Old Flint Photos

Allan

I've probably posted these before, but some of the newer members may not have seen them. I will post more as I find them. I have 34,000 city photos on my computer that I've saved from the internet in addition to the 9000 I've taken over the past year or so, so it can be really hard to find things sometimes.

flint1.jpg

flint2.jpg

Flint3.jpg

Flint.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, those are great pics! I've only seen the first one before. The last pic really shows some of how much Flint has lost. Except for the Durant Hotel and Northbank Center in the far distance, none of those buildings on the East (right) side of Saginaw St. exist anymore.

If anybody is having trouble placing this photo, the Kresge Building was where the University Pavillion parking lot currently is.

Allan, would you happen to know what that tall building in the upper right corner of that last pic is?

I was hoping you'd know, because I sure don't! I remember the Flint Journal had a a photo of downtown from that building in the "Looking Back" box one Sunday late last year. I can't remember if it said the name of the building it was taken from or not. I will try to find it the next time I go home, but I have no idea where I put it! I did save it though.

Here are some more I've saved over the years. Most of these come from the WSU Virtual Motor City.

flint4.jpg

Downtown, 1930s

flint5.jpg

Downtown, 1935. Notice that they are installing the bricks on Saginaw Street in this photo.

flint6.jpg

I didn't realize that the Dryden Building was so old. I thought it was built in the 1920s, but this photo is from about 1915. Also, when did they remove the top story?

flint7.jpg

Looking to the North

flint8.jpg

flint9.jpg

The building towards the center of the photo is the Scene Opera House. Any idea as to when it was demolished?

flint10.jpg

flint11.jpg

Flint River

flint12.jpg

Looking south down Saginaw Street. The 352 Building stands alone on the right. What is that building on the left?

flint13.jpg

Aerial, 1930s. Look how little the city sprawled back then!

flint14.jpg

An explosion at a gas station, 1930s.

flint15.jpg

flint16.jpg

flint17.jpg

flint19.jpg

I was wondering about the building semi-across from the 352 building, too. I wonder if it was torn down to put in University Pavillion or was it already gone?

I've only seen a couple of paintings of the Scene Opera House - I didn't even know its name until this thread. That was one beautiful building!

About the Dryden. I'm guessing it burned down and rebuilt as 5 stories. The design looks pretty much the same, though. I just don't see the point of removing one story.

Where'd the river go?? :)

flint14.jpg

The Dryden looks identical today, with the exception of the sixth story. Fire? Water damage? Who knows.

The reason I know it is the Scene Opera House is because of a postcard I saw online (and have saved to my computer somewhere). As you well know, it is extremely difficult to find Flint stuff online.

And what is that building over the river? A control station for a dam or something?

Those are really great pictures. :) In the very last one posted, is that the Mott Foundation Building in the center?

Going back to the first post, I wish they would have left the plaza in front of the Durant Hotel open. I don't really like how it's crowded with trees now.

Yep, that would be the Mott Foundation Building in the center.

EDIT: I believe that the Scene Opera House was demolished in 1923 for the Flint Journal Building, which opened in 1924. One block south of the Scene was the Bijou Theater, which was closed in 1939. Of course today Genesee Towers stands on the site of the Scene. Other popular downtown theaters of the day included the Strand (still standing next to the Mott Foundation Building), the State (the building that Blackstone's Department store was in), the Rialto (where the new Citizens Bank Building stands), and the Michigan (now the parking lot of Julie's Pawn & Jewlery Shop).

Archived