Metro Flint developments

dnast

I didn't want to flood the board with news stories that didn't pertain to the other developement threads, so I'm starting this one. I guess it'll cover everything except Flushing, Grand Blanc, and downtown Flint (which means this will include Flint outside of the downtown area).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BD's Mongolian Barbecue pitches tent in Flint Twp.

Theme restaurant opens in Miller Road plaza

Thursday, February 24, 2005

By Rhonda S. Sanders

[email protected] * 810.766.6374

Flint Twp. -- People in ancient times feared an invasion by Mongolian hordes, but local diners need not worry about more than attacking their plates at the BD's Mongolian Barbecue that opened today in Flint Township.

Designed to resemble a yurt (a Mongolian tent home) with stone walls and rustic, earth-toned ambiance, the restaurant at 4205 Miller Road in the Valley Plaza is the first of at least two planned for Genesee County.

"We have a deal to do four restaurants in Genesee and Oakland counties," said Dano Bennett, co-owner with uncles Terry and Bob Bennett. At least one more will be in Genesee County, but no site has been selected.

"Our plate is full right now," Dano Bennett said of the 5,500-square-foot restaurant that seats 160 and has 130 employees. The centerpiece is an 8-foot-round grill that heats up to 600 degrees, where diners watch while up to seven sword-wielding cooks stir-fry a combination of meats, vegetables, sauces and spices selected from a buffet. Prices range from $7.99 t o $13.99.

The grilling mimics a Mongolian victory celebration in which the fearsome warriors grilled their food on their shields over an open fire, Bennett said. Bennett, formerly franchise director for BD's corporate office, and his uncles decided to open a franchise here after noticing that 20 percent of customers at the company's southeastern Michigan restaurants came from Genesee County, he said.

It took about a year to resolve parking and other issues for the Valley Plaza corner spot formerly occupied by Dan's Fan City and Gloria's specialty shop. The latter relocated to another spot in the plaza to make room for the restaurant, Bennett said.

The space was gutted and remodeled by Case Construction to include separate smoking areas and a private meeting room that seats about 40. About 80 percent of suppliers are local, Bennett said.

From more than 1,000 applicants, Bennett selected employees, most of whom are college students who fit the restaurant's interactive style.

"We hire personalities here," Bennett said, noting the cooks can be trained to stir-fry but not how to be entertaining. The Flint staff has the best work ethic he's seen in the 20 restaurants he's opened for the company, he said. The restaurant's hours are 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 11 a.m.-midnight on Friday and Saturday. Reservations for groups of six or more are taken at (810) 732-1132.

I'm not a coffee fan, but I'm glad Flint is finally getting a Starbucks store (not just a part of another store). They got approved for outdoor seating, but being on the Flint side of Court & Center Rd., it won't be pedestrian friendly at all.

I'm not a coffee fan, but I'm glad Flint is finally getting a Starbucks store (not just a part of another store). They got approved for outdoor seating, but being on the Flint side of Court & Center Rd., it won't be pedestrian friendly at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: Thats the best place in Flint for outdoor seating. You'll get a lovely view of priscilla's, salvatore's, the vet and the 75 interchange.

That's just like Starbucks to open two stores on the same day, lol.

And is it just me or is Logan's (the new restaurant in the mall's parking lot) a hideous looking building? It's not the usual box that's so common on Miller Rd., but that building looks way overdone. I wish I had a pic to post.

I forgot to mention that I was at the Valley the other day and they've finally started demolishing the Ward's building. I'm not sure what they're doing but there were like three random holes about 10ft. in diameter when I saw it.

Oh...I thought it was going to look hideous. lol That's how all of the Logan's look. :P I guess in Michigan they look out of place, because the one we went to a few times at my sister's in North Carolina looked in place. :P

I'm glad to see demolition starting. :)

Oh...I thought it was going to look hideous. lol That's how all of the Logan's look. :P  I guess in Michigan they look out of place, because the one we went to a few times at my sister's in North Carolina looked in place. :P

I'm glad to see demolition starting. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WHere's your sister at down here?

Logans is a terrible restaurant...it's the same as lonestaroutbacktexasroadhouseanyothergenericsteakhouseoutthere.

WHere's your sister at down here?

Logans is a terrible restaurant...it's the same as lonestaroutbacktexasroadhouseanyothergenericsteakhouseoutthere.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They just moved to the DC area, but she and my brother-in-law lived in Fayetteville. That's a beautiful city, especially at this time of the year when the dogwoods are beginning to bloom. :)

Nice photos, Dnast. It's always good to see progress. I was having one of those "I don't feel like getting out of the car to take photos" days the other day, haha. Maybe if I stopped climbing to the roofs of abandoned skyscrapers....

I did not know that Logan's came to Flint. I guess that's what happens when I spend every weekend in Grand Rapids.

And VeeFan, I'm not sure how familiar you are with Detroit, but many of the roads there are much worse than the pothole-riddled roads of Flint. Fort Street through Southwest Detroit in particular is very bad. There are several places where you can see straight through the road bed & to the metal rebar embedded in the road. Even the bravest SUV driviers have to slow down to 15 mph just to navigate that obstacle course of a road! The city does try to patch it, but because of the heavy 24 hour truck traffic from the Ambassador Bridge, the patches never last more than two or three days. The left lane is best, but beware: I have seen many people changing tires on the side of the road. Especially try to avoid the area where I-75, Fort, Lawndale, & the railroad bridge converge. I don't think I've ever seen a road in worse shape anywhere! M-DOT hopes to be able to fix it by 2010. In other words, it will continue to get worse for the next few years.

Archived