Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

Matt's got the flu? I'm down with a virus I picked up in my recent visit to San Francisco this week :(. Enough of these viruses this year!!

Question for everyone: My sister and I would like to donate some books we have to somewhere locally. I can't find any reference on the PPL pages if they accept book donations (they're very happy to take cash, though).

Does anyone know of an institution to donate books to? One that distributes them to the elderly, nursing homes, anywhere? Thanks!

- Garris

PPL definitely accepts donated books. (I donated a bunch a couple of years ago.) I would call the reference desk to schedule a drop off if you have a large number and you need a receipt for tax purposes. Alternatively, if you have a small number, you can simply put them in the return slot of the library and they will treat the books as donations.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a book here and there Book Crossing can be fun.

The basic idea is that you but a label inside the front cover and just leave the book somewhere where anyone can pick it up. They get a free book. The fun part is that when they read your label there is an ID and if they chose to go to the site they can enter the ID and were the book was found and you can track where your book goes. Obviously lots of books will never get their ID entered but it is still kind of fun to see how far and how fast your books can travel. It seems that leaving them in the seat pockets of planes is not uncommon.

The last time I cleaned out my collection in bulk I donated over 300 books to a local school's library / English department. They really needed the books and were very happy to get them.

what makes a book prison safe?

i guess no really violent books of books of a sexual either. Helter Skelter would be Right OUT and i don't think they took my copy of In Cold Blood which is too bad because it is great writing, especially for the kind of writing my mother teaches... Mostly Mom brought all the books i used to write my thesis which was on literary journalism so i had a bunch of books of essays, memoirs and the like.

my mother teaches creative writing at the Women's prison in CT and she says their library is a sorry state, so when i moved i gave her 12 cartons of "prison safe" books that she donated, so if you have trouble finding homes for your books, i can give them to her to augment the library.

I have a lot of books about Ireland and Irish History that I got when my dad died. Do you think these would be of any interest? I've been looking for a home for them.

I have a lot of books about Ireland and Irish History that I got when my dad died. Do you think these would be of any interest? I've been looking for a home for them.

absolutely. I'll take anyone's books and give them to my mom. she weeds out the stuff they won't accept and gives it to my grandmother's nursing home. which, btw, is a catholic run nursing home so they love the sex and crime books. :)

Supersomethingorother. ;)

Yup, and should be a good game too... A classic offense/defense struggle that I (and probably everyone else) think the Colts will take handily.

Win or lose, Manning earns his superbowl appearance and addresses the only blemish left on an otherwise legendary career.

- Garris

does anyone get seltzer delivery from Stella Brothers? they had some trouble with their driver back around thanksgiving and no one has seen them since! i have emailed them to no avail but i have three cases of empty bottles and no seltzer! i'm startingn to get a little antsy here. I've become quite acoustomed to my special seltzer--the stuff in plastic bottles just won't cut it anymore...

does anyone get seltzer delivery from Stella Brothers? they had some trouble with their driver back around thanksgiving and no one has seen them since! i have emailed them to no avail but i have three cases of empty bottles and no seltzer! i'm startingn to get a little antsy here. I've become quite acoustomed to my special seltzer--the stuff in plastic bottles just won't cut it anymore...

Did you try calling them? (401) 723-5900

Thank goodness for this, considering that I won $ 4,250 in Keno last year. IRS pushes back tax filing deadline. Taxpayers around the country will get an extra two days, until April 17, to file 2006 returns and pay taxes owed, the Internal Revenue Service said Wednesday.

http://www.boston.com/business/taxes/artic...iling_deadline/

Thank goodness for this, considering that I won $ 4,250 in Keno last year. IRS pushes back tax filing deadline. Taxpayers around the country will get an extra two days, until April 17, to file 2006 returns and pay taxes owed, the Internal Revenue Service said Wednesday.

http://www.boston.com/business/taxes/artic...iling_deadline/

that's because tax day is a sunday this year.

you guys are all so sweet! :wub:

It was actually just the kitchen pipes, which for some reason are plumbed from the bathroom where the cold water line comes in, thru the attic (no heat) and then down the outside kitchen wall, right next to the lead pipe thingy that goes right to the outside. Pipes are made from some fabulous material that somehow flexes and doesn't burst, so once things thawed out (and they did by the time we got home at 9 tonite) all was fine. now we just know to keep the sink tap dripping--much to the delight of the cats.

thanks, everyone, for your concern. I am washing dishes RIGHT NOW!

oh, and we're going to wrap them with insulation, like, TOMORROW.

Edited by jencoleslaw

We had the same problem and verily, the wind can disrupt the hot water in the kitchen :blink: I had a post traumatic stress flashback and thought I was back in Green Acres with the goats crowing and the chickens bleating. A bowl of chowder brought me back safely.

Meg

We had the same problem and verily, the wind can disrupt the hot water in the kitchen :blink: I had a post traumatic stress flashback and thought I was back in Green Acres with the goats crowing and the chickens bleating. A bowl of chowder brought me back safely.

Meg

i've seen the wind make my water flicker... it's weird. of course i can also feel the wind blowing through my walls at times.

i am ready for fantasy (and real) baseball.

me too... go yankees!!