Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unrelated to anything - I just ordered me a new Mac Pro - Hot Diggity!

Lucky! I'm getting a MacBook Pro as soon as they get updated. Hopefully that's between now and WWDC. I'm hoping the update includes Santa Rosa.

Lucky! I'm getting a MacBook Pro as soon as they get updated. Hopefully that's between now and WWDC. I'm hoping the update includes Santa Rosa.

They just did that minor bump on the Macbooks yesterday, so I would assume the MacBook Pros will see something before WWDC. I kept hoping for a bump on the Mac Pro's, but there still isnt anything on the horizon, so I bit the bullet. I got the low end one (Quad Core 2.0Ghz Xeons) but it should still do just fine. Certainly a big jump over my ailing dual G4. I got a couple 500GB drives for it, some extra ram and a 22" cheapie LCD. W00t!

Edited by Liamlunchtray

They just did that minor bump on the Macbooks yesterday, so I would assume the MacBook Pros will see something before WWDC. I kept hoping for a bump on the Mac Pro's, but there still isnt anything on the horizon, so I bit the bullet. I got the low end one (Quad Core 2.0Ghz Xeons) but it should still do just fine. Certainly a big jump over my ailing dual G4. I got a couple 500GB drives for it, some extra ram and a 22" cheapie LCD. W00t!

Damn, I am so jealous!!!!

I am just waiting for some finances to come together (pesky building projects...), then I'm there!

Yikes!!! Runawayjim, your now at 5,657 posts. Is there no stopping you! :silly: According to UP rules and regulations, when you reach 10,000 posts you must take everyone in the forum out for drinks. Hey, not my rules. :whistling:

i'm still waiting for cotuit to buy me a drink then... :alc:

Man, I wish I could get a Mac at work! I'm the "Macintosh Tiger Team Leader" and all I get is a lousy thinkpad

I will be getting a Mac at work next time we're up for new computers, which should be in the next 12 months. I have already made my demands clear.

i'm still waiting for cotuit to buy me a drink then... :alc:

I gave you a dollar off ticket at Trinity.

So I will be moving to Boston (Eastie, specifically) July 1st with a couple of buddies. It feels like I just got to Providence. I've only lived here a short time, but since I've been here GTech, the Westin, Waterplace, and the Masonic temple all went from bare metal (or just one wall in the Temple's case) to finished, or close to it. Luckily I'm not moving that far away and can easily take the train down here. My only complaint is that the latest Saturday train back to Boston is at 10pm which is not nearly late enough for me to really enjoy ( :alc: ) a Waterfire. I'll have to make sure I hit all the ones before July.

I'm pretty excited for the move though, we're walking distance to Constitution Beach where I wouldn't swim but you can lay on the sand and watch the planes land and take off. We're right near the Wood Island stop, so it's only three stops to downtown on the blue line which is pretty sweet, too.

Edited by JJK5

so it's a good thing there's no red light cameras at the intersection of dean and the 6/10 off ramp. i was driving home from work and hit the red light there on dean. and sat and sat and sat... for about 5-10 minutes, i sat there and the light never changed. eventually, i ran it. so i called the police department twice about it, not knowing who else to call, and the minute i told them the light was stuck on red, they transferred me to a number that kept ringing and ringing... my guess teh state DOT office, which probably closes at 4 or 4:30. so i gave up after talking to 2 different people who did the same thing. eventually an emergency vehicle will need to get through and won't be able to because of the light.

I just bought a new computer w/Vista and was wondering if anyone here has had experience using Vista. Any do's and don't's that I should know about? On onther note I just heard on CNN that Apple has sold over 100 mil IPOD's.

i have been using vista for several months now. i love it. the do's and don't's are generally the same for any computer. i would suggest not turning off UAC. if you don't know what that is, don't worry about it. it's not a bad thing, just a little annoyance from time to time. if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

on a different note, i heard that microsoft sold 1,000,000 zunes sooner than their hopeful projection.

Edited by runawayjim

question on flying... since i just moved, i had to get a new license. of course, this state has the absolute stupidest policy with these damn paper licenses. well... it's been over 2 weeks since i changed my address with DMV and i have yet to receive my new license in the mail. i'm getting on a plane on friday and was wondering if anyone has experience flying with the paper license. i'm losing faith that i'll get my new one by friday. i figure i won't have trouble at PVD because they know of the stupid policy of the DMV, but i don't know if i'll be given a hard time on my return flight on sunday.

also, related to this... does anyone know why the state does this? to me, it seems liek some really cheap crappy money saving scheme. in CT i had a license that was the same detail as this one and it came out of a special printer while i waited. this just seems like the state not wanting to keep up with technology. it's really stupid that i have to carry around a 8.5x11 sheet of paper with me because they couldn't buy a license printer for each of their handful of locations. i know people who have had trouble in other states with buying alcohol because the bar/restaurant/package store wouldn't accept the paper license, even though it's "valid" for 30 days. :angry:

question on flying... since i just moved, i had to get a new license. of course, this state has the absolute stupidest policy with these damn paper licenses. well... it's been over 2 weeks since i changed my address with DMV and i have yet to receive my new license in the mail. i'm getting on a plane on friday and was wondering if anyone has experience flying with the paper license. i'm losing faith that i'll get my new one by friday. i figure i won't have trouble at PVD because they know of the stupid policy of the DMV, but i don't know if i'll be given a hard time on my return flight on sunday.

also, related to this... does anyone know why the state does this? to me, it seems liek some really cheap crappy money saving scheme. in CT i had a license that was the same detail as this one and it came out of a special printer while i waited. this just seems like the state not wanting to keep up with technology. it's really stupid that i have to carry around a 8.5x11 sheet of paper with me because they couldn't buy a license printer for each of their handful of locations. i know people who have had trouble in other states with buying alcohol because the bar/restaurant/package store wouldn't accept the paper license, even though it's "valid" for 30 days. :angry:

if you have a passport, you could use that instead of your license.

Strange, it's never taken me more than 2-3 days to get my permanant license even though they tell you it'll take up to 2 weeks. I think it's mailed from someplace near Worcester by a private company.

yeah, usually i get mine in about a week. i had it done 3 saturdays ago at the registry express.

oh, and another gripe i have with the DMV is that the express is the only one open beyond 3:30 and the only one open on saturdays, but they don't do new registrations. i was lucky when i moved here because the job i took was sun-thurs starting at 4 pm. so i was able to go on a friday... and sat there for 3 hours. in CT they all have the same hours and there's 1 day a week when they're open until 7 (thursdays i think).

anyways, it's still really crappy that they give you a stupid paper license. there's no reason for that. even the AAA offices in CT have the machines to make new licenses and i believe CT licenses are a bit "more difficult" to make.

yeah, usually i get mine in about a week. i had it done 3 saturdays ago at the registry express.

oh, and another gripe i have with the DMV is that the express is the only one open beyond 3:30 and the only one open on saturdays, but they don't do new registrations. i was lucky when i moved here because the job i took was sun-thurs starting at 4 pm. so i was able to go on a friday... and sat there for 3 hours. in CT they all have the same hours and there's 1 day a week when they're open until 7 (thursdays i think).

anyways, it's still really crappy that they give you a stupid paper license. there's no reason for that. even the AAA offices in CT have the machines to make new licenses and i believe CT licenses are a bit "more difficult" to make.

I am actually going through this now. I need a license renewal and my wife needs a new registration. The DMV express is the only one that fits our schedule, but they dont do registrations as you pointed out. So now we either have to take seperate trips or just go at 830 tmw and hope we get taken care of quickly (probably have to camp out at 8am).

The paper thing is absolutely annoying. I laughed when I first got it. All it takes is a special printer, it would save so much time for people.

I am actually going through this now. I need a license renewal and my wife needs a new registration. The DMV express is the only one that fits our schedule, but they dont do registrations as you pointed out. So now we either have to take seperate trips or just go at 830 tmw and hope we get taken care of quickly (probably have to camp out at 8am).

The paper thing is absolutely annoying. I laughed when I first got it. All it takes is a special printer, it would save so much time for people.

they do registrations, but they don't do new registrations. i feel your pain... i would camp out if i were you.