Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

Ordered my MacBook Pro! Got the cheapest one, which I'll outfit with 4GB of RAM once it comes (Frys has 2GB modules for 85 bucks). Went with the glossy screen after many times going back and forth. I'm super excited though, should come the end of next week.

Also, if anyone is a college student, you get 200 dollars off the MBP, then a free 4GB Nano and a free printer! (199 and 100 dollar rebates, respectively). 500 dollars in savings is pretty awesome!

Edited by JJK5

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered my MacBook Pro! Got the cheapest one, which I'll outfit with 4GB of RAM once it comes (Frys has 2GB modules for 85 bucks). Went with the glossy screen after many times going back and forth. I'm super excited though, should come the end of next week.

Also, if anyone is a college student, you get 200 dollars off the MBP, then a free 4GB Nano and a free printer! (199 and 100 dollar rebates, respectively). 500 dollars in savings is pretty awesome!

i'm hoping i come back from CA to a new laptop... i doubt it'd happen, but that's how i ended up with this one... got back from OH last june and my boss had a nice new laptop for me.

i wonder if ipods come with laptops purchased by businesses.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Apple's new cell phone. Personally I think it's overpriced and lacks some important features. Hopefully they come out with a revision six months down the road.

A year or so down the road it will be fantastic. Im looking at it as similar to the iPod at launch. Most people have never even seen one of the mechanical scroll wheel iPods, but we all saw how well the revisions have done...

A year or so down the road it will be fantastic. Im looking at it as similar to the iPod at launch. Most people have never even seen one of the mechanical scroll wheel iPods, but we all saw how well the revisions have done...

We won't know what the first gen kinks will be until it is out in the wild, but it seems like they've got a good thing going with this. If money were no object, I'd buy one now. But I agree, I'm waiting a bit to see what the kinks are, if any, and probably until the second gen. Its a big ticket, and I'm leaning toward getting a new iMac this fall, can't afford both. The service plans look reasonable, anyone in Providence use AT&T, how's the service locally?

We won't know what the first gen kinks will be until it is out in the wild, but it seems like they've got a good thing going with this. If money were no object, I'd buy one now. But I agree, I'm waiting a bit to see what the kinks are, if any, and probably until the second gen. Its a big ticket, and I'm leaning toward getting a new iMac this fall, can't afford both. The service plans look reasonable, anyone in Providence use AT&T, how's the service locally?

I use AT&T for my BlackBerry. Service in Providence all the way up to Boston and down to Newport has so far worked flawlessly for me for both voice and data.

So I will be moving to Boston (Eastie, specifically) July 1st with a couple of buddies. It feels like I just got to Providence. I've only lived here a short time, but since I've been here GTech, the Westin, Waterplace, and the Masonic temple all went from bare metal (or just one wall in the Temple's case) to finished, or close to it. Luckily I'm not moving that far away and can easily take the train down here. My only complaint is that the latest Saturday train back to Boston is at 10pm which is not nearly late enough for me to really enjoy ( :alc: ) a Waterfire. I'll have to make sure I hit all the ones before July.

I'm pretty excited for the move though, we're walking distance to Constitution Beach where I wouldn't swim but you can lay on the sand and watch the planes land and take off. We're right near the Wood Island stop, so it's only three stops to downtown on the blue line which is pretty sweet, too.

Woops, forgot to recant this. Instead, this Sunday I will become a resident of Boston's North End. It's been a great week for packing, too... I think I've sweat out 20 pounds.

I'm pretty stoked for the move though. I fell in love with the North End when my girlfriend moved up there this winter and I can't wait to get up there, sell my car, and settle into the neighborhood. It really is a bona fide neighborhood, something I've never experienced before. Besides the restaurants, I can walk to the pharmacy, gym, hardware store, bars/pubs, library, parks etc. all without leaving my neighborhood. I think it's probably one of the best neighborhoods in Boston as far as amenities and proximity to things (Faneuil, the Garden, downtown, etc.).

I'll definitely be popping into Providence every now and again. Before I moved here I had never visited the city before, so it'll be interesting to return as a visitor instead of a resident.

Edited by JJK5

i'm not sure if it's still there or not, but a pile of horse sh!t has been on the sidewalk at the corner of service road 8 and atwells for over a week. we first noticed it on saturday the 28th of june and it was there on the 4th. i wonder if it's still there. i imagine it's from a police horse... why wouldn't the city clean it up?

I took the torlley to and from work today, so I didn't notice, but I have noticed it for the last week or so. The mounted forces are supposed to take note of where the horses relieve themselves, and then clean it up on the way back to the stables.

I took the torlley to and from work today, so I didn't notice, but I have noticed it for the last week or so. The mounted forces are supposed to take note of where the horses relieve themselves, and then clean it up on the way back to the stables.

who should be contacted if i happen to notice it this weekend?

i'm not sure if it's still there or not, but a pile of horse sh!t has been on the sidewalk at the corner of service road 8 and atwells for over a week. we first noticed it on saturday the 28th of june and it was there on the 4th. i wonder if it's still there. i imagine it's from a police horse... why wouldn't the city clean it up?

Haha, that reminds me of the raccoon carcass that was on the airport exit offramp on 95 last year. I think I saw it in the late summer and it remained at least through December until it probably got plowed up.

who should be contacted if i happen to notice it this weekend?

The Police I guess. That is District 1, the highway is the border, of course they get really lazy on the borders and try to pass stuff off to the neighboring District. I can never find the District 1 Lt, I think he's a ghost. You could call District 4, which is Federal Hill, Lt. Mary Day is responsive to neighborhood issues from what I understand, though she's likely to bounce you to District 1, but you could tell her you live in her District and blah blah blah, and she may just call over to District 1 for you to get it taken care of.

The other option, and maybe the better option is to call the detail office at 243-6405, Sgt. Martinous is the head there.

If you get no love from PPD try calling the DID, I think the Service Road is technically their border, so its not really in their area, but they may be able to tell the Police to get it removed, they pressured the city to clear snow from the bridges two years ago (when it last snowed).

Random question: does anybody have any idea, or can anybody make a rough guess as to, how many square miles the Providence urban area comprises?

From Wikipedia:

The US Census Bureau defines an urban area as: "Core census block groups or blocks that have a population density of at least 1,000 people per square mile (386 per square kilometer) and surrounding census blocks that have an overall density of at least 500 people per square mile (193 per square kilometer)."

Random question: does anybody have any idea, or can anybody make a rough guess as to, how many square miles the Providence urban area comprises?

From Wikipedia:

based on the data on wikipedia (not sure where else to easily find it) and using what you gave for a definition, the providence urban area roughly includes cranston, johnston, smithfield, lincoln, cumberland, pawtucket, central falls, east providence, barrington, warren, tiverton, little compton, warwick, west warwick, coventry, east greenwich, north kingstown, woonsocket, and bristol (in no particular order, obviously). i didn't find the data for the nearby towns in MA. as you can see, that's almost all of RI. it may also include portsmouth, middletown, and newport.

that's only the contiguous area as well, not including narragansett or westerly.

From Wikipedia:

You'd be needing to go to the Census website for that, the answer is probably already there without having to do your own math, but I cannot for the life of me navigate the census site to get any useful information out of it.

The urban area (as defined by the census bureau) would not cover much of Rhode Island and likely not a whole lot of Mass. I think you would be looking for a contiguous area of Providence itself (not leaping across to census tracks in Fall River and New Bedford which aren't contiguous).

There are maps on the census site somewhere showing the density of individual census tracks.

You'd be needing to go to the Census website for that, the answer is probably already there without having to do your own math, but I cannot for the life of me navigate the census site to get any useful information out of it.

The urban area (as defined by the census bureau) would not cover much of Rhode Island and likely not a whole lot of Mass. I think you would be looking for a contiguous area of Providence itself (not leaping across to census tracks in Fall River and New Bedford which aren't contiguous).

There are maps on the census site somewhere showing the density of individual census tracks.

if you clicked on his wikipedia link, you would've found these maps quite easily. :P

they're the maps of the providence urban areas.

• 1 month later...

Coming to a liqour store near you. Cape Cod beer.

I saw something really kewl last Friday night downtown. It was a delivery truck whose almost entire back side was a digital video display panel playing an ad, I assume for that company. I've never seen anything like it before. Perhaps the future of display ads. Unfortunately I was driving by too fast to grab the name of the company or their web site which was printed on the side of the truck. :dontknow: