Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

could he have possibly used "boogie" anymore in that column?  and was it supposed to be about the sound session or the night life in general?  and what was up with going on and on about the hotel providence?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At least he restrained himself from making any digs at modern architecture.

I don't know what was up with the Hotel Providence stuff, does he like, does he think it's a good place? What was that all about?

But yes, the Hotel is very proud that it has received it's four-diamond rating, something that the Westin actually lost for a short time and tried to blame on the skybridge (though that was not why they were downgraded).

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least he restrained himself from making any digs at modern architecture.

I don't know what was up with the Hotel Providence stuff, does he like, does he think it's a good place? What was that all about?

But yes, the Hotel is very proud that it has received it's four-diamond rating, something that the Westin actually lost for a short time and tried to blame on the skybridge (though that was not why they were downgraded).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think he likes the Hotel Providence, as he's fawned over it in previous columns. His writing style is, ah, distinctive. I won't say good or bad, but sometimes I find myself having to read several of his sentences over to make sure I get them. I particularly find the format of his "Ask Dr. Downtown" columns difficult to follow. He is trying to be cute and entertaining in those, but it ends up feeling more oblique to me than anything, and he changes tenses and persons so often in those columns to make it worse...

The 4 diamond rating is great. I'm glad to hear they're doing well...

- Garris

I had trouble with his article myself  :wacko:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I read that column about three times and couldn't figure out what his point was. Is "edgy" a good thing or a bad thing? What does that even mean? I was at the block party, and still couldn't figure out what he was talking about. I can't say I'm terribly impressed with his abilities as a compelling writer.

Brussat is as a pompous windbag.

I think what he means by "edgy" is hip or funky.

Brussat would rather have downtown be more conservative and established in feel (which is why he likes Tilden Thurber and Hotel Providence) but he's happy tolerating the edgy places like Tazza or Xxodus because they're a big improvement over the seedy places he doesn't like such as the Safari Lounge.

I read that column about three times and couldn't figure out what his point was.  Is "edgy" a good thing or a bad thing?  What does that even mean?  I was at the block party, and still couldn't figure out what he was talking about.  I can't say I'm terribly impressed with his abilities as a compelling writer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations on two things in the nearby metro...

1) Used sporting goods: Anyone know a good store?

2) Glass place: I'm looking to get a glass tabletop cover for an old wood table... Anyone have recommendations?

Much appreciated everyone... Thanks!

- Garris

Hi all,

2) Glass place: I'm looking to get a glass tabletop cover for an old wood table...  Anyone have recommendations? 

Much appreciated everyone...  Thanks!

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NK Sports, Route 1 in North Kingstown. I dont know about the selection, but its all used stuff. Route 4 south, exit 7, bear right twice on the exit ramp onto route 402 (Frenchtown Road). At end of 402, take right onto Route 1 south, then its right on your left in a little strip mall with a dunkin donuts. Might wanna call them first to see if its worth your time:

NK SPORTS

6190 POST ROAD, NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI 02852

Phone: (401) 398-0592

There's a glass place on Post Road (Route 1) a little south of the airport but north of Greenwood in Warwick. I forgot the name, but I remember my mother getting a glass top there a few years ago.

NK Sports, Route 1 in North Kingstown.  I dont know about the selection, but its all used stuff.  Route 4 south, exit 7, bear right twice on the exit ramp onto route 402 (Frenchtown Road).  At end of 402, take right onto Route 1 south, then its right on your left in a little strip mall with a dunkin donuts.  Might wanna call them first to see if its worth your time: 

NK SPORTS

6190 POST ROAD, NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI 02852

Phone: (401) 398-0592

There's a glass place on Post Road (Route 1) a little south of the airport but north of Greenwood in Warwick.  I forgot the name, but I remember my mother getting a glass top there a few years ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! You gave directions without once saying "turn where such and such used to be." :lol:

Wow! You gave directions without once saying "turn where such and such used to be."  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, that's right, let me give directions the way my father would:

Take 95 all the way to exit 7 (cause there is no Route 4, Route 4 is also called "95") and take two rights until you get to the old Ames shopping plaza, where you take another right and then NK Sports is right next to where Grossman's used to be. That sounds better, right?

Hi all,

2) Glass place: I'm looking to get a glass tabletop cover for an old wood table...  Anyone have recommendations? 

Much appreciated everyone...  Thanks!

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For glass, you might just want to try Adlers on Wickendon. they'll cut glass to order, but not sure if you can get it beveled and all that...would definitely be economical solution though.

there was a Play it Again Sports or whatever it's called, in the Konk, not sure if it's still there. It would be in the shopping plaza where Child World and Lechemare used to be - where Taco Bell and the Seekonk 6 theaters are now, on the left when you're heading east on rt. 6.

there was a Play it Again Sports or whatever it's called, in the Konk, not sure if it's still there. It would be in the shopping plaza where Child World and Lechemare used to be - where Taco Bell and the Seekonk 6 theaters are now, on the left when you're heading east on rt. 6.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Child World = is now Home Goods

Leachmere!! = Now Target

Hey everyone. I saw an interesting flag flying on a house while jogging today near the Brown Stadium. It was a Rhode Island flag, with the gold anchor and "Hope" on the bottom. However, it didn't have the 13 stars surrounding the anchor, but instead had a blue square in the upper left hand corner with 13 white stars in it. Very cool!

I didn't want to go up and knock on the door just to ask. However, I may do so now that I've searched the internet and come up dry as to what this is. All the current and historical flag sites online that I've found have nothing that looks like it.

Any ideas?

- Garris

Hey everyone.  I saw an interesting flag flying on a house while jogging today near the Brown Stadium.  It was a Rhode Island flag, with the gold anchor and "Hope" on the bottom.  However, it didn't have the 13 stars surrounding the anchor, but instead had a blue square in the upper left hand corner with 13 white stars in it.  Very cool!

I didn't want to go up and knock on the door just to ask.  However, I may do so now that I've searched the internet and come up dry as to what this is.  All the current and historical flag sites online that I've found have nothing that looks like it. 

Any ideas?

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Garris - Did it look like this:

riregimentflag.jpg

It's the flag of the Rhode Island Regiments. A quick search on google got this:

In Rhode Island the anchor has been used as a state symbol ever since 1647 which is evident in the current State flag. The anchor represents Rhode Island's seafaring activities and the thirteen stars, the original thirteen colonies. The native Rhode Islanders were among the first to join the Minutemen outside Boston. The Rhode Island Regiments served at the Battles of Brandywine, Trenton and Yorktown. This flag is preserved today in the State House at Providence, Rhode Island.

I saw the Buddy movie tonight, half the state was there. They were sold out and turned 400 people away. The movie was good, but after reading The Prince of Providence, I can say it didn't tell the whole story. It was careful not to draw a conclusion about his character either way, which I don't necessarily think is a good, it may just perpetuate the myth.

This was only my second time at the Columbus, and I must say, what a great place, I have to make a point to go back more. We had dinner on Atwells, then walked over to the Columbus, great night.

Waiting in line for nearly an hour and having the film start 45 minutes late wasn't great, they were not prepared for the crowd, the line was way down the block on Broadway (in both directions, they had a ticket holder line, and a morons who didn't buy tickets ahead of time line going the other way).

When I got home I had the dipleasure of seeing myself on Channel 12, I hate being on TV. :ph34r:

There's two more showings this weekend, if you want to go, I suggest you buy tickets now, link.

It's the flag of the Rhode Island Regiments.  A quick search on google got this:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup, that's it!! Thanks for finding it. So it is a historical flag. I think that's pretty cool looking myself. I wonder how (and why) that house is flying a replica. I wonder where they got one. I actually like that flag better than our state flag...

- Garris

I saw the Buddy movie tonight, half the state was there. They were sold out and turned 400 people away. The movie was good, but after reading The Prince of Providence, I can say it didn't tell the whole story. It was careful not to draw a conclusion about his character either way, which I don't necessarily think is a good, it may just perpetuate the myth.

This was only my second time at the Columbus, and I must say, what a great place, I have to make a point to go back more. We had dinner on Atwells, then walked over to the Columbus, great night.

Waiting in line for nearly an hour and having the film start 45 minutes late wasn't great, they were not prepared for the crowd, the line was way down the block on Broadway (in both directions, they had a ticket holder line, and a morons who didn't buy tickets ahead of time line going the other way).

When I got home I had the dipleasure of seeing myself on Channel 12, I hate being on TV.  :ph34r:

There's two more showings this weekend, if you want to go, I suggest you buy tickets now, link.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I had tickets but got there late to see the line extending waaaaay down Broadway. It was probably the most people gathered on Broadway in 60 years. Pretty cool. Needless to say, I bailed for the first showing. I'll probably go to the one tomorrow...

Hello,

I am sorry to do this, but I vaguely remember a post that mentioned a decent coffee shop that has free internet . . . after searching around for the post for days I still can't find it. Was I delusional? :blink:

I need a place to work on my writing and Starbucks (while perfectly fine) is a bit cliche.

Cotuit, please delete this whole topic if I'm being completely redundant.

cheers,

Emily

Hello,

I am sorry to do this, but I vaguely remember a post that mentioned a decent coffee shop that has free internet . . . after searching around for the post for days I still can't find it.  Was I delusional?  :blink:

I need a place to work on my writing and Starbucks (while perfectly fine) is a bit cliche.

Cotuit, please delete this whole topic if I'm being completely redundant.

cheers,

Emily

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's OK, I think it was maybe in the off-topic section. Tazza on Westminster has free wireless access (you may even be able to capture it from their cafe tables on the street).

I'll merge this post with the off-topic posts later.