Charleston Skyscrapers

Charleston native

Can Charleston have a taller skyline that is NOT near the historic district? Explain your answer.  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Can Charleston have a taller skyline that is NOT near the historic district? Explain your answer.

• Yes
    • No

I kind of disagree with the premise that no high-rises could be built south of the crosstown. MUSC's tower is only Phase I of their redevelopment project. The plan has Phases II and III showing what will be taller towers for additional hospital beds and specialized surgery levels. The tallest tower is reported to be 20 stories. The Student Wellness Center (where I used to work) will be completely demolished and the land there will be for one of the towers...the other one will be built across the street on Courtenay Drive. This street will be going through a radical transformation, and the old houses that are doctor's offices will be demolished to make way for the widening and rebuilding. A new Wellness Center will be built in the old parking lot facing the dental building, closer to the center of the university's campus. Granted, these are still preliminary plans, but MUSC's best bet for continued growth is to build taller.

Some other possibilities for high-rises include the ugly green-and-cream-colored building which used to house Wachovia at the intersection of Courtenay and Cannon. Currently during the new phases, the maintenance and physical plant offices for MUSC are located there, but will move once the Phases are completed. I think it would be a great idea to raze this building and build a 25-story high-rise complex for a health insurance company and maybe some apartments. Also, the old medical office building across Calhoun from Roper could be demolished and a high-rise built there.

I agree with your statements about the Neck and the area with all the fast food restaurants and ugly hotels. The latter is affectionately known as "Burger Row" by C of C and Citadel students. This area could definitely get high-rises built to replace the Harborview MUSC tower and the hotels including developing the land up Lockwood and Hagood Avenues. Public housing would have to be moved, for certain, but maybe they could place a buffer with a park and rebuild the housing behind it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

CHARLESTON NATIVE, where did you see this information about the phase 2 and phase 3. I heard about this before but i could never find it on a website. I also know that they are planning to build high rise buildings on the east side of the peninsula. Plans are to build some condos near the foot of the new Ravenel Bridge.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Charleston needs another interstate running to it as well as a larger airport. This could cause a population influx; then it will be neccessary for the city to have skyscrapers, which can easily be balanced with the existing historic buildings.

Boston did it!

Building skyscrapers would be detrimental to the city. Towering modern skyscrapers would take away the historical aura of the holy city and turn it into a typical american city, like Boston or Philly.

People like Charleston because it's totally different, It's like taking a time machine back to a colonial time period and setting, the way life use to be. So, I think city leaders should continue to maintain height restrictions and keep the city exactly as it is.

Building skyscrapers would be detrimental to the city.  Towering modern skyscrapers would take away the historical aura of the holy city and turn it into a typical american city, like Boston or Philly. 

People like Charleston because it's totally different,  It's like taking a time machine back to a colonial time period and setting, the way life use to be. So, I think city leaders should continue to maintain height restrictions and keep the city exactly as it is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you think about allowing them outside of downtown?

Charleston needs a business district where skyscrapers could be located just beyond the fringes of the historic portion of the city -- near the new bridges would be ideal. I think here in Charleston we can have the best of both worls -- historic district and modern business area.

Charleston is not a big enouph city to support a business district with high rise buildings.  Knoxville is quite a bit larger and only has two skyscrapers!

Charleston is a sleepy little tourist town, not a business center! Keep them in Columbia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually Charleston is the same size as Columbia and Knoxville, and its hardly a sleepy tourist town. Many people would take issue with calling it a "sleepy little tourist town."

Charleston is not a big enouph city to support a business district with high rise buildings.  Knoxville is quite a bit larger and only has two skyscrapers!

Charleston is a sleepy little tourist town, not a business center! Keep them in Columbia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Obviously somebody who either hasn't been to Charleston in a while or someone who sdoesn't know the city at all. The two cities are virtually the same size.

Obviously somebody who either hasn't been to Charleston in a while or someone who sdoesn't know the city at all.  The two cities are virtually the same size.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Atually I went there on my Honeymoon. Maybe I'm missing somthing! It's pretty, no doubt about that!

I think people will be really surprised with how Charleston changes over the next 10-20 years. I have personally seen a great deal of economic development over the last ten years. The pace of development just continues to speed up not only downtown but throughout the Charleston area (just look at Summerville).

• 2 weeks later...

CHARLESTON NATIVE, where did you see this information about the phase 2 and phase 3.  I heard about this before but i could never find it on a website.  I also know that they are planning to build high rise buildings on the east side of the peninsula.  Plans are to build some condos near the foot of the new Ravenel Bridge.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry randy1, I never responded to your question in this thread. I worked for MUSC as a manager for the student wellness center from 2001-2003, and during my last year, MUSC held a forum for employees to answer questions about future development there. They revealed the master plan for MUSC which included 2nd and 3rd phases, but those phases were more general in scope. They DID say, however, that they wanted to build taller hospital towers with extra beds with at least 1 tower going 20 stories tall. That height is really no big deal; Dockside Condominiums near the aquarium is 19 stories.

The area around MUSC is probably the sole area for taller buildings to possibly be built in DT. This includes areas around the baseball and football stadium which are bordered by Spring Street, Hagood Avenue, and Lockwood Drive.

• 10 months later...

It can happen. I think the neck area should be converted into office towers. That would allow for the improvement of the area since they want to revitalize it anyway. It would also create a "CBD" of sorts for corporations seeking a Charleston locale.

I agree with moton- the question is do they want it?

I think the answer is no. Charlestonian leaders are so caught up with the history that they refuse to believe that it is not the 18th century anymore. I love old history of Charleston, but if old world cities like London and Paris can find a way to incorporate office towers into their city, then so can Charleston.

Having said that, I realize the the official City of Paris and City of London are actually not where these office towers are located. However, the principle is still there. London converted the old Canary Wharf that was a run-down area into a prime area for office towers. As I understand it the London Metro has some sort of umbrella government. But I'd really rather not get into English politics etc.

La D

• 5 months later...

I think that downtown will never have skyscrapers, but N. Charleston will, and I think that that would be a great spot for 'em. That area needs development anyway, might as well make it up

I'm from Mount Pleasant and I always felt charleston should have a taller skyline. A skyline is the pride of a city and a sign of prosperity. The neck area does seem like the best idea for a good location for taller buildings. the historic area must remain but there is a need for the initial excitement that skyskrappers bring.

not to be vulger but the size of a city's skyline is kinda like the male penis size in the way it boosts the pride onf its citizens.

think of the historic district as the heart and soul of a beautiful woman and a tall beautiful skyline would be a very attractive dress she wearing that attracts us to her all the more.

that being said if the demand isn't there then they won't and shouldn't be built....

not to be vulger but the size of a city's skyline is kinda like the male penis size in the way it boosts the pride onf its citizens.

Thats the funniest thing i have heard in a long time .....LOL.....Its just funny when i think about that. Does that mean if we all had bigger peni then more people would socialize with us? I think a few tall buildings like the daniel building or the capital building would look good in charleston but not to close to all the historic houses and things. Hell myrtle beach has more towers than charlotte. Its only a matter of time before they build a 500 footer.

Thats the funniest thing i have heard in a long time .....LOL.....Its just funny when i think about that. Does that mean if we all had bigger peni then more people would socialize with us?

Not neccessarily, Its just a self esteem thing. something to stick our chests out about. I mean big towers basically represent money and power. while we see penis size as a similar symbol of manlyness.

but your right the historic district must remain. There should really be two business districts. the current business district is currently over crowded anyway because it has to share space with places that cater to tourism..

The bridge in charleston is awesome. Would love to see some big towers off in the distance along with the bridge towers that you can already see sticking up 600 feet in the air! Would be very neat to put them outside the historic distric but always keep the historic distric just the way it is.

I think Charleston will have a taller skyline on a level of Columbia, in and around the Medical District...let's just hope these buildings are not just big blocks that look like towering, unattractive refrigerators. From the photos I've seen of the bridge as it appears in the backdrop of St. Philips steeple, Charleston looks very unique, very romantic...which is something I would personally not want to change.

N. Charleston will probably run into the usual dramatic civic/regional/state roadblocks of every Charleston kind if it were to attempt taller buildings because it surrounds Charleston International Airport. It seems the high-salaried people of elite Mt. Pleasant would like to think of Mt. Pleasant as a town for another 100 years; though the town will have grown to more than 200,000 citizens. If only Greenville and Columbia had powerful burbs to push them as Charleston burbs pushes Charleston to sink or grow bigger than the rest, G'ville & Cola would have more people as well. Still, I can't see Mt. Pleasant building above 10 stories before I turn 100 years old...But that's OK...Shem Creek is one of my favorite places on the planet & may still look the same in 2058...

And who knows, ideas of new generations sometimes change, and they say the Artic is melting, and now I have to accept that Pluto has lost its status as planet...

I think Charleston will have a taller skyline on a level of Columbia, in and around the Medical District...let's just hope these buildings are not just big blocks that look like towering, unattractive refrigerators. From the photos I've seen of the bridge as it appears in the backdrop of St. Philips steeple, Charleston looks very unique, very romantic...which is something I would personally not want to change.

N. Charleston will probably run into the usual dramatic civic/regional/state roadblocks of every Charleston kind if it were to attempt taller buildings because it surrounds Charleston International Airport. It seems the high-salaried people of elite Mt. Pleasant would like to think of Mt. Pleasant as a town for another 100 years; though the town will have grown to more than 200,000 citizens. If only Greenville and Columbia had powerful burbs to push them as Charleston burbs pushes Charleston to sink or grow bigger than the rest, G'ville & Cola would have more people as well. Still, I can't see Mt. Pleasant building above 10 stories before I turn 100 years old...But that's OK...Shem Creek is one of my favorite places on the planet & may still look the same in 2058...

And who knows, ideas of new generations sometimes change, and they say the Artic is melting, and now I have to accept that Pluto has lost its status as planet...

Are you saying that Mount Pleasant is pushing the population growth that charleston is seeing? theres no question that Mount P is growing but i wonder if its the sole reason for the growth...

If only Greenville and Columbia had powerful burbs to push them as Charleston burbs pushes Charleston to sink or grow bigger than the rest, G'ville & Cola would have more people as well.

While Columbia and Charleston don't have suburbs growing as quickly as Charleston, I find that to be a good thing. Columbia has annexed pretty aggressively, and its closest competition as far as a town is concerned is Lexington which is less than 1/6 the size of Columbia. I think that perhaps Greenville may face a suburban competitor in the years to come because of its relatively low population (Greer perhaps?). But if you include fast-growing unincorporated areas, there may indeed be some competition. Northeast Richland is arguably the fastest-growing part of the Columbia metro, and if it ever incorporates, Columbia may have its own North Charleston or Mount Pleasant to deal with.

Are you saying that Mount Pleasant is pushing the population growth that charleston is seeing? theres no question that Mount P is growing but i wonder if its the sole reason for the growth...

...when I was in college in Charleston (Baptist College, now Charleston Southern University on University Boulevard), city of Charleston had gone into hibernation with the rise of a **burb in sticks called North Charleston, which almost overtook Charleston in popoulation when Charleston had 69,000 people while NChas 65,000 (late 1970s). At the time it was expected North Charleston with aggressive Mayor Bourne (?) would grown NCharleston to more than 100,000 people with more major North Area annexations within a decade, which seemed odd 'cause North Charleston did not look like a city compared to Charleston...There was a big write-up about it in the daily "Ashley Cooper" column (in the then News & Courier) by a visiting journalist from a Charleston, WV, newspaper who said Charleston's North Charleston would confuse people even more...since Charleston, WV, was considered in the north of Charleston...

But something changed after Charleston annexed Daniel Island and the city has finally gone over 100k.

Yes, I believe as Mt. Pleasant grows, so will Charleston...A bigger Mt. Pleasant will create a bigger & better Charleston...

Houston, TX, IMO, has become the new Charleston...as Charleston was the largest city in the South until the 1840s (I believe)...

**when our basketball team played College of Charleston downtown and fittingly lost, "go back to your sticks" was the chant of College of Charleston students to us poor Baptist College Buccaneers...In that game, BCC held the ball (this before the clock) for almost the entire first half which ended at a score of 5 to 2...in favor of CofC...It was a horrible game, CofC ended up blowing out the Bucs and we were very happy to return to the peaceful sticks at our spacious campus of North Charleston...I lived in a dorm called "Russell Hall East...", my roommate was golfer who never studied and had dated Beth Daniel. The college used PO boxes with city of Charleston addresses instead of NCharleston or Ladson..."Charleston" was what I had lured me to BCC in the first place. If I had seen Ladson or N. Charleston beforehand, I would have gone to another college...

...when I was in college in Charleston (Baptist College, now Charleston Southern University on University Boulevard), city of Charleston had gone into hibernation with the rise of a **burb in sticks called North Charleston, which almost overtook Charleston in popoulation when Charleston had 69,000 people while NChas 65,000 (late 1970s). At the time it was expected North Charleston with aggressive Mayor Bourne (?) would grown NCharleston to more than 100,000 people with more major North Area annexations within a decade, which seemed odd 'cause North Charleston did not look like a city compared to Charleston...There was a big write-up about it in the daily "Ashley Cooper" column (in the then News & Courier) by a visiting journalist from a Charleston, WV, newspaper who said Charleston's North Charleston would confuse people even more...since Charleston, WV, was considered in the north of Charleston...

But something changed after Charleston annexed Daniel Island and the city has finally gone over 100k.

Yes, I believe as Mt. Pleasant grows, so will Charleston...A bigger Mt. Pleasant will create a bigger & better Charleston...

Houston, TX, IMO, has become the new Charleston...as Charleston was the largest city in the South until the 1840s (I believe)...

**when our basketball team played College of Charleston downtown and fittingly lost, "go back to your sticks" was the chant of College of Charleston students to us poor Baptist College Buccaneers...In that game, BCC held the ball (this before the clock) for almost the entire second half and the score was 5 to 2...in favor of CofC...It was a horrible game & was happy to return to the sticks of North Charleston...

Yea i can remember charleston when i was a kid "the 80's" and it just didnt seem like the charleston we see now. Through the 70's and 80's charleston seemed dead and noone cared. Why the sudden new interest? whats bringing everyone? it seemed actually like hugo sparked interest in the area.

And now charleston has a lot of competition if it wants to be the southern leader again, miami, atlanta, charolette, the many cities in texas, northern VA, and im sure theres more i'm missing.

Yea i can remember charleston when i was a kid "the 80's" and it just didnt seem like the charleston we see now. Through the 70's and 80's charleston seemed dead and noone cared. Why the sudden new interest? whats bringing everyone? it seemed actually like hugo sparked interest in the area.

And now charleston has a lot of competition if it wants to be the southern leader again, miami, atlanta, charolette, the many cities in texas, northern VA, and im sure theres more i'm missing.

You're correct. Charleston has set its standards higher these days & can now compete with Southern cities like Atlanta. I never thought about that...HUGO... but maybe when HUGO blew in, the direction of that strong wind "shook" up Charleston's soul.

I remember I was walking down Market Street on way to work here in SF the morning after HUGO when a good friend I used to date (...we rode the subway to work together from Church Street Station to the financial district and broked up after the 1989 San Francisco earthquake, shortly after HUGO had struck Charleston...my priorities change after that quake scared the hell out of me), who knew my love of Charleston, screamed from across the street for the me to check out the morning papers, which featured a destroyed Charleston all over front page of San Francisco Chronicle and San Jose Mercury...and I got tears in my eyes to see that.

Archived