Charlotte VS Jacksonville VS Nashville

ncguy06

Which city has the best chance to become the next "big city" of the south, these seem to be the top 3 choices, now what do you think and why??  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Which city has the best chance to become the next "big city" of the south, these seem to be the top 3 choices, now what do you think and why??

• Charlotte
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville

I know there's a NASCAR racetrack in Wilson County, but that shouldn't count for Nashville.  (Not that I have anything against NASCAR.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

well it is still called the nashville superspeedway. there was just no place in nashville to put it. those tracks get quite noisy. just ask the people that live around the fairgrounds.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think NASCAR is a great sport. Its much more than a few millionare thugs that belong to a corporation that go around and rape the local taxpayers for arenas that cost upwards of 1/2 billion dollars these days. Its players don't get in trouble with the law, are not on national rape trials, and for the most part are still very involved in the local communities they live in. There are no steriods or other illegal drugs

and its drivers don't get constantly locked up for DWIs and other issues.

Instead NASCAR is something that anyone can go enjoy for very little money. Venues such as the Charlote Motor Speedway (aka Lowes) that can hold 250,000 people were built completely without any taxpayer money. It is truely a community sport. Something the NHL, NBA, NFL and the MLB have all abandoned for greed. Why isn't there a hockey season this year?

When was the last time you have heard of a riot between players and fans such as the one that happend with Detroit, at a NASCAR race? Answer it doesn't. you can take your family to a NASCAR race and not worry about exposing your kids to things they shouldn't see. No wonder so many cities are trying to duplicate what we have here in Charlotte.

The Charlotte area is very fortunate to be the defacto home of NASCAR.

I know there's a NASCAR racetrack in Wilson County, but that shouldn't count for Nashville.  (Not that I have anything against NASCAR.)

Well, for that matter, Lowes Motor Speedway in Charlotte isn't *technically* in Charlotte as it's across the county line in Cabarrus County, north of Mecklenburg County.

well it is still called the nashville superspeedway. there was just no place in nashville to put it. those tracks get quite noisy. just ask the people that live around the fairgrounds.

I work ~.6 miles from the first set of bleacher seating for the Charlotte speedway and I can attest that it does get rather noisy. Many times of the years all day long it's noisy, regardless if a race is going on or not. I don't follow NASCAR much but I assume that all of that noise comes from all the teams in the areas bringing their cars over to test and practice as well as the speedway's deal where you can pay to take a ride around the track.

you can take your  family to a NASCAR race and not worry about exposing your kids to things they shouldn't see.

That's debatable. I remember someone I work with telling me a story of how they caught a couple having sex in their car while waiting to get out of the parking lot due to traffic. I've also heard of flashing going on and of course you have the drunken big belly types that make the entire experience unenjoyable at best.

I think being the capital adds a lot to Nashville. Look at the State Capitol--it's beautiful (I believe it actually began the trend of Greek revival style in Nashville), and if Nashville wasn't the capital it wouldn't be there. Also, the Bicentennial Mall is something to be proud of. Sure, these things don't attract much national attention, but they do serve to increase the quality of life for the residents.

I think being the capital adds a lot to Nashville.  Look at the State Capitol--it's beautiful (I believe it actually began the trend of Greek revival style in Nashville), and if Nashville wasn't the capital it wouldn't be there.  Also, the Bicentennial Mall is something to be proud of.  Sure, these things don't attract much national attention, but they do serve to increase the quality of life for the residents.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also think of the thousands of jobs and millions of dollars in economic development...

You Charlotte people need to get real. You couldn't even get the ACC Football Championship game and Charlotte is in ACC country. Give it up! Jacksonville is passing you and it's quite apparent. No disrespect to Charlotte b/c it's a nice city but let's be real here. Also the none Charlotte can't touch Jacksonville in terms of the sheer number of good looking women of all races (Hispanic (not just Mexican as it is in Charlotte, white, black, asian). But it's like that all over Florida so there you go.

Sports do not make a city good or bad. Particularly bowl games a things that don't have anything to do with the size of a city. I really can't see any point on comparing one city to another based on this. The only possible relevence is a city's ability to sustain a professional home team.

I disagree with spartan, Sports doesnt make a city it helps a city get made. Atlanta is my example if atlanta didn't build the Dome and have the superbowls and final four and also the olympics it would not be were it is now. That why nashville should have builded a dome........

I disagree with spartan, Sports doesnt make a city it helps a city get made. Atlanta is my example if atlanta didn't build the Dome and have the superbowls and final four and also the olympics it would not be were it is now. That why nashville should have builded a dome........

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you on the point about Atlanta, but Spartan does have a point as well. There are examples where cities have bowl games and their growth still is unimpressive or non-related to the games. The Liberty Bowl is played in...good grief, I can't even remember the name of the city! One bowl game is played in Boise, Idaho. Boise is growing somewhat, but I can assure you that it has nothing to do with their bowl game...I believe their growth is more from the technology industry.

Jax landing the Super Bowl has already landed several hotel-building projects around Riverside and corporation CEOs have complemented the city greatly for its resources. Some have said that they might consider relocating there. So in a way, both of you are correct! I think the sports events are tied in to growth, but it REALLY depends on how the city and its leaders market and present it. If there is a poor presentation, a bowl game or other event won't help the city in a significant way.

I see sports as nothing more just good advertisement for a city. Hosting an event cannot make up for quality of life, school systems, cost of living, etc.... While the one time a year events (bowls, tounaments) may be more glamorous, I think coporations would rather be in a place that has teams, so they can get company season tickets, have skyboxes to smhooze clients.

I see sports as nothing more just good advertisement for a city. Hosting an event cannot make up for quality of life, school systems, cost of living, etc.... While the one time a year events (bowls, tounaments) may be  more glamorous, I think coporations would rather be in a place that has teams, so they can get company season tickets, have skyboxes to smhooze clients.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sports are more than good advertisement. They add to the region's quality of life and entertainment offerings, just like museums, parks, restaurants, movie theaters and bars do. Plus, most big time sporting events come to cities that already have professional teams.

sports teams are like weight loss pills. cities are trying to find shortcuts instead of doing what they know they should do. I think we should all concentrate on making great cities with educated citizens. That will attract business more than anything else. You make a great city and sports teams and events will be clamoring to come to you, not the other way around.

Archived