Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a general question for anyone who wants to answer...

is there a point where you decide that you've heard enough banging and yelling that you call the cops on someone who shares a wall/floor/ceiling with you because you think there might be some abuse going on or do you just keep your nose out of it?

the people who live below me (yes, the same ones as 2 previous questions regarding noise ordinance violations and the police blotter) yell at each other a lot and in many cases it's mostly the guy yelling at the woman (he's obviously a very angry person and easy to anger as he yelled at me for having the nerve to leave them a note asking them not to vacuum the whole place at 7 in the morning). and between/after most of these bouts of yelling, there's a lot of banging (and not the good kind). while i'm not quite fond of the woman down there, i had very few problems with her before this guy moved in. we always managed to work out any issues in a civil manner. i do have a slight fear that there might be some violent behavior, but i don't want to cause more problems in what may not be as bad as i think it is. for what it's worth, the yelling is almost a daily occurrence (i sometimes wonder if he gets drunk and can't control himself). i won't be in this apartment much longer (moving out around june for a bigger place)... i obviously don't want to make problems for myself and have a miserable few months. do i worry about it now, do i monitor it while i'm hear and mention to the landlady (who lives next door) what i think, or do i just stay out of it completely?

I would tell the landlady about your concerns and suggest that she talk to the female tenant alone and ask her if their are any problems in the relationship. I think it's good that it's a landlady too as it will perhaps be better for them have a woman to woman talk rather than having you poking your nose into their personal business. Calling the cops directly could unduly escalate the situation. If the boyfriend is not on the lease, the landlady could say that he is not allowed to stay there (I'm not sure what the law says here about renters having people not on their lease living in an apartment though). If the landlady can't make any headway, or doesn't want to get involved, and you think there is abuse going on then I would call the police.

If its obviously abuse, Cotuit is right that you definitely need a woman to intervene, unless you are good friends with the girl downstairs. I obviously can't imagine what a bad feeling it must be like to be a girl in that kind of tough spot with seemingly no way out. Sometimes you just have to let it blow over or better yet - get the hell out of that place as fast as you can!

Some folks are loud. Some folks drink too much... on days ending in "y."

My cousin can tell you what happens when you try to make a difference...

You call the cops, they come and ask the girl upstairs (or downstairs in your case) what happened and she looks directly at the ground and explains how she slipped, fell and ended up with seven or eight upper-body bruises and a black eye. She doesn't want to implicate Jimmy because he works hard to pay the rent and he has a right to drink a few beers, besides he's about to go to bed anyways. So the cops leave and don't come back for awhile.

Three Guiness later, Jimmy decides he wants to come on down for a little discussion. You let him in through the door and a few minutes later he leaves in a rush through your 28" kitchen window (which you happened to like in one piece). The folks whose backyard just became a landing strip call the cops back in and you get to take a ride with the piss-drunk beotch and spend the rest of the night locked up with him because the cops think its a big joke.

Just something to consider.

in 2 days i saw 2 extremes of providence police.

last night i was driving south on dean and at the atwells light (making a left onto atwells). there was a cop at the light going north on dean. if you've ever been at that intersection, you know the lights go atwells, then southbound dean, then northbound dean. the cop got there right after his light turned red, so he had a wait. he was creeping up the whole time the atwells lights were green, to the point where he was over the crosswalk. then their lights turned red and i got the green and went and he creeped up some more to the point where he was in the road. after a few cars, he put on his lights because he was tired of waiting and turned them off the minute he was through the intersection. what an ass.

today, i was driving to work after lunch and making a left onto huxley and there was a cop at the light coming towards me. when the light turned green, he waved at me to let me make my turn before he went. i was shocked.

Long Island City.

I think LIC was moving toward SoHo-hood about 5 years ago, but it may be accelerating past that at this point. The QueensWest development is certainly not SoHo-ish. The Steinway section of Astoria looked promising, but seems to be being mall-ed at this point.

I'm wondering what Van Courtlandt in The Bronx is looking like these days.

Long Island City.

I just had lunch recently with someone who has a studio there and was complaining that the area is going development crazy. As a result, he said that they (the artists) are being priced out of the neighborhood by the tax increases resulting from reevaluations...

- Garris

Edited by Garris

I just had lunch recently with someone who has a studio there and was complaining that the area is going development crazy. As a result, he said that they (the artists) are being priced out of the neighborhood by the tax increases resulting from reevaluations...

- Garris

but that's a good thing, right?