Charlotte VS Jacksonville VS Nashville

ncguy06

Which city has the best chance to become the next "big city" of the south, these seem to be the top 3 choices, now what do you think and why??  

275 members have voted

1. 1. Which city has the best chance to become the next "big city" of the south, these seem to be the top 3 choices, now what do you think and why??

• Charlotte
    • Jacksonville
    • Nashville

I agree with those points, as well, although I'd have to see more of Charlotte's neighborhoods to see if they're the same size and scale as Jax's older hoods.

While downtown Jax certainly has all the potential in the world and is finally cashing in on it, Uptown Charlotte is certainly ahead, in positioning its self as a 24 hour district, because it has a 10 year head start. Being the music city and a tourist destination, I'd also assume that downtown Nashville probably has more nightlife than Uptown & downtown Jax combined. So its probably the closest one to having a 24/7 downtown. So yes, this is definately an apples to oranges to bananas comparison.

Because of the city layouts, history and growth patterns, I think a much better comparison for Charlotte would be Orlando. Uptown Charlotte, as well as the city in general, reminds me of Orlando and its downtown. Both are two vibrant landlocked cities with a lot going on downtown. Both have also added thousands of residential units over the past couple of years and both excell in certain spots (Orlando - nightlife/ Charlotte - Business center).

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about exposure? Jax had the superbowl but you don't really hear much about Charlotte outside of this forum. Nashville, on the other hand, can be seen on TV everyday in Country Music videos, in entertainment press releases, we can be heard everyday on thousands of raido stations and reach a majority of the U.S and a good chunk of the world's population. Around the world people know Nashville and what comes from here. I don't think you could say that about Charlotte and Jacksonville and exposure and name recognitions are something a big city needs to have.

No doubt that of the three Nashville probably is light years ahead in the night life department. I really need to travel to Nashville one day, I've always liked what I've seen.

By 24 hour city, I mean more along the lines of a dense city core with people living, working, shopping and playing all in the core. Charlotte is well on it's way to the living, working, playing aspect...and we're hopefull that the shopping aspect won't be far behind.

There are currently two proposals that could add some serious retail to downtown that should be started soon.

Anyway, it's nice to have civil debate. I like this here forum.

I'm sorry, but get over all of the SuperBowl stuff. The buzz lasts for about three weeks and then half the country can't even remember what cities the teams were from. Besides, Not many people actually move to a city because it held the Super Bowl or the final four. Especially if it happened ten years ago. What we should look at is economy, night life, livability, and location. Those are what make a city.

Cheronybl has a lot of global name recognition as well. Maybe more than Nashville, but I would not call it a nice liveable vibrant area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right but in general, people know where Nashville is and at least some of what it offers. They are likely to know someone who has been there or even visted themselves. It is definitely something a major city has to have though it certainly doesn't make a city altogehter.

I'm sorry, but get over all of the SuperBowl stuff. The buzz lasts for about three weeks and then half the country can't even remember what cities the teams were from. Besides, Not many people actually move to a city because it held the Super Bowl or the final four. Especially if it happened ten years ago. What we should look at is economy, night life, livability, and location. Those are what make a city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think anyone from Jacksonville is bragging about hosting the Super Bowl.

Nevertheless, ask Tampa and San Diego, if they benefited from hosting the big game, back in the 1980s. Like them, Jacksonville didn't go after the game for name recognition in the public's eye's. It went after the game, because thousands of corporate bigwigs could come to town and it would be a great opportunity to showcase the city's business potential. Needless to say, the economic deals are already cooking.

Previously an area loaded with vacant brick warehouse, the city transformed Bay Street into an entertainment district with the hopes of people seeing its potential to become the next Ybor in Tampa or Gaslamp nightlife district in San Diego. Following the success of the temporary clubs, several deals are underway to open up new bars and restaurants in this once dilapidated area, that was polished up for the big game.

Furthermore, three large hotel chains are now searching for sites to construct locations in downtown. A big reason for this was all of the stories about there not being enough hotel rooms in town and the city bringing in cruise ships for the extra rooms.

In addition, City officials used the game to personally court the area to 20 executives of 5 companies in the aerospacem biomedical, trade, distribution and finance industries. According to an article last week, one of these companies is looking to relocate its corporate headquarters and other is looking at Jax to serve as an Eastern seaboard headquarters. In addition, New England Patriots owner, Bob Kraft, is now interested in expanding shipments of his International Forest Products Corporation through the Port of Jacksonville.

Other improvements made to the city, in preparation for the game, like lighting the downtown bridges, skyscrapers, and extending the riverwalk all the way to Riverside. Now that the game is gone all of these things are remaining for the local population to use.

So although no one is bragging about hosting a Super Bowl, by hosting it, the results are having a direct effect on our local economy, night life and livability.

No doubt that of the three Nashville probably is light years ahead in the night life department. I really need to travel to Nashville one day, I've always liked what I've seen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have always heard that if you go to Nashville, you have to like/appreciate country music. I've never been to Nashville, but I'd like to visit one day.

I voted for Charlotte. I have spent a significant portion of my childhood summers in Jax, and considerable time in Charlotte. Jacksonville is booming, and there is no question about that. The growth that I have witnessed first had is amazing. Atlantic Blvd used to be all trees until you hit the intracoastal waterway. Slightly different these days :)

But Charlotte, to me, just has a bigger city feel to its Uptown. Maybe its just the density of buildings... I'm not sure. Jax's downtown area is great. I enjoy San Marco and all that, but downtown has never struck me as a destination quite like Uptown Charlotte. I guess its just ard to explain why I think that way. Now, I will confess I haven't been to Jax very much for leisure recently, so it may very well have changed.

One great thing about both towns is that if you take the interstates through them (77/277 in CLT or 95 in Jax) it provides an excellent view of the core area.

I have always heard that if you go to Nashville, you have to like/appreciate country music. I've never been to Nashville, but I'd like to visit one day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

nah, nashville has a lot more going for it than country music. especially in the nightlife. true, there are several honkeytonks on broadway, but you should see how many other different kinds of clubs there are there and on second avenue. i'd say the honkeytonks are going to be outnumbered 2/1 shortly at the rate these clubs are taking off at.

Interesting discussion. Just as a clarification, Duval County has 840 square miles. The figure 771 excludes the 'independent cities' within the Duval borders.

Unless something happens to B of A or Wachovia, (which is possible), I don't see either Jax or Nashville getting larger than Charlotte. In terms of quality of life, I would pick Jacksonville over Charlotte. I haven't been to Nashville but I have been impressed with what I have read in this forum about it. I also doubt that Davidson County isn't growing.

Actually, it is a mistake to believe that Charlotte's prosperity depends upon just Wachovia & Bank of America (aka. First Union & NCNB). The banks while important, only provide for 10% of the employment in the city and less than 5% in the entire metro. Charlotte is also 6th largest wholesale distribution center in the USA (just behind Chicago) and there are tens of thousands of jobs in manufacturing in everything from Freightliner trucks to Carrier air conditioners.

In addition, Lowes Home Improvement stores just located its gleaming new HQ here bringing 1000s or jobs and IBM and Microsoft have significant operations in Charlotte employing several thousand each.

Their HQ used to be in Wilkesboro, NC.  They decided to go the suburban route in order to grow at their own pace (roughly 8,000 people by 2015)  They are about 1 mile north of the northern border of Mecklenburg County.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right on the route of the proposed North commuter rail line.

Is there NASCAR in Nashville? I know there's a raceway of some type near the fairgrouds, but I don't know if it hosts NASCAR races.

I've never been to Charlotte or Jacksonville, but I might be able to go to Charlotte when I get my license in a few months. Out of the three, I'd most like to visit Charlotte--I like the big city feeling it seems to have and its premier business atmosphere. The BofA tower is something I really want to see. Jacksonville looks nice, but I don't really have a burning desire to go to there. I liked what I saw in the Superbowl, though.

However, Nashville is my favorite city on earth (regardless of its population growth). No amount of dirt anyone throws on the city will change that. Therefore, it gets my vote.

Nashville haven't hosted a final four , super bowl or three major nascar race but we are still in the picture and thats why my vote goes to Nashville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a very good point.

I'll be happy in a city with no NASCAR.  :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My girlfirend and I accidentally went to Concord Mills on race day.... man that was a big mistake. It took about 3 hours to get back to Spartanburg.......

Archived