Ringing it up in Philadelphia

Scott

I don't know. Philadelphia is so much larger than Boston that ultimately it's hard to compare. Overall, I like Philly more than Boston - although downtown Boston is easily a much more attractive place. Philly seems like it grew to nearly gargantuan proportions and then someone popped the balloon leaving so many gaps in the core that it's disturbing. Nevertheless, taking the larger whole into consideration, Philly has much more to offer - and significantly less attitude - than Boston.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boston could be bigger than it is if it chose to be.

Huh? Boston had nearly 850,000 people in the 1950's and shrunk to it's current population in the mid 500K's. Seems like what most people "chose" was to live in the suburbs. That's not bashing Boston, that's just the facts.

• 4 weeks later...

I am interested in seeing how people view a potential balanced rivalry ( as it hasnt been before) as Philadelphia becomes more prominant.

I've so far watched a lot of discussion about Philadelphia from the sidelines. Here's my two cents:

It seems to me that Philadelphia suffered the same post-war decline as all American cities, but Philadelphia never completely sank because it retains so many important qualities that can make it thrive on the other site of that decline, such as an economy that doesn't depend solely on one sector, superlative history, an extensive public transit system, dense and walkable streets, and notable universities. Philadelphia might not be at the same stage of resurgence as Boston, but it will surely get there. The most obvious sign of an upswing in full force will be skyrocketing housing costs.

Philly will soon surpass Boston in Tourism

Its interesting to see what people's observations are. As someone who has lived in both places I look at them as very similar, but extremly different at the same time. I also look at them as 2 cities that are essentially competing for the same kinds of tourists. Boston previously had the upperhand as it had less economic and reputation recovery to overcome, but now I notice that Philadelphia seems to be on their tail and ready to surpass as it has more authenticity and diversity to offer. ( in my opinion) I was however just in Boston last weekend and took note as to how commercial and mainstream it has become. In my opinion a negative but the positives could be how clean and safe it is.

Boston is more elegant, clean, and safe.

Philly has the more urban feel, MUCH bigger in size- although if Boston included all the suburbs, I bet they'd be close in population.

Ive heard alot of complaints about the SEPTA trains in Philly-

Both have ALOT of US History

I think that when you compare the two its important to understand what someone means when they say philly. Center City is what they mean, and I think that CC is just as elegant, and just about as safe and clean as central boston. Septa subway system is nowhere near the T, but septa commuter rail system is equal to bostons. I think boston has better shopping but philadelphia has better dining. I also think philadelphia is a much more interesting place to walk around as each part of the city has a different look and feel wheras boston is pretty much the same with a few exceptions.

I think that when you compare the two its important to understand what someone means when they say philly. Center City is what they mean, and I think that CC is just as elegant, and just about as safe and clean as central boston. Septa subway system is nowhere near the T, but septa commuter rail system is equal to bostons. I think boston has better shopping but philadelphia has better dining. I also think philadelphia is a much more interesting place to walk around as each part of the city has a different look and feel wheras boston is pretty much the same with a few exceptions.

I think that when we are talking about tourism we usually are only thinking of the core of any given city. "I walked all over Boston" means I walked from the North End to the Back Bay. When people tell me how Boston is a walking city, I joke about walking from Charlestown to Hyde Park. "I've been all around New York," without ever leaving Manhattan. It is always good to get a tour from a resident when visiting anywhere if you want to see more than the average tourist.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say Boston And Phila are both similar in that they are both colonial cities. The difference is that while Boston became a major seaport, a major immigration hub, and a transportation hub, Phila neglected it's qualities, and that's why the two cities are completely differently. If Phila still had it's commuter rail system reaching all parts of SE PA, a subway system reaching all parts like Boston, and a major immigration center, it would give Boston a run for it's money!!! :thumbsup:

I don't know about the connection between North and South Stations in Boston, but Boston has the better commuter rail and subway system than Philadelphia. I wouldn't even worry about the connection of North and South Stations. The MBTA commuter rail system connects all of the major satellite cities in Greater Boston (the expansions to Fall River, New Bedford, and hopefully to NH will increase it's worthiness) and the subway system is able to reach all parts of the city, while Phila's subway system doesn't cover most of the neighborhoods and the commuter rail is nothing more of a shell of itself. :( It used to have service to West Chester, the Lehigh Valley, Reading, Lancaster, and all points in South Jersey, but there's no service in South Jersey, and the commuter rail system was shortened. It's a shame because we used to have the third largest mass transit system in America behind only NYC and Chicago. :angry:

I don't know about the connection between North and South Stations in Boston, but Boston has the better commuter rail and subway system than Philadelphia. I wouldn't even worry about the connection of North and South Stations. The MBTA commuter rail system connects all of the major satellite cities in Greater Boston (the expansions to Fall River, New Bedford, and hopefully to NH will increase it's worthiness) and the subway system is able to reach all parts of the city, while Phila's subway system doesn't cover most of the neighborhoods and the commuter rail is nothing more of a shell of itself. :( It used to have service to West Chester, the Lehigh Valley, Reading, Lancaster, and all points in South Jersey, but there's no service in South Jersey, and the commuter rail system was shortened. It's a shame because we used to have the third largest mass transit system in America behind only NYC and Chicago. :angry:

That's a shame. Doesn't NJTransit run trains for the Jersey sections though, like through Camden and Trenton and out to Atlantic City?

I wouldn't give Boston's system too much credit. It's a great system, especially the easily accessible commuter rail, but the subway system still leaves much of the city uncovered, particularly south central sections between the orange line and the red line.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with many of you on these things as it relates to public transportation. As someone who lived in central boston and central philadelphia, public trasport played a different role in each city. In Boston I used to T to get around often, but sometimes felt like it was a waste of time. For example to go from Hynes to park street isnt very far, just takes too much time to walk when you are in a hurry. In philly, I got a bike, partially because its hard to get to many places in CC on a train, and I didnt feel like figuring out the busses and or stading on the street waiting. I loved the bike, it allowed for tons of freedom and speed that in my opinion surpasses any subway system. Looking back I wished I would have thought about a bike to get around boston, because I wouldnt have ridden the T. As far as getting around the Philadelphia Metro area, the regional rail is great. Not only does it serve subway like by going to out areas of the city proper, but it goes into the suburbs and even connect to NJ trasit for a cheap alternative to NYC. Just my thoughts..

What do people think about the bar and restaurant scene? I always found bostons nightlife scene to be a bit boiring compared to Phillys. But then again, I always hung out at TC's off of Mass Ave. ha Anymore thoughts about the two...

Archived