Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone confirm the following two downtown things existed and that I am not going senile?

1. A "fancy" Burger King that was known as 'Bankers Quarters', probably right around 1980, possibly close to the Civic Center.

2. A Strawberries on Union St... I know it was there but I swear that at one time the cassettes and 8-track shelves were surrounded by a wall of plexi-glass with holes in it. Your hand could fit through the hole but the cassettes could not, since I think they were sold in those long plastic anti-theft contraptions. There was a narrow conveyor belt which you would then drop your cassette choice onto. The conveyor belt carried your cassettes to the checkout.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone confirm the following two downtown things existed and that I am not going senile?

1. A "fancy" Burger King that was known as 'Bankers Quarters', probably right around 1980, possibly close to the Civic Center.

2. A Strawberries on Union St... I know it was there but I swear that at one time the cassettes and 8-track shelves were surrounded by a wall of plexi-glass with holes in it. Your hand could fit through the hole but the cassettes could not, since I think they were sold in those long plastic anti-theft contraptions. There was a narrow conveyor belt which you would then drop your cassette choice onto. The conveyor belt carried your cassettes to the checkout.

Thanks in advance.

The Burger King that looked like an old bank was at the corner of Dorrance and Westminster where Dress Barn is now. I used to go to school on Pine Street and spent many an hour there before catching the Elmgrove Tunnel bus to go back home.

Yep, there used to be a Strawberry's in the Travelers Aid bldg that was knocked down. Bought my Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five and Kurtis Blow LPs there.

I used to go to school on Pine Street

Was that the school which only allow students in through a lottery type system? The luck of the draw. I can't remember if it was an arts magnets school, or an alternative learning center. Wasen't it called something like the ALP ( Alternative Learning Program ) ?

Was that the school which only allow students in through a lottery type system? The luck of the draw. I can't remember if it was an arts magnets school, or an alternative learning center. Wasen't it called something like the ALP ( Alternative Learning Program ) ?

It was School One which used to be in the building where the Complex is. I went there after being at Hope for several years. ALP, which was just shut down, used to be on Elmwood Ave near where it intersects with Reservoir.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know which topic to put this under, but thought it sure was interesting:

I just found our that RI has the lowest energy use per capita in the country, and the third lowest in per capita energy expenditure. Here.

I think we also have among the shortest commutes, and I imagine the two topics are very closely related.

Interesting, eh?

Edited by ruchele

I just found our that RI has the lowest energy use per capita in the country, and the third lowest in per capita energy expnditure. Here.

I think we also have among the shortest commutes, and I imagine the two topics are very closely related.

Interesting, eh?

according to cotuit, RI is the most urban state. so it does make sense. energy usage per capita in urban areas is lower than in suburban and rural areas.

I just found our that RI has the lowest energy use per capita in the country, and the third lowest in per capita energy expenditure. Here.

Interesting, eh?

What I found very interesting was the inverse relationship between expenditures-per-person and energy costs. High correlation between low energy costs and high dollars spent per person, even in states with relatively low per-capita incomes. I suppose whats mixed up in there somewhere is that many of those states have large extraction-based industries, which use a lot of energy, even if they don't have a lot of people. But still, you gotta wonder whether artificially cheap energy does anybody good. Well, except for oil company execs. Pretty sure it does them good.

So I'm thinking of going to the Cape for the day on Friday.

Peter Pan's first bus from K. Plaza to Hyannis arrives in Hyannis at 1:40pm. The last bus back from Hyannis leaves at 3:30pm. That's less than 2 hours for me to spend the "day" on the Cape. The roundtrip rate is $40.00, and the trip takes 2 hours!

-OR-

I can rent a car starting at $22.55 for the day, and GoogleMaps says the trip is 1 hour and 29 minutes (which I know I can do faster than that).

So, what should I do? :rolleyes:

PS: Two of us would be traveling so double that $40.00 bus fare.

Or I could screw going to the Cape and spend $15.50 on a round trip ticket to Boston. Of course then I wouldn't be able to see the people I was planning to see on the Cape, but whatever.

or you could spend $0 and stay in the coolest city in new england and make the people you were going to visit come to you.

that's what i do. :thumbsup:

Or I can wait until April and fly from T.F. Green to Hyannis.

or you could spend $0 and stay in the coolest city in new england and make the people you were going to visit come to you.

Well, part of the reason for the trip is to visit my sister and her new baby, so though they like coming to Providence, I don't think she wants to drag the baby here just now. Maybe this summer.

So I'm thinking of going to the Cape for the day on Friday.

Peter Pan's first bus from K. Plaza to Hyannis arrives in Hyannis at 1:40pm. The last bus back from Hyannis leaves at 3:30pm. That's less than 2 hours for me to spend the "day" on the Cape. The roundtrip rate is $40.00, and the trip takes 2 hours!

-OR-

I can rent a car starting at $22.55 for the day, and GoogleMaps says the trip is 1 hour and 29 minutes (which I know I can do faster than that).

So, what should I do? :rolleyes:

PS: Two of us would be traveling so double that $40.00 bus fare.

wow. we were thinking of going to the cape this weekend too!

Provincetown is actually nice in the off-season as long as the weather isn't too terrible. Actually, it's cool when the weather is too terrible too, but you have bundle up.

I have a hankering for Four-Seas Ice Cream, but they aren't open yet.

is clem and ursie's open year round?

I don't know where that is. We Cape Codders are a lot like Rhode Islanders in not wanting to travel more than 15 minutes, which in Cape traffic during the summer is about a mile and a half.

• 2 weeks later...