Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone please define "family friendly" for me.

in what context? it could mean a lot of things... for instance a restaurant would be a bit larger with lots of tables that can accommodate 4 or more and be a bit more on the casual side. a tv show would not include many sexual or drug references and would use relatively clean language and not contain much, if any, violence. music would not have themes of violence, drug use, sex, or bad language.

In so far as it relates to where one chooses to live. If one place is "family friendly" does that mean others are "family unfriendly?"

hmmm... that's the one context i could not think of. i don't know if i'd consider anywhere to be family unfriendly really. maybe oakland ave, but even that has families and a church. so really there's nowhere i could think of to live that would not be family friendly. sounds like a real estate agent or landlord is just using it for a marketing term

sounds like a real estate agent or landlord is just using it for a marketing term

I hear it a lot from homeowners on those HGTV and TLC moving shows. Why are you moving, "we want to leave the city and move to a more 'family friendly' community." Were people throwing eggs at your house because you had kids?

I hear it a lot from homeowners on those HGTV and TLC moving shows. Why are you moving, "we want to leave the city and move to a more 'family friendly' community." Were people throwing eggs at your house because you had kids?

there's drug dealers and guns and hookers and poor people in the city. why would anyone want to have kids in the city? sheesh... :rolleyes:

btw- i stopped watching TLC when it became the home makeover channel.

Edited by runawayjim

Hey folks, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself... Been browsing the site for a while now, but just started posting - I'm amazed by the amount of Rhody pride on this site, haha :)

I've been in Providence for almost six years now... spent 4 of my best in school, and decided to stay to work in the city post-graduation. I'm an industrial designer, and have really enjoyed my time in the city so far.

Just wanted to say hi and show my Rhody pride... wow, yes, that's actually what it's become ;)

I work with a lot of people, probably arund 95%, that live in the suburbs. When they learn that I live in Providence, they almost always ask: "Why? Dont you want to have kids soon? The suburbs are so much more family friendly!" My issues with people asking when i am going to have children aside, I have no idea what they mean.

So i asked someone to explain this concept to me. It boiled down to a few things. Remember, these are not MY reasons and I offer no justification :rolleyes: Just listing them in no particular order

1. In a subdivision, there is more room for kids to play such as big backyards that can fit swimming pools, and playground equipment. All in the safety of my property.

2. Less traffic and noise

3. Better schools

4. Less crime

5. People ukeep their doors unlocked (as a result of #4)

6. More organized recreation activities

All of the suburbanites I speak with just feel a city is great to visit and take thier children to, but would rather have the less dense atmosphere to raise their kids in. To them, this is family friendly.

Edited by basachs

1. In a subdivision, there is more room for kids to play such as big backyards that can fit swimming pools, and playground equipment. All in the safety of my property.
I grew up in a decidedly suburban style development, so much so that we called it a development, not a neighborhood. But I didn't do most of my play in my yard, we played in the woods around the area, down by the ponds, and we rode our bikes to the more urban styled village centers in Osterville and Centerville. A big backyard with a swimming pool would have made me numb.

that's just asking for trouble no matter where you live.

Indeed, the false sense of security people place in the suburbs is frighteningly dangerous.

Hey folks, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself... Been browsing the site for a while now, but just started posting - I'm amazed by the amount of Rhody pride on this site, haha :)

I've been in Providence for almost six years now... spent 4 of my best in school, and decided to stay to work in the city post-graduation. I'm an industrial designer, and have really enjoyed my time in the city so far.

Just wanted to say hi and show my Rhody pride... wow, yes, that's actually what it's become ;)

Welcome to the group!! :D

i was listening to wrni this morning and caught a clip of something that said that there are now more people living below the poverty level in the suburbs than there are in the city. I think that means in general, not in Providence specifically. Did anyone else hear it?

Yes, it was reported on one of the NBC, ABC newscasts a few weeks ago.

Yes, it was reported on one of the NBC, ABC newscasts a few weeks ago.

Yup, I too heard it a few weeks back.

While likely not necessarily very true around here, when you travel the nation's vast interiors, you realize there are a LOT of very poor suburban and rural areas out there...

As with most things, the guilded left and right coasts are very different than the rest of the country.

- Garris

Two articles from the NYTimes of potential interest to Providence/RI urbanites:

Article about Portland's new mass transit Sky Tram connecting the waterfront to their medical complexes: "City That Loves Mass Transit Looks to the Sky for More"

Artcle about the damage Vancouver's incredible Stanley Park (a forest right downtown) took this year due to storms and what it will take for it to recover: "Vancouver Journal: Its Wild Heart Broken, a City, Like Its Eagles, Rebuilds"

- Garris

Edited by Garris

sometimes i wonder how this state actually manages in the 21st century... i just filed my taxes using turbo tax. after i paid to e-file for both federal and state, i find out that the state of RI will not accept payment other than a check mailed to them... not even a direct charge to my checking account.

I stopped in the new Wal-Mart about an hour ago to pick up Turbo Tax and printer cartridges. Other than the place being packed, I witnessed 2 mothers shoplifting while their children drew attention away from them. Furthermore, there were no security guards on duty and the shoplifting sensor was going off the whole time I was checking out. No one even bothered to check anybody. What a disaster! It won't be long before this place is shut down just like Stop & Shop on Elmwood.

I stopped in the new Wal-Mart about an hour ago to pick up Turbo Tax and printer cartridges. Other than the place being packed, I witnessed 2 mothers shoplifting while their children drew attention away from them. Furthermore, there were no security guards on duty and the shoplifting sensor was going off the whole time I was checking out. No one even bothered to check anybody. What a disaster! It won't be long before this place is shut down just like Stop & Shop on Elmwood.

you know... anytime i've ever been to a store with one of those shoplifting sensors, they never check anyone unless there's no one in the store (and in that case, they usually watched them check out so they generally let them go). the best time to shoplift is when the store is packed because it's easier to go unnoticed when you leave.

i feel sorry for those kids though... those mothers are pathetic.