Lil' Rhody Lounge | Off-topic posting

Cotuit

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Runaway Jim got married today! Congrats, dude. Hope you had some good beers.

Cheers!

thanks! i'll write a review of everything in the urban wedding thread, but everything was perfect. the biltmore could not have done a better job.

Anyone got recommendations on restaurants and bars with decent beer selection? I like trying stuff out, stuff you can't find at grocery stores and your average packie.

julian's on broadway has a kick ass beer selection and amazing food.

• 2 weeks later...

so i'm in canada right now at a conference in new brunswick, but i ran into someone from atlanta who shared some great stories about providence. he was in providence in the mid-late 70's because he was hiring to help design the sound and lighting system for the ocean state performing arts center, which, from his description, sounds like PPAC. he's going to scan and send me some pics he took of it that i'll post somewhere.

anyway, he had a great story. one day there was a guy outside eating breakfast. this black cadillac pulls up, 2 guys jump out, and beat the guy to a pulp. no one did anything, and very quickly, they were back in the car and driving off.

he also said that he was eating in some italian restaurant during a major snow storm (sounded like it was '78). he asked the waitress for an iced tea. he said she started waving the menu over him and he asked what was going on. she goes "look outside, what do you see? we only have iced tea from memorial day to labor day." so he ordered a hot tea and a cup of ice.

i just found it amusing, especially the first story. i can't wait to see the pictures he sends me.

anyway, he had a great story. one day there was a guy outside eating breakfast. this black cadillac pulls up, 2 guys jump out, and beat the guy to a pulp. no one did anything, and very quickly, they were back in the car and driving off.

How typical old school Providence! :lol: All my relatives in Canada swear that Providence is the capital of organized crime in New England. Silly rabbitts, tricks are for kids. :lol:

How typical old school Providence! :lol: All my relatives in Canada swear that Providence is the capital of organized crime in New England. Silly rabbitts, tricks are for kids. :lol:

it used to be. and who knows... it might still be. organized crime has gone more underground lately. :ph34r:

it used to be. and who knows... it might still be. organized crime has gone more underground lately. :ph34r:

I agree. It's not like it use to be. But I see that BoBo Marapese ( the enforcer ) just recently got out of jail after serving a 25 yr sentence for murder, so things might be heating up soon. :huh: I can say, however, with 100% confidence, that most video book/booth stores are mob related. ;) Not to mention the strip clubs. Also sports gambling.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's one for Mr. Segal... the excise tax laws for motor vehicles. The law contradicts itself. It says that the tax collector must send out tax bills. It then says that the residents are still require to pay if the tax collector does not send out the bill. I say it's a sham. There are no penalties for tax bills not being sent.

PS... just got a collection notice saying I didn't pay my taxes. Guess why... stupid city didn't send me a bill. How am I supposed to know that I need to ask them to send me one? And when am I supposed to ask? There's nothing anywhere that says when bills should arrive, when I should call when I realize I never received one, etc...

And I reported the collection agency and the city for violation of MasterCard terms by charging a fee for paying by credit card (which goes against MasterCard agreements).

Cue Cotuit on the tax bill for his car. My solution is to have a car too old to retain enough value to be taxed on :shades:

But yeah, that's definitely a suck.

i had a car like that, but someone rear-ended me on 95 and totaled it. i got something newer because i needed a car that could make it up north for skiing.

once this car is paid off, me and my wife are going to sell both our cars, get one similar to what i have now (only automatic so she can drive it) and go down to one car. if we end up needing a second car (because of job locations or whatever), we'll just get something older.

And I reported the collection agency and the city for violation of MasterCard terms by charging a fee for paying by credit card (which goes against MasterCard agreements).

No way! the city also charges a fee to pay your parking tickets on line too. Clearly, since you can only pay via credit card, that must also be a violation, right?

I reported it to MasterCard. Hopefully they'll do something about it.

I was just checking out my tax bill from East Providence and you can now pay via credit card online. For 2% of the total tax to be paid plus $ 1. I kid you not.

Edited by Frankie811

I guess this is just totally off topic :ph34r:

This is really weird, even for theAnk. :silly: But I have to wonder if it's even legal.

UPS driver gets special, final delivery

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/20...elivery?mode=PF

my wife's uncle recently passed away. he worked for cat for many years. they used his cat pickup as the hearse with his longtime co-workers driving. i don't see why it's not legal. funeral homes are usually really strict when it comes to the laws (like not allowing living people to get inside a casket).

my wife's uncle recently passed away. he worked for cat for many years. they used his cat pickup as the hearse with his longtime co-workers driving. i don't see why it's not legal. funeral homes are usually really strict when it comes to the laws (like not allowing living people to get inside a casket).

Well, I thought it may be illegal since it's against the law ( isn't it ) for the illegal disposal of a body? I'm not saying that this act was illegal, and definately not an illegal disposal of a body, but come on Jim, didn't this act leave just a bitter taste in your mouth? Would you have accompanied this event? This was in bad taste, to be sure. But I have to admit, if the widow/family didn't disapprove, then so be it. As long as they didn't stop into Tim Horton's for the wake/funeral.

Edited by Frankie811

I was just checking out my tax bill from East Providence and you can now pay via credit card online. For 2% of the total tax to be paid plus $ 1. I kid you not.

I was thinking a little bit about this, and in the end I guess it makes sense. The credit card processor is charging this fee, and the government is passing it on directly to those people (you and me and runawayjim) who benefit from it instead of sharing the cost across all taxpayers. Unlike commerce, there's no profit margin that can be cut into in the interest of increasing gross sales (which is the usual rationale behind paying a fee to accept cards). There's no cost savings to taking credit cards until the tax collector's office takes enough card payments to allow them to reduce staff or hours.

For these reasons, it wouldn't surprise me if governments were exempt from rules about charging different "prices" for card transactions vs. cash.

So it sucks for us, but I can see the logic.

I was thinking a little bit about this, and in the end I guess it makes sense. The credit card processor is charging this fee, and the government is passing it on directly to those people (you and me and runawayjim) who benefit from it instead of sharing the cost across all taxpayers. Unlike commerce, there's no profit margin that can be cut into in the interest of increasing gross sales (which is the usual rationale behind paying a fee to accept cards). There's no cost savings to taking credit cards until the tax collector's office takes enough card payments to allow them to reduce staff or hours.

For these reasons, it wouldn't surprise me if governments were exempt from rules about charging different "prices" for card transactions vs. cash.

So it sucks for us, but I can see the logic.

there is a cost savings to taking credit cards... less paperwork. If they get even 1 payment online, it's an automatic deduction, it goes right through their computer systems as paid. They don't have to file any paperwork and mark it off themselves. That saves them time. Last I checked, the government's time does have a value (at least to them). Yes, credit cards come with a fee for the business, but in this case, the government is a business (just a not-for-profit business). Simply out of principle, I will not pay tax bills or tickets online. If they're going to charge me more to do it, what's the point?

Well, I thought it may be illegal since it's against the law ( isn't it ) for the illegal disposal of a body? I'm not saying that this act was illegal, and definately not an illegal disposal of a body, but come on Jim, didn't this act leave just a bitter taste in your mouth? Would you have accompanied this event? This was in bad taste, to be sure. But I have to admit, if the widow/family didn't disapprove, then so be it. As long as they didn't stop into Tim Horton's for the wake/funeral.

This isn't illegal disposal of a body. It's just a way of carrying a body. It probably saved the family money not having to rent a hearse as well (funeral homes charge you for everything). If the family was cool with it, I don't see an issue.

OK Bil, point well taken. I never knew about the 2.5 - 3 % credit charge that banks and other financial institutions charge on merchants and customers untill I had to pick up, oddly enough, the daily receipts @ the Barnsider Mile 1/4, as a security personal officer making a delivery to the bank to make the daily deposit. And if many of you young members remember, the cost of gas in those days costs more if you payed for it with a credit card. They are just bringing this back to liFe now, as the present Attoney General realizes this. I can't believe that we forgot about all thoght. And I'll tell you all one thing or two. If you had even been in that basement where all the food was stored you'd have never eaten there. Trust me on that. Besides the Barnsider I also collected at Coholes from CT. I've walked out there sometimes with $ 45,000. By the way that's one's day's receipct. I use to walk between the rows of clothing to mask my escape. :shades:

Edited by Frankie811

OK Bil, point well taken. I never knew about the 2.5 - 3 % credit charge that banks and other financial institutions charge on merchants and customers untill I had to pick up, oddly enough, the daily receipts @ the Barnsider Mile 1/4, as a security personal officer making a delivery to the bank to make the daily deposit. And if many of you young members remember, the cost of gas in those days costs more if you payed for it with a credit card. They are just bringing this back to liFe now, as the present Attoney General realizes this. I can't believe that we forgot about all thoght. And I'll tell you all one thing or two. If you had even been in that basement where all the food was stored you'd have never eaten there. Trust me on that. Besides the Barnsider I also collected at Coholes from CT. I've walked out there sometimes with $ 45,000. By the way that's one's day's receipct. I use to walk between the rows of clothing to mask my escape. :shades:

Credit card agreements between Visa and MasterCard NEVER allow for a merchant to charge a fee or a minimum purchase to use a credit card. However, merchants are allowed to charge a "cash discount".

Any merchant seen charging an additional fee to pay by credit card should be reported. http://consumerist.com/tag/credit-cards/?i...our-credit-card