Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a left

at the Dunkin'

The Canton coffee chain will launch a website Monday that lets you map road trips and find its stores along the way in all 33 states where it has shops. Time to map out the Dunkin's

Chain hopes to cement customer ties with website that will help travelers find shops, offer games and prizes. MyIcedCoffee.com

http://www.boston.com/business/globe/artic...ut_the_dunkins/

so i'm faced with a decision... probably one that may shock some people who know me as being sorta anti-apple.

i'm getting a macbook pro for work. i have some input into what i get. i've basically decided 15" (so i can get the new LED display for better battery life and because they're lighter) 2.4 GHz (so i can get the 256 MB video card). the only decision i have yet to make is matte or glossy display. everything i've read on the web is divided right down the middle. half say matte, half say glossy, and this is after actual use side by side. i have 2 friends (they're a couple). one has a matte and the other a glossy. they both like the matte better. does anyone here have any input?

so i'm faced with a decision... probably one that may shock some people who know me as being sorta anti-apple.

i'm getting a macbook pro for work. i have some input into what i get. i've basically decided 15" (so i can get the new LED display for better battery life and because they're lighter) 2.4 GHz (so i can get the 256 MB video card). the only decision i have yet to make is matte or glossy display. everything i've read on the web is divided right down the middle. half say matte, half say glossy, and this is after actual use side by side. i have 2 friends (they're a couple). one has a matte and the other a glossy. they both like the matte better. does anyone here have any input?

I love the glossy, especially looking at anything graphical, it looks so much better. I don't know if you will be spending a lot of time in Quark, Miya, Adobe etc.. it may not be all that important to you. Also, go by the apple store and look at the two displays. I would also suggest the wireless Keyboard and Might Mouse since you are geting the 15" display, much easier to use when you have the full keyboard and mouse. Also the Bluetooth runs fairly smooth if you only have those 2 devices connected. I have heard anything over 4 really starts to lagg everything down. Goodluck.

I love the glossy, especially looking at anything graphical, it looks so much better. I don't know if you will be spending a lot of time in Quark, Miya, Adobe etc.. it may not be all that important to you. Also, go by the apple store and look at the two displays. I would also suggest the wireless Keyboard and Might Mouse since you are geting the 15" display, much easier to use when you have the full keyboard and mouse. Also the Bluetooth runs fairly smooth if you only have those 2 devices connected. I have heard anything over 4 really starts to lagg everything down. Goodluck.

i'm thinking of going matte... the consensus that i've seen basically said that the brightness is the same on both, so using them outside isn't much different. i don't do any high end graphics, but i do some stuff with gimp now (although i'll be able to use photoshop soon since we'll actually have the full blown version). i do a lot of dreamweaver though with webpages. supposedly, the colors are actually more "true" on the matte display because they don't have the artificial brightness and contrast. i did take a walk to the apple store tonight to see the difference. frankly, the apple glossy display is nowhere near as nice as the glossy displays i've seen from HP and sony.

as for the keyboard, the 15" has the same size keyboard as the 17". however, for use at work, i'll probably have an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse as i do now with my current laptop (although i'll have to get all USB for the apple and an apple keyboard). because work is paying for it, they won't pay the money for a bluetooth keyboard and mouse as it's just not necessary. i'll probably just have a regular USB mouse and not the $50 mighty mouse, which i am not a huge fan of anyways.

I like the glossy. I'm getting a MBP this week myself and I wasn't sure which to pick. But I spent some time using laptops with both and I've settled on the glossy. It's actually pretty good in sunlight. I find the matte tends to just diffuse any glare over the whole screen, washing out the image. It's weird though, if glossy is better, how come you never see it in stand alone monitors?

I like the glossy. I'm getting a MBP this week myself and I wasn't sure which to pick. But I spent some time using laptops with both and I've settled on the glossy. It's actually pretty good in sunlight. I find the matte tends to just diffuse any glare over the whole screen, washing out the image. It's weird though, if glossy is better, how come you never see it in stand alone monitors?

that's something i've wondered. one of my concerns with the glossy is scratching. the matte screens don't scratch, but the glossy ones with the anti-reflective coating do (because the coating scratches off). i really didn't notice a whole lot of difference in colors when i was in the store (and i made sure to do the same thing on both machines side by side). the blacks were slightly blacker on the glossy, but not enough to make a huge impact.

of all the stuff i've read on the web tonight, matte is better calibrated and holds the calibration better than teh glossy, making it better at showing the true colors and true contrast, while the glossy screens are brighter and give a feel of better contrast, when in reality, they aren't. that's probably why stand-alone monitors are not glossy.

Edited by runawayjim

that's something i've wondered. one of my concerns with the glossy is scratching. the matte screens don't scratch, but the glossy ones with the anti-reflective coating do (because the coating scratches off). i really didn't notice a whole lot of difference in colors when i was in the store (and i made sure to do the same thing on both machines side by side). the blacks were slightly blacker on the glossy, but not enough to make a huge impact.

of all the stuff i've read on the web tonight, matte is better calibrated and holds the calibration better than teh glossy, making it better at showing the true colors and true contrast, while the glossy screens are brighter and give a feel of better contrast, when in reality, they aren't. that's probably why stand-alone monitors are not glossy.

Interesting. Well, I guess I'll go glossy as hopefully that'll be better when I'm out and about. Like you, I'll have it connected to an external monitor when it's safe at home. My first Mac, I'm super excited.

My mom just got a Macbook with a glossy screen and I must say its gorgeous. I would prolly lean gossy, but they are both extremely nice displays. I dont think you can go wrong either way.

I got a Mac Pro Tower a couple weeks ago and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I got a cheap 20" samsung LCD and its just awesome.

Interesting. Well, I guess I'll go glossy as hopefully that'll be better when I'm out and about. Like you, I'll have it connected to an external monitor when it's safe at home. My first Mac, I'm super excited.

i'm excited in that i'll be able to learn a new OS... and i like new gadgets.... and i'm not paying for it.

i'm still a bit torn... when i'm at home, it won't be on a monitor, but in the office it will be.

i'm excited in that i'll be able to learn a new OS... and i like new gadgets.... and i'm not paying for it.

i'm still a bit torn... when i'm at home, it won't be on a monitor, but in the office it will be.

one you learn the Mac OS you won't go back, the quick key commands make using a computer much mroe enjoyable. Will you be getting Leopard, or Tiger?

one you learn the Mac OS you won't go back, the quick key commands make using a computer much mroe enjoyable. Will you be getting Leopard, or Tiger?

ummmm... i have no preferences towards any operating system. they all have their place and their use. i use keyboard shortcuts all the time for windows and am quite comfortable with it and vista even. i'm planning on having at least 2 partitions, possibly a third linux one using boot camp. i'll possibly also have parallels.

obviously, i'll be getting tiger unless i don't get it before october, when leopard is supposed to be released (so i've heard from apple reps). i'll have a free upgrade to leopard.

:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

So I was at this house party last night when I meet this older girl (30) who moved here 3 years ago from Miami. She apparently had a bad experience or two with a few people here since her move and she spent about a

My mom's side of the family comes from greater LA. I've visited there a few times, went to my cousin's wedding, and I will say the California folks are very friendly and well-spoken. I got lost trying to find my hotel in Newport Beach a few years ago and the folks I asked directions for were very polite and helpful.

I find that working in my career here; where I have to deal with a lot of customers/clients, etc. that people around here can be very horrible, malicious, and two-faced as your friend described.

I will say that New England is better than the Bible Belt. I worked an assignment in Georgia for about a week two years ago, and if you're not in with them on religion, you get treated very shabbily.

to counter this, i have found people very helpful in every new england city i've been to when i've been lost or had a hard time trying to find something, especially in providence.

ummmm... i have no preferences towards any operating system. they all have their place and their use. i use keyboard shortcuts all the time for windows and am quite comfortable with it and vista even. i'm planning on having at least 2 partitions, possibly a third linux one using boot camp. i'll possibly also have parallels.

obviously, i'll be getting tiger unless i don't get it before october, when leopard is supposed to be released (so i've heard from apple reps). i'll have a free upgrade to leopard.

I think I was probably in a similar boat last year when I got my first Mac. If you're better than the average windows user, as I suspect you are, then I'd guess you're not going to be that impressed with OSX. It seems to me that a) most mac people haven't really used windows since at least Win98 and compare that experience to OSX b) if you're not one of those people who is constantly bombarded by viruses and junkware, then the huge advantages of OSX aren't really there. Also, get ready to curse every time you hit ctrl+c instead of command+c and don't get anything copied to the clipboard! I hate that.

However, once you use expose and get your feet wet with quicksilver, it's hard to go back.

If you can get parallels, definitely go that route rather than dual booting/boot camping. Parallels is just awesome.

I think I was probably in a similar boat last year when I got my first Mac. If you're better than the average windows user, as I suspect you are, then I'd guess you're not going to be that impressed with OSX. It seems to me that a) most mac people haven't really used windows since at least Win98 and compare that experience to OSX b) if you're not one of those people who is constantly bombarded by viruses and junkware, then the huge advantages of OSX aren't really there. Also, get ready to curse every time you hit ctrl+c instead of command+c and don't get anything copied to the clipboard! I hate that.

However, once you use expose and get your feet wet with quicksilver, it's hard to go back.

If you can get parallels, definitely go that route rather than dual booting/boot camping. Parallels is just awesome.

i'd dual boot mainly so that i can have 100% of the resources dedicated to what i'd be doing. parallels woudl be used for support calls about windows if i'm currently booted into OSX.

what's quicksilver?

and yes, you assumed correctly. i don't get viruses and i don't get spyware and i am a well above average windows user (and a linux novice, though i can handle the basics quite well). i do like sudo better than the UAC of vista though. i actually can't wait to get it, mainly for the gadget factor. i like new toys, especially when i don't pay for them. :D

i will say this... i have an old G3 imac that i installed OS 10.3 on. OSX runs well on that even though it's older hardware. i was impressed by that. other than that, it's an operating system. it does what i tell it to when i tell it to do it. and there are certain nuances that i get annoyed with (just like with windows and just like with linux).