Charleston Skyscrapers

Charleston native

Can Charleston have a taller skyline that is NOT near the historic district? Explain your answer.  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Can Charleston have a taller skyline that is NOT near the historic district? Explain your answer.

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think of Mount Pleasant and North Charleston and Summerville as separate places. Think of them as parts of a whole. They are parts of Charleston area. One area's success depends on the other's in some way.

why is charleston like that anyway? most cities would basically be charleston county with each part of the city having different counties. Its like charleston is backwards..

do you think with all the areas together charleston is comparable to Atlanta? I dont feel it is...

why is charleston like that anyway? most cities would basically be charleston county with each part of the city having different counties. Its like charleston is backwards..

do you think with all the areas together charleston is comparable to Atlanta? I dont feel it is...

...parts of Charleston, at least from experience and the people I've known there, reminds me a lot of San Francisco, esp. the restaurants & nightlife...The Battery after dark used to be like the cruisy block of Collinwood Street (Eureka Playground) near 18th (behind CALA Foods) in San Francisco's Castro district.

...I have never had any interest in Atlana, never been to it, save the airport....

I dont really understand the question?

Atlanta is not comparable to Charleston at all. Atlanta is working towards 5 million, charleston is maybe 600 thousand. There are no similarities at all.

Atlanta is not comparable to Charleston at all. Atlanta is working towards 5 million, charleston is maybe 600 thousand. There are no similarities at all.

I agree, but thought someone made a statement alluding that charleston was competition to atlanta. Probably wasn't you. I dont personally like atlanta, but as far as economics and population there is no competition.

I didnt think atlanta was quite that populated thou. 5m? I thought it was still around the 1-2m level...

I agree, but thought someone made a statement alluding that charleston was competition to atlanta. Probably wasn't you. I dont personally like atlanta, but as far as economics and population there is no competition.

I didnt think atlanta was quite that populated thou. 5m? I thought it was still around the 1-2m level...

Nooo... the Atlanta metro has 4.4 million at least. 5 million is its next milestone, which it will reach pretty soon (probably by the 2010 census). Atlanta doesnt really compete with Charleston on any level. Two completely different economies.

Nooo... the Atlanta metro has 4.4 million at least. 5 million is its next milestone, which it will reach pretty soon (probably by the 2010 census). Atlanta doesnt really compete with Charleston on any level. Two completely different economies.

Truly, the two cities are entirely different animals and would probably never want to emulate each other. Atlanta is all about making money and corporate activity while Charleston is mostly about quality of life, tourism, and the shipping and medical industries.

Truly, the two cities are entirely different animals and would probably never want to emulate each other. Atlanta is all about making money and corporate activity while Charleston is mostly about quality of life, tourism, and the shipping and medical industries.

agreed, but i believe these difference are why charleston probably won't become a major city. For all I know becomming a major city may not even be the city's intention. Nothing promotes growth like income. I'm actually surprised quality of life and tourism can create the type of growth we now see.

as far as atlanta population I what I probably seen was not the metro area population.

Atlanta's city population is estimated to be somewhere around 475K if I'm not mistaken, and the MSA population was last estimated to be 4.9M.

I do agree that there will need to be more of a corporate emphasis if Charleston is to become a major Southern city again, but don't underestimate what the city has going for it now. In this regard, Charleston reminds me a bit of Memphis, both having a substantial blue-collar base.

Thats the funniest thing i have heard in a long time .....LOL.....Its just funny when i think about that. Does that mean if we all had bigger peni then more people would socialize with us? I think a few tall buildings like the daniel building or the capital building would look good in charleston but not to close to all the historic houses and things. Hell myrtle beach has more towers than charlotte. Its only a matter of time before they build a 500 footer.

Myrtle beach doesn't have more high rises than Charlotte. Myrtle beach has 101 high rises and Charlotte has 109 and counting and I'm sure Myrtle beach hasn't added that many highrises in a yr. or so and again CLT is building them like crazy. Let me state, "This isn't a remark to belittle any city ,just facts".

Myrtle beach doesn't have more high rises than Charlotte. Myrtle beach has 101 high rises and Charlotte has 109 and counting and I'm sure Myrtle beach hasn't added that many highrises in a yr. or so and again CLT is building them like crazy. Let me state, "This isn't a remark to belittle any city ,just facts".

Where did you find this information at?Because Charlotte doesn't look as if they have 109 high rises. Are you counting mid rises also????

Where did you find this information at?

Hello Metlife, the infomation i've written was taken from emporis and I think,from my observation,any building more than 10 ft. is considered an high rise.

Where did you find this information at?Because Charlotte doesn't look as if they have 109 high rises. Are you counting mid rises also????

[/quote I'm counting all buildings over the city that are 10 ft and above and it is a very close race between MB and CLT.

Don't assume Emporis is the authority on the matter. Charlotte has seen a highrise building boom over past few years. Myrlte Beach has been building at a steady pace for decades. MB will probably start getting more before too long when the older, lower hotels are gradually replaced with larger ones.

Actually Myrtle beach does have more highrises than CLT, but they're mostly smaller residential towers :) Sry Off Topic.

Like I posted before, CLT does have more highrise buildings than MB.If you don't go by facts then what shall you use.I'm aware that MB has been building highrises at a steady pace but what does that mean?CLT has been throwing up highrises also and this is really off topic, in this particular thread anyway but someone else posted that incorrect infomation and last but not least, I hope Charleston does start an skyscraper boom.I think its likely to happen though because Charleston isn't focused on corporate headquarters,business,residential highrises and etc...it's an tourist destination and rich on it's heritage,culture,shopping and beaches.It's by far ,one of the best of the best in SC.

the question? i thought "he" meant it on a cultural scale, where Charleston's SPOLETO Festival is internationally known, and the P&C has good-looking humor columnist--***Bryce Donovan!!! the best reason to read the Post & Courier IMO...POPULATION & Economics: Charleston definitely cannnot compare to Atlanta here, being Metro Atlanta has even more people than all of South Carolina...

***People Magazine named Donovan one of the hottest bachelors of 2006...

I'm not sure if I would say that Charleston competes with Atlanta. Apart from SC's other two major cities, Charleston's competitors would include Jacksonville, Savannah, Wilmington, Norfolk, Mobile, etc.

I agree completely. Charleston to me feels like a Savannah or Norfolk/Williamsburg. More historic and laid back than a bustling economic engine. Charleston has a lot of charm that I think it would lose if it grew too modern. I remember some ten years ago going on a school field trip to Charleston and how big of a deal it was. And that was coming from a suburban middle school outside of Charlotte. There is a lot to learn from Charleston, and I hope it stays that way for a long time.

I definitely think Charleston's "Highrise District" should be in the area around and just north of Rt 17 around where I-26 ends, which I assume is the neck area. If Charleston wishes to grow, it has to have more than just tourism to drive its economy. Remember, tourism jobs build wealth for property owners, but does little for the workers - tourism jobs are some of the lowest paying around.

I definitely think Charleston's "Highrise District" should be in the area around and just north of Rt 17 around where I-26 ends, which I assume is the neck area. If Charleston wishes to grow, it has to have more than just tourism to drive its economy. Remember, tourism jobs build wealth for property owners, but does little for the workers - tourism jobs are some of the lowest paying around.

Yea but i feel for some reason there is a lot of resistance to this. I feel people ae happy with just tourism for some reason. I dont ever see charleston pushing for any big corporate headquarters. I could be wrong.

As a relatively new resident of Charleston, I've developed a few thoughts on the issue. My primary problem is that a lot of the preservationist movement, while good intentioned, seems to seek to make Charleston a dead city.

What people need to realize, is that Charleston, like all cities, is a living, dynamic place. Some people seem content for Charleston to be something of a postcard from the past, a snapshot of a once-thriving city. I disagree. Just because there exists history here, which should certainly be preserved, it is not betraying that heritage to continue to modernize the city.

After all, the things we build today will become the historic buildings of tomorrow. And that's the great irony of the debate. Imagine if Charleston had decided to limit growth before some of it's most cherished building were built. Or if Paris had torn down the Eiffel Tower (they wanted to).

We should respect our history and the history of the city, not worship it.

Archived