Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

ummmm... i have no preferences towards any operating system. they all have their place and their use. i use keyboard shortcuts all the time for windows and am quite comfortable with it and vista even. i'm planning on having at least 2 partitions, possibly a third linux one using boot camp. i'll possibly also have parallels.

obviously, i'll be getting tiger unless i don't get it before october, when leopard is supposed to be released (so i've heard from apple reps). i'll have a free upgrade to leopard.

I originally wanted to tri-boot my MBP (I think i'm picking it up tomorrow :D ) but then I read that it's kind of a pain.

I'll just use Bootcamp and then run a virtualized Linux install when I need it. I hear Parallels is good, but I'm hearing even better things about the VMWare Fusion beta. VMWare itself has much better Linux support than Parallels.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I originally wanted to tri-boot my MBP (I think i'm picking it up tomorrow :D ) but then I read that it's kind of a pain.

I'll just use Bootcamp and then run a virtualized Linux install when I need it. I hear Parallels is good, but I'm hearing even better things about the VMWare Fusion beta. VMWare itself has much better Linux support than Parallels.

i was told that boot camp allows you to create only 2 partitions (why they do this, i don't know), but you can then use another partitioning tool (such as fdisk with linux) to split the second partition. that'd how i'd end up doing it. most likely though, i'll just have 2... OSX and vista. my home desktop will be my linux box once my fiancee moves back and i can put XP pro on her computer.

i'd have parallels because that's what work would pay for...

Cianci, who is living in a halfway house in Boston after his recent release from federal prison, is working at 903 Residences, an upscale 330-unit condominium complex in downtown Providence with a private movie theater and an outdoor pool and Jacuzzi.

so i guess he'll be able to spin the 903 as being this totally awesome place to live... after all... they have a jacuzzi.

btw- is it just me or does his cigarette look like a joint?

Edited by runawayjim

i wonder if he is taking the train or driving? It sure would be a shame for him not to be commuting by train...

does he actually have to come to providence to be a marketing person? i'm wondering if he's just going to stay there and work from where he is.

Projo: Cianci changes job to return to Providence

Paolino noted that while Cianci is now living at a halfway house in Boston, he is soon expected to be allowed to serve the remainder of his sentence in home confinement at the East Greenwich home of his nephew, Brad Turchetta, so it'll be easier to commute to Providence than to Boston. Cianci's sentence ends July 28.
Edited by matt

With a private car service dring him!

Who the hell has a car service outside of NY/LA??

It's one of those things that is shocking and outrageous until I take a second to think about it. Then it becomes completely unsurprising (but still outrageous).

Who the hell has a car service outside of NY/LA??

It's one of those things that is shocking and outrageous until I take a second to think about it. Then it becomes completely unsurprising (but still outrageous).

there's lots of private car services... my fiancee had one bring her back and forth between philly and providence a few times after she broke her ankle. she didn't pay for it of course, but there was no way she could get through the airport with luggage all by herself on crutches.

Surely others besides myself are outraged and concerned by this merger of Cianci and Paolino! And he's supposed to be marketing with the city and state agencies?!!! Isn't the prison system worried about sending Cianci back to the scenes of his crimes! As if we don't have enough conflict of interest, too-cozy business deals, and plain old corruption here, we have to ADD to it?

Every single day something comes up that makes one despair of Rhode Island --- I guess we get the elected officials we deserve!

Surely others besides myself are outraged and concerned by this merger of Cianci and Paolino! And he's supposed to be marketing with the city and state agencies?!!! Isn't the prison system worried about sending Cianci back to the scenes of his crimes! As if we don't have enough conflict of interest, too-cozy business deals, and plain old corruption here, we have to ADD to it?

Every single day something comes up that makes one despair of Rhode Island --- I guess we get the elected officials we deserve!

i'm not overly worried. cicilline seems to be doing a halfway decent job at trying to rid the city government of cianci's old cronies. and carcieri is so pissed about the budget problems that he's planning on laying off 1000 employees, freezing state salaries, and increasing the percentage that state employees pay towards health care premiums (do they actually pay something now?). unfortunately, he can't fire the union employees. that would easily take care of a ton of problems. it'd be nice if the state and city could work completely union-free.

i'm not carcieri fan, but maybe this will kick the general assembly a bit and get them to do something about all the social services (not that i have a problem with social spending, but there's a bit too much here) and get them to spend money on things that will actually help the state economically (like mass transit).

I am far more horrified by the blind eyes cast at routine nonsense that happens in Providence right under everyone's nose, with the approval of some very powerful people. Everyone will be watching Cianci, waiting for him to screw up, to lunch with some known criminal, when our freely elected officials dine with criminals all the time. Just look at who is contributing to their campaign war chests.

Paolino, however, is not an elected official anymore; he is certainly free to create bizarre aliances if he wishes. It certainly has a strange bedfellow feel to it, but this is Rhode Island. Is it really that surprising? I actually liked Joe's quite "you don't give a person an umbrella when it is sunny, you give him an umbrella when it is raining."

That said, i think the race for mayor just got very very interesting.

That said, i think the race for mayor just got very very interesting.

i doubt cianci would run for mayor again. there's also that thing that was on the ballot last november about mayoral term limits. depending on how that comes into play, cianci may not be able to run (and either will cicilline). however, i don't know if it would include current or former mayors, or if it even passed (i think i remember it passing though).

I wasn't referring to Cianci running for mayor.

then who, if you don't mind me asking since you're being kind of coy about it, were you referring to. you specifically said that the race for mayor got interesting. one would only assume, following the recent discussion that you were referring to cianci.

so in my continuing (unfortunately) saga with DMV, it has been 30 days and i still have yet to receive my license. they told me to call back this afternoon or tomorrow because their mail comes later on. it hasn't been returned to them, but there's no reason it should be as my address is correct on my license. i am really pissed about this. i sent an email to my state rep, senator, the governor, the lt governor, and the assistant director of DMV regarding this issue and how stupid it is (not to mention that it's a bit insecure in that anyone can get into my mailbox and steal my license, while if they printed it out while i wait and they hand it to me, i control the security of it).

then who, if you don't mind me asking since you're being kind of coy about it, were you referring to. you specifically said that the race for mayor got interesting. one would only assume, following the recent discussion that you were referring to cianci.

there is an interesting consolidation of power happening and not by accident.

there is an interesting consolidation of power happening and not by accident.

would you care to divulge some more information to those of us who are not "in" on this news? if you're talking about paolino and cianci, i don't think there's a whole lot to worry about with either becoming mayor again (not to mention, cianci no longer lives in providence, of course either does lombardi, or so i've heard). and for some reason, i wanna say paolino lives in cranston now, but i could be wrong.

so what is this consolidation of power you're talking about?

would you care to divulge some more information to those of us who are not "in" on this news? if you're talking about paolino and cianci, i don't think there's a whole lot to worry about with either becoming mayor again (not to mention, cianci no longer lives in providence, of course either does lombardi, or so i've heard). and for some reason, i wanna say paolino lives in cranston now, but i could be wrong.

so what is this consolidation of power you're talking about?

I would think the lack of spelling it out for people indicates a reserve of judgement on Mothra's part. Which is of course their perogative.

Are you talking about John Lombardi? He lives in Providence in Federal Hill. Makes sense of course.

I would think the lack of spelling it out for people indicates a reserve of judgement on Mothra's part. Which is of course their perogative.

Are you talking about John Lombardi? He lives in Providence in Federal Hill. Makes sense of course.

i've heard lombardi (yes, the councilman) has a house in federal hill that he stops by once in a while, but spends most of his time in his house in cranston.

UP is the site of conspiracies (jen, you there?). i think hearing about this theory could be good to get us to band together to help prevent it.