time.

Overall (see below), my experience has been a positive one. It has some achingly beautiful neighborhoods...

Unfortunately, though, I had a downright scary experience this evening that abrupted ended any photography for this visit, as I was physically assaulted by a man while photographing. This was on the riverwalk area in the Old Port/Old Montreal section right across from the History Museum, essentially their Waterplace park.

I was setting up a shot when the man rushed at me from my right. I braced for his impact, but it still sent all of my equipment and gear flying everywhere. I yelled for help as he tried to drag me to the ground and was hitting my face. I literally threw him off me and and I hoped that would be it, but he came at me again and tried to do the same. I again didn't go down and again threw him off and urged him to calm down, telling him he could take anything he wanted and go. He said he didn't want my camera, but wanted money. I gave him what I had (about $30 Canadian), and he got mad, saying it wasn't enough and he, oddly, ripped up the bills. I showed him my wallet was empty and he seemed to get really mad, and I got really worried about his mental state and that he was going to rush me for a third time and started to hope he didn't have a weapon. Thankfully, he saw some people strolling towards us and bolted down the riverwalk out of view.

Amazingly, this happened in a very visible, well trafficed area in view of about 6-8 people (and someone cycling), all of whom were within 40-60 feet of me. Not a single person intervened and no one came up to me afterwards to see if I was OK. Everyone just kept strolling along, some not even looking at me.

Thankfully, I'm fine. Two bumps on my forehead, a small cut on one of the bumps, and a sore side from the struggle. My jacket's damaged and the camera is badly scuffed in one area, but who knows what this guy was high on (why rip up the money, even if only $30?) and I consider myself enormously lucky this wasn't worse...

I went to a police station to report it and to say the officers were dismissive would be an understatement. Let's see, they told me:

- "Your injuries aren't that bad at all... You don't need a doctor or anything..."

- "He doesn't have anything of yours, right?"

- "You wouldn't actually come up and testify if we found him, right?"

- "You realize this report means we'd need to send out an officer to look for him now, even though you say he fled..."

- "Why didn't you call 911 right away?"

- "Are you really sure you want to press charges?" (I was asked that no less than 3 times)

- "So were you really assaulted?" Me: "Well, he was punching my face with his fists and trying to wrestle me to the ground, twice..." Officer: <Sigh> "Yeah, I guess..."

The station, I believe at the Eastern edge of the gay-lesbian part of town called "The Village," felt itself in an unsafe area. I was dismissed with a copy of the data of the complaint and an, "All done..." No offer to drive me back anywhere, not even an instruction of how to get back anywhere. Nice...

My favorite line of the night was when they asked if anyone else was nearby and I expressed surprise that no one nearby had come to help at all, the officer chuckled and said, "This must be your first time in Montreal."

Again, feel lucky to be back here able to post... :) Back home tomorrow... Good night!

- Garris