Charleston Skyscrapers

Charleston native

Can Charleston have a taller skyline that is NOT near the historic district? Explain your answer.  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Can Charleston have a taller skyline that is NOT near the historic district? Explain your answer.

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont agree with calling charleston a dead city. Its probably the most lively city in SC.

I didn't call it a dead city at all. I think it's the opposite. The city is one of the main reasons I chose to go to College here.

That's the risk of preservation taken to the extreme, though. Charleston doesn't just exist in the past. It's not just some monument to earlier times. It exists in the present, and will exist in the future, as a vibrant thriving city, as long and we allow it to.

^ Hey Jason-P, welcome to the UP! I agree with you 100%. I understand what you were saying precisely. Chas is not a dead city at all, but there are those individuals who seem to want it to become a dead city, a mere historic monument and nothing more. These individuals seem to have more political clout and a louder voice than many Charlestonians such as myself who want Chas to maintain its historic charm and beauty but also grow, thrive, and become more modern in other areas.

The real debate here is dealing with preservation in Chas. Is it too extreme for the 21st century or should more buildings in other areas of the peninsula be preserved? I believe that in some matters, it is indeed too extreme. There is no balance in deciding how tall buildings are...some city council members have even been pushing for city-wide height restrictions.

The Neck area as waccamatt correctly pointed out is the next stage in development for the city. It is only logical to consider high-rises to be built in this area, especially if Chas is to remain relevant for years to come.

Yea but i feel for some reason there is a lot of resistance to this. I feel people ae happy with just tourism for some reason. I dont ever see charleston pushing for any big corporate headquarters. I could be wrong.

Tourism must be doing something for the Chuck because it's the fastest growing area in s.c. I think one day Charleston will have it's on highrise district away from downtown that would really make Charleston unique. But for right now there's still alot of older wealthy people in charleston and the reason they moved to charleston is because of it's history and culture and they do not want the city to loose it's identity.

I think what was meant by the economic comment was more corporate in nature. Charleston does indeed have a well-rounded economy (more than just tourism, contrary to popular opinion), but it's mostly blue collar. Nothing wrong with that in the least, but it would be nice to see a large law firm or bank set up corporate HQ's in the city.

But for right now there's still alot of older wealthy people in charleston and the reason they moved to charleston is because of it's history and culture and they do not want the city to loose it's identity.

This is the resistance I was talking about. Especially in mount pleasant. Mt. pleasant is ordinance crazy. They want charleston to be there retirement city, and i believe they say to hell with progress all they want is what they dreamed would be there retirement community. And when the rich old people speak the mjors listen..

Chalreston could be even more beautiful with the right development. I mean they could build another part of the city that will be just revered in the future as the historic district is now. it doesnt have to turn into manhattan or chicago because of development. imagine if charleston developed based on image over just generic development, the city would be irristiable..

and tourism has lead to mostly residential growth which also brings some commerical but what charleston needs is a real corporate presence...

^ Your last sentence is something I've been hoping for my hometown to achieve for quite some time. The lack of a major HQ with a provision of lots of white-collar jobs has really kept the city's boom at a lower level. Chas has succeeded with some tech companies such as Blackbaud setting up its HQ there, as well as SunTrust starting its entry into the metro area market. However, the city needs something like a HealthSouth HQ relocation or BOA regional HQ location. Maybe since the aerospace industry is starting to accumulate in Chas, some companies in that sector might consider relocation there.

^ Your last sentence is something I've been hoping for my hometown to achieve for quite some time. The lack of a major HQ with a provision of lots of white-collar jobs has really kept the city's boom at a lower level. Chas has succeeded with some tech companies such as Blackbaud setting up its HQ there, as well as SunTrust starting its entry into the metro area market. However, the city needs something like a HealthSouth HQ relocation or BOA regional HQ location. Maybe since the aerospace industry is starting to accumulate in Chas, some companies in that sector might consider relocation there.

Yea what it is is that charleston needs a corporate niche'. wasnt they supposed to or isnt there a tech corridor somewhere? i remember chaleston trying to follow houston and charlottes's(sp) model for bringing tech companies here. I dont think it has worked to well thus far. I could be wrong thou im not in that loop.

Yea what it is is that charleston needs a corporate niche'. wasnt they supposed to or isnt there a tech corridor somewhere? i remember chaleston trying to follow houston and charlottes's(sp) model for bringing tech companies here. I dont think it has worked to well thus far. I could be wrong thou im not in that loop.

No mags, you are correct. The city of Chas began the Chas Digital Corridor to entice and attract tech companies in moving operations and HQs to the city. It has worked with a few companies such as Blackbaud and a health tech company whom I am blanking on the name. Some others have expressed interest.

The white-collar presence in the city is mostly engineering and medical jobs. Chas has a chance to increase this kind of spending power through an increase in aeronautical industries and biomed research. The biggest opportunity for skyscrapers would be in those kinds of companies.

Archived