Tampa Development Thread

bobliocatt

I have seem the rendering and propasal listed on various sites for probably two years. The proposal must be stalled waiting for the right financing and time. I think because it's purpose would be office space it is being delayed. There is no room for it on the market currently. That building would be a great addition to the skyline. It even looks better than the Trump tower.

What about the Hillsborough River Tower? No one's mentioned it yet, but it's the second tallest approved building. I can't post the darn picture but here's the link anyways.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=102387

It's six hundred feet tall and has to be one of the most beautiful towers I've ever seen. It is sooo cool. Check it out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some believe this proposal is dead. Anyway it won't be happening anytime soon, because the downtown market already has more than enough leasible office space.

• 2 weeks later...

What about the Hillsborough River Tower? No one's mentioned it yet, but it's the second tallest approved building. I can't post the darn picture but here's the link anyways.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=102387

It's six hundred feet tall and has to be one of the most beautiful towers I've ever seen. It is sooo cool. Check it out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its the fact they dont have enough leases yet because downtown has plenty of office space and most people work outside of downtown but this is also a tower id like to see built

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

There is a very interesting article in the Tampa Tribune today, Jan 27th. Definitely worth a read.

Basically talking about the slowdown in the sales and resales of the condos in downtown Tampa and how the market has been changing for the investors. They also mention the slow pace that retail is taking to come into some of the areas because even though many units are sold, there is nobody living in them.

http://www.tampatrib.com/MGB089OZXIE.html

Here's the full article:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anybody Home?

By SHANNON BEHNKEN [email protected]

Published: Jan 27, 2006

TAMPA - Lance Ponton Jr. was a condo developer's dream.

In September 2004, he put down 10 percent deposits on five Harbour Island condominiums before they were even built. Ponton, 27, hoped to sell them for a big profit as soon as the building was finished and his deals closed.

"But when it was done, we found that everyone else in the building was doing the same thing," Ponton said.

He ended up having to make thousands of dollars in mortgage payments for 10 months on all five condos in the ParkCrest Harbour Island. Eventually, he sold four units, pocketing $50,000 to $100,000 on each. With one more unit left to sell, Ponton hopes he can slip out of condo investing before he loses money.

"The market was really good, but it has changed, and it's time to move on to the next hot thing," Ponton said.

As Ponton has learned, rising mortgage interest rates, a swelling inventory of new condos and growing skepticism among buyers about prospects for fast profits have triggered a slowdown in the condo resale market downtown.

Indeed, real estate investors such as Ponton are finding that the days of selling units, or "flipping" contracts on pre-construction condos within hours or days, are over, especially downtown. It's taking months, or longer, to find buyers, and some sellers are having to lower their asking prices, according to sales data and real estate agents who specialize in new condo sales.

That could spell trouble not only for condo owners hoping to turn over their units quickly, but also for developers. More than 30 condo projects are in development in and around the city. Most builders are still getting permits, trying to attract buyers and lining up financing, rather than breaking ground.

Many condo developers have relied heavily on investors to raise enough start-up money to persuade lenders to finance their projects. With short-term investors shifting from urban condos, developers now must market more to people who want to live in their buildings or hold units as long-term investments. It's a tougher sell.

Compounding the problem are completed condo towers that sit half-empty, despite strong sales.

Some condo buildings that sold out during construction have few full-time residents. The reason: Many units were purchased by investors looking to resell or by people buying a second home, property records and interviews with owners show.

The dearth of full-time residents has made it difficult to attract shops and other tenants in the buildings. Some potential buyers are turned off by buildings that aren't lively, said Jason O'Neil, of Palermo Real Estate Professionals in Tampa.

"It's more difficult to attract end users right now," O'Neil said, referring to buyers who plan to live in the units full time. "It's not impossible, though, and I think it will level off as investors sell."

Take the 18-story Parkside of One Bayshore, across from Publix Supermarket at Platt Street and Bayshore Boulevard. Its 104 units sold out during construction, but almost nine months after it opened, fewer than 20 percent of the owners have filed for a Florida homestead exemption, a property tax exemption granted on primary residences.

Companies or trustees own a dozen units, property records show. The lack of primary residents and corporate ownership indicate that many owners don't live in the building, said Warren Weathers, chief deputy property appraiser at the Hillsborough County Property Appraiser's Office.

"If you have under 50 percent homestead in a building, it's usually heavily investor-owned," Weathers said. "Only time will tell if those units are sold to end users. In the meantime, we'll probably see a lot of renters."

Retail Not Rushing In

The lack of primary residents appears to be affecting marketing retail space in the Parskide building. None of the 11,500 square feet of retail space has been leased.

Byron Moger, of the commercial real estate firm Cushman & Wakefield, is confident that retail space in the condo high-rises will be leased. "It's just a matter of getting enough people downtown to support it."

Still, the lack of retail is an annoyance to high-rise residents such as Maryanne Piplica, who came downtown for an urban lifestyle. She and her husband bought a corner unit on the 18th floor of Parkside of One Bayshore.

Piplica, who grew up in New York, said she and her husband traded in suburban life in Palm Harbor hoping to find a lively lifestyle. With her children grown, she looks forward to walking to everything she needs.

"I was hoping for a Starbucks, a bistro-type restaurant, a small gourmet shop," she said of the empty retail space in her building. "I want to see museums and galleries and shops downtown ... things to be open after 5 p.m."

Rising mortgage rates and other factors have played a role in cooling the real estate market overall. Pair higher interest rates with escalating home prices, and some parts of Florida are at risk of an oversaturated condo market, said Bill Hudnut, senior resident fellow at the Urban Land Institute in Washington. He thinks Tampa, thanks to expected population and job growth, should fare better than other markets.

O'Neil, the Realtor who specializes in condo sales, said investors will be able to resell their units, but it will take longer and profits will be lower.

"People get conditioned to thinking things are going to sell in days, and that's just not happening anymore," he said. "Prices, too, will level out, but they will still be good."

A look at three recent condo developments - ParkCrest Harbour Island, Parkside of One Bayshore and Victory Lofts - highlights the strong investor activity in Tampa. Each has had high resales since opening, with a number of units for sale now.

Some investors in these and other buildings made a lot of money, but selling isn't as easy as it used to be. One condo in the Parkside tower has been on the market for 275 days. Another at ParkCrest: 260 days.

No one collects data on the average days condominiums are on the market, but real estate agents say that there is a slowdown and that they are no longer are seeing condo contracts flipped before final settlement.

Units that used to sell within days are taking months, said Kristen Myer, an agent with Smith & Associates, which is working with developers to sell units in several condo projects.

"Investors are dropping out, and that changes the way we have to market condos," Myer said.

Just six months ago, developers didn't have to advertise because investors tracked down new projects and were more than willing to buy, she said. Now, developers have to target potential full-time residents and compete with many other developers for buyers, Myer said.

More Plans To Build

Despite signs the downtown condo market is slowing, developers continue to come forward with proposals.

Crescent Resources plans to break ground in March on a 26-story building with 130 units next door to Parkside, which it also built, said Jim Walters, a real estate agent representing the projects. Crescent also has plans for two more condo buildings in the same area, he said.

Some developers of other downtown condos have restricted investor buying at the request of banks and other lenders, Walters said.

Developers such as Ken Stoltenberg, of Mercury Advisors in Tampa, say the company discourages investors from buying units because they end up competing for buyers of unsold new units.

Crescent Resources welcomes investors.

"I don't know why you would want to control the investment markets so much," Walters said. "The developer makes their money, and an end user ends up there anyway."

As far as Parkside's empty feeling, residents should be patient, he said. When the other buildings are built and more people move in, he said, restaurants and shops will follow.

Some investors are worried.

Jason Barrett, a resident in Parkside, said he is on a list of potential buyers for some condo projects. Developers use potential-buyer lists to justify their projects to city officials or banks. Some of the lists are a year or more old, Barrett said, and the names were collected when the market was much different.

He won't be buying any more condos, he said. Barrett had luck with one condo in Parkside and plans to sell his current unit in four to five years. But he had to lower his price to compete with other sellers in his building.

To Barrett, evidence that the condo market is no longer a good investment can be found at Parkside. He notes that about 40 condos were for sale when he sold his unit last summer. Many of his neighbors use their condos a few times a month, and some use it strictly as a place to party on the weekends.

Barrett, who also owns a condo in Sarasota and a condo/hotel unit on Anna Maria Island, hopes to sell those soon.

"I'm spread thin now and that's not a comfortable situation," he said.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I read the article this morning and thought it was very funny. Things are turning out the way I figured they would. Everyone gets all excited over these projects, including developers and what happens. The units are all sold to investors who have to compete with each other for buyers. What they end up doing in the process is driving up the prices by buying low and selling high. In turn the next development comes in with a higher price tag. Basically what the investors are doing is forcing people out of the market and they will end up getting stuck with them.

I was looking online and the Meridian has quite a few resales. Who would want to seriously spend over $400,000 for a 1 bedroom loft. Seriously. For that much I could buy some land and build a dream house in east hillsborough or polk county. I'm all for these projects but they're being sabatoged by these 'investors'. They're killing the retail aspect because no ones going to put retail in a building that's not even 1/4 full. I would hope developers would do something to put a stop to this but they don't care as long as they get their money. I have to laugh though, these people almost act like they want you to feel sorry for them. I sure as hell don't. You got what you paid for and now you're stuck with it. When they try to offload one of their condo's at a more realistic price... then i'll look at buying one. Until then it's a commuters life for me.

I have lived in Tampa for 26 years and have spent a lot of time downtown at all hours due to my work responsibilities. I have spent more time down there than most people ever have. Not just during the daytime and then home to the suburbs. But also I have been there at night and on weekends including Saturday and Sunday's all day.

While I am excited about all these condo projects SUDDENLY coming on the scene, I am also very skeptical that Tampa will become a hot "Urban" area. I would possibly invest and get out but I would never pay these exorbitant inflated prices and plan to make a profit over the long haul. In fact I look for some "gloom and doom" years ahead with multiple foreclosures.

IMHO there is just too much wrong with downtown Tampa to make it a viable cultural hot spot. The biggest thing I see is the way it is laid out. It is hard to get in & out of, hard to get around, and generally cumbersome to navigate. And they'll never spend the billions it would take to rip out all the interstae entrances and exits and level whole areas and start from scratch. For example, Get off the interstate and go to Harbor Island. Sounds easy??? Right??? Go ahead, try it. Its a pain.

This is not to mention the prevalence of the bums that are allowed to congregate in every nook and cranny smelling up places ranging from the Main Library to City Hall. They have rights.... you can't force them out. Downtown has ALWAYS been their haven....their headquarters. The sleazy nearby Greyhoud Bus station seems to provide transport for visiting and traveling bums from near and far. Do not think Trump Tower will cause them to go away. Personally, I would not want to walk around there at night or have my children at risk.

Next, lets talk about the beautiful views we have in the downtown and some of the Bayshore areas. AHHHH yes, sunrise over the nearby industrialized phosphate plants and ports over East Tampa. Now lets look West at the beautifull sunsets over........south Tampa neighborhoods and trees. And if you are really lucky you can take a stroll along the Hillsborough River with all its gory pollution and clouded dark waters. Why have I never seen anyone swimming in there over all these years? Yechh. You'll have to navigate its banks inland and back to continue your stroll.

Shall we go to the Florida Aquarium? Perhaps it will bring the awesome urban culture we seek. Sorry folks. Let me ask some of you Tampa residents. How many times have you been to the Aquarium? Why haven't you been more. The answrs are clear. The aquarium is basically a failure. Perhaps it is about as popular as MOSI but I kinda like MOSI better. It is a big YAWN.

Folks, do not make the mistake of comparing us to NYC or Chicago or San Antonio. We are downtown Tampa and downtown Tampa has never had much going for it except the SPT Forum and occasionally the money losing Performing Arts Center (both of which are hard to navigate to.) I just can't see it being a good place to live for $500,000 to over a million plus in some of these places in downtown Tampa.

Lets not forget the earlier pioneers who had visions of an urban downtown. Remember Harbor Island Shops???? Gone! Remember the greatly expensive monorail? Torn down, a complete failure that no one rode. And remember when the rich people of Seddon Cove paid $425,000 for their nice condos back in the 80's on Harbor Island, the first real luxury ones that were built? I do. For well over a decade they were at a loss. Values plumeted and stayed that way for a long time. And what about the expensive Trolley downtown? Is it a success? I am hearing that it is just so, so. Not as popular as the creators had hoped. What happened to the myriad of restaurants and shops that have opened and closed on Franklin Street. Gone. No business, no night life, no culture, no action.

I would not say any of the above about downtown St. Pete. It has the right mix, the right views, the right access, beter parking and is booming as a result. It will be a greater success than Tampa as I see it.

I do not mean to offend. I am no expert and I could be totally wrong in the years ahead. These are just my observations as one who has been here a while.

I'm glad someone to see someone finally speak some truth. It's great to see the influx of residential downtown, but downtown tampa as you said is basically a place to go work and leave. The biggest part of the problem is the bums and homeless people. I wouldn't pay 300K or more to live there unless the area was seriously cleaned up. The other day I drove down franklin and past the new Residences at Franklin. Right across the street some other types had setup a residence of their own on the sidewalks. How nice. One area that I think will have a great turn around with the increase in residential is the channel district. While it too is way overpriced, I've been down there quite a few times and it's turning into a decent area. I surely wouldn't pay over 100k though for something that faces the 'beautiful' port of tampa though.

DT Tampa has come quite a ways in the last 5 years IMO and I feel like they(city leaders and developers) are generally heading in the right direction....change takes time though. I agree w/ your view on St.Pete, their DT is set-up nicely and seem to have set the standard for Tampa (and Clearwater) to follow.

I've had an interesting development in the Condo conversion of my apartment complex.

I am currently living in the Westshore area at Melrose Courtyards which was announced in December to be converting to condos. The initial offer to the residents for the 1 bedroom unit such as mine was $169,000. At that price and less than 700 ft, I felt my option was easy, I'd look for a house in the spring. Just too much for 1 bedroom.

In January we received letters our units were being reduced to $155k. Interesting but not enough to change my mind.

Now I have spoken to the realtor who is quoting me $145k and the sign in front now says $135k.

Very nice units, all concrete block construction, lovely courtyard and pool area. But I'm surprised by the cuts. I know the condo market will be hurting very soon due to the flippers overbuying, but didn't expect to see cuts so rapidly in my own place so quickly.

Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced rapid reductions yet in the Tampa Condo or general market?

While I am excited about all these condo projects SUDDENLY coming on the scene, I am also very skeptical that Tampa will become a hot "Urban" area. IMHO there is just too much wrong with downtown Tampa to make it a viable cultural hot spot. I would not say any of the above about downtown St. Pete. It has the right mix, the right views, the right access, beter parking and is booming as a result. It will be a greater success than Tampa as I see it.

bayareaw, I took the liberty of assembling a few different quotes of yours. I also grew up in the bay area and moved to Tallahasee in '92, but I travel around the state often and make it to Tampa several times a year. I drove through downtown last week to see all of the new development and other sights. I can see why you are skeptical. I'd love to see downtown Tampa succeed, but they have some serious flaws that must be addressed; ingress/ egress, dilapidated properties, and lack of retail among them. St. Pete is turning out well and I'm very happy to see that.

But St Pete and Tampa are at different places on the timeline. I remember when St Pete had ugly industrial near downtown (the gas plant), no shopping, green benches, no interstate access, an awful reputation - it was dreadful and seems like the only thing going for it was the beautiful waterfront. They have worked very hard over the last two decades (or more) to get where they are and the latest building boom is a culmination of that work; maybe even a catalyst for future development.

On the other hand, 30 years ago Tampa had some commercial development downtown and focused on office and employment development, leaving residential for the suburbs. The need for downtown residential did not really become apparent until the last ten years or so.

Seems to me Tampa has some pretty good things going for it and can get where St Pete is now with some work, and what's happening now is a good start. It'll always be a stretch to compare Tampa to any other big city, but Tampa can create something special in its downtown that is unique to any otehr place in the country. It does not have to be like any place else, but it'll take some leadership and persistence to get there.

I won't be buying a downtown unit for $500,000 any time soon either, but I enjoy watching both downtowns develop and hope they do well.....just my view.

I just saw this article in the St. Pete Times this morning. 2 more condo towers for downtown

TAMPA - Strong demand for condos in the sold-out $31.6-million SkyPoint tower, which will be completed later this year, persuaded its developers to plan two more projects a block away.

The Novare-Intown Tampa Development Co. filed zoning applications this week at City Hall for two towers, each one planned for 34 stories with a combined 805 units. If completed, the three towers would transform an area once reserved for parking lots and billboards into a neighborhood of young professionals.

"Novare Group is extremely pleased with the market acceptance of SkyPoint," John Akin, the lead developer on the project, said in a Tuesday statement.

Apparently Novare-Intown Tampa Development will be erecting two 34 floor condo towers in the general area of Skypoint. While most condo developments that come up are a bit shaky and I think the market in general is a bit shaky, I have to say Novare is probably the ones that will get built. They move fast, as they did with Skypoint, which is already up to the third floor I believe. They are also keeping the prices rather reasonable as they did with skypoint not jacking them up like other condos have done.

In fact I look for some "gloom and doom" years ahead with multiple foreclosures.

Wow, bayareaw, your whole assessment of Tampa was gloom and doom. It's obvious that you don't much care for the area, and take the "glass is half empty" viewpoint on pretty much all things downtown Tampa.

Get off the interstate and go to Harbor Island. Sounds easy??? Right??? Go ahead, try it. Its a pain.

You've gotta be kidding me. I used to live on Harbour Island, and it's a snap (follow Tampa to the end, turn onto Franklin and then cross over the bridge...not too tough).

AHHHH yes, sunrise over the nearby industrialized phosphate plants and ports over East Tampa.

It would be great if there was an unobstructed view all the way to the Gulf, but it's a bay. It's still a large body of water that looks great as the sun dances off it early and later in the day. You don't think they'd kill to have a similar view in downtown Dallas, or Atlanta, or Minneapolis, or Nashville?

We are downtown Tampa and downtown Tampa has never had much going for it except the SPT Forum and occasionally the money losing Performing Arts Center

The Forum is one of the top grossing concert venues in the world. The Lightning are second in the league in attendance. The Performing Arts Center is also one of the top venues in the US in terms of attendance and ticket sales. Not sure where you got your info that it's losing money.

Remember Harbor Island Shops???? Gone! Remember the greatly expensive monorail? Torn down, a complete failure that no one rode. And remember when the rich people of Seddon Cove paid $425,000 for their nice condos back in the 80's on Harbor Island, the first real luxury ones that were built? I do. For well over a decade they were at a loss. Values plumeted and stayed that way for a long time

Sure, these first attempts failed. Why? No one lived downtown. What's different this time around? All the new construction is for residential. The retail / restaurants / clubs will follow. Those people on Harbour Island that kept their condos are undoubtedly happy about it now. I made a very nice profit off of mine after only living there a couple years.

Any body that compares DT Tampa to New York or Chicago is delusional. It will never be close to either of those cities. But it will grow, it will evolve, it will become more populated, interesting, active, and cultural. These changes are already beginning as midrise lofts are replacing boarded up warehouses and hi-rise towers are being built on empty lots. I can guarantee that in five years, the downtown will look and feel very different than it does today.

When I moved to Tampa a couple years ago, the first problem I had with working downtown was that if you didn't eat lunch by 3pm then you had only 2-3 resturants to choose from. And after around 8pm or so, the nearest food is a 10-15 minute drive away. At night, it is not safe to walk around anywhere downtown. Many streets aren't all that well lit, and homeless people (and sometimes drunk people as well) can easily be seen within plain view a block away from Tampa Police headquarters. I can also understand the appearance of an awkward layout and navigation of downtown streets. For one, I hate the Tampa st./Ashley drive split, since there are no traffic control devices to protect the two lanes that merge into Tampa st. And driving through the Tampa to Franklin intersection on your way to Harbour Island is not really intuitive since it looks less like the route to Harbour Island and more like the entrance to the Convention center. (Driving under the Crosstown bridges makes things appear confusing...) If you miss that turn, then the only alternative is to cross over two bridges (a U-turn over the river) and drive around (and back under) the convention center. Also, I have constantly watched drivers cross into the wrong lane when travelling from Scott street through to the I-4 / I-275 onramps. (The fact that they took out a lane from Scott St. for the Ashley onramp doesn't help things either.) And speaking of bad intersections, I have never understood what happened with the design of the Cass/Orange/Pierce/Jefferson/Central/Tyler intersection...

As far as the condo market goes... I have always wondered what end-buyers could afford (and would be willing to pay) such prices for what appear to be glorified apartments (many of them start off at less than 1000 sq.ft.), and where do these people work. I know that a large number of people that buy those condos do so with the expectation that they will sell it at a major profit a couple years later. It is sad to see that culminate in a brand new condo tower with only about 20% actual occupancy. I know that the market can't indefinitely support $200k-$400k condos all up and down Channelside, in addition to all of the $200k-$400k+ new homes going up all over the bay area. I would assume that eventually it will get to the point where people will not want to pay the huge prices, and investors will have to start selling at a loss, or these investors will actually have to live in their condos (instead of renting them out or just holding on to them).

• 1 month later...

"And remember when the rich people of Seddon Cove paid $425,000 for their nice condos back in the 80's on Harbor Island, the first real luxury ones that were built? I do. For well over a decade they were at a loss. Values plumeted and stayed that way for a long time."

These same condos are now selling for over $700,000. I actually live on Harbour Island, and getting there off the Interstate is as easy as pie (only one turn when coming off the downtown W exit). And EVERY big northeastern urban downtown has "bums". Even in Toronto, where I'm from. I lived in Philadelphia for 13 years (well 86 to 90 were in the suburbs), and watched it change from an evening ghost town/dump/homeless haven in the 80's and early 90's, to a hip, alive, night time urban center. By the late 90's people were travelling from the suburbs, to hang out downtown at night. The change came by bringing the nightlife to the downtown area first, not by introducing a bunch of overpriced condos... that came last (after I left). Tampa's doing it back asswards.

hjack

• 1 month later...

Downtown Area

Trump Tower Tampa

603feet+... 52 stories

221 unit condo tower

Sold out... U/C (foundation)

www.trumptowertampa.com

Art Center Lofts - Recently completed

5 story lofts with 50 units or so

DT Embassy Suites... 23 stories, 373 rooms...

U/C (14th floor)

Residences at Franklin...8 stories, 34 units.

Sold out... U/C (2nd floor)

Skypoint

developed by Novare Group and InTown Development

32 story condo, 381 units...(estimated 360-400ft)

Sold out... U/C (foundation work)

Four Seasons Residences

630feet... 51-stories

472-unit condo tower...Includes ~18k retail

DEAD

The Plaza at Harbour Island

3 X 20-story condos featuring 360 total units and ground level retail.

Developer claims first tower nearly sold out... Construction imminent

The first tower... Unsure if others will bear a similar look.

Park Crest at Harbour Island - 9-stories -

Nearly Complete

http://www.parkcrestharbourisland.com/files/home.htm

New Tampa Museum of Art - In complete dissarray, with a new deisgn being sought. This is back at square one.

The previous design, which cost $7million, and is now in the trash.

Tampa Bay History Center - All funding in place. Some preliminary site work has taken place. Construction to begin some time this year

The Heights (joint venture project between Band of America, and a consortium of local developers)

Some recent descriptions of the project from the Tampa Tribune...

Quote:

The Heights - the 40-acre, $500 million project that plans to bring condominiums, town houses, lofts, restaurants, a grocery store...

The Heights project will cover North Boulevard, Ross Avenue, Tampa Street and the Hillsborough River. There are 1,600 to 2,100 units planned; 10 percent of the units will be set aside for affordable housing...

Developers hope the city will approve the rezoning this summer. Construction is expected to start 18 months after that.

Denholtz Residential Towers - Three 16 story towers - 393 units

Appears dead at this time...

no rendering avaiable

The Arlington - 2stories -21 units

U/C (historic renovation)

no rendering avaiable

USF Health South at TGH

7 stories at TGH/Davis Island

Construction Begins April 2006

Comprehensive speciality care and headquarters for in-patient medical and resident learning.

compiled by youngkg

Downtown: Channelside District

Pinnacle Place - 624ft observation tower - 2 X 41 story condominium towers, 8 story hotel

The development will include a 4,000 seat amphitheater, 400 room hotel, 70k sqft of retail, 150k sqft of

office space and 400 total residential units.

Approved and in sales. Demolition completed. In permitting.

Appears that the components other than the condo towers are being redesigned and will not include the obs deck.

Obs deck reportedly dead.

Latest rendering. The condo phase is named "O2 Condominiums"...

Tampa Global Communication Teleconvergence Center- 45 stories - 550ft -

400 hotel rooms, 182 condo units. The project also includes retail and a large conference center.

Hotel and condo concierge services will be managed by Mandarin oriental Hotels. Approved/Financing secured. Construction claimed to begin by April 2006.

The Crecent Heights Channelside - three 29 story mixed use condo/retail towers - 870 units.

DEAD... Property for sale by Smith and Associates.

Downtown Channelside - Twin 30 story towers - 310ft - 250 units - 40k sqft of retail... Approved.

Towers At Channelside

Twin 30 story condo towers- 360ft - 260 units, 35k sqft of retail...

Approved and reportedly sold out...

U/C (foundation)

The Plaza at Channelside - 38 story condo tower with retail base - 251 units

Approved

Ventana Condos - twin 11 story towers. 96 units and 14k sqft of retail.

U/C (foundation)

The Meridian - 6 stories - 35 units - U/C (nearly completed)

Grand Central at Kennedy - 14 and 12 story towers - 496 units - 125k sqft retail - 70k sqft office -

Almost sold out - U/C... (foundation and 1st floor)

Seaport Channelside - multiple 6 story buildings - Mixed use -

418 rental apartments and 10,000sqft ground floor retail

Site being cleared and prepped...

Construction to start this fall, with occupancy beginning Sept 2006

no rendering avaiable

Seaboard Square - Several buildings to be built in multiple phases-

6,8,14,14 stories - 371 condominium and lofts units, over retail bases - 200 room hotel

Site demolition under way

no rendering avaiable

Lafayette Lofts - 6 stories - 30 units

Approved

no rendering avaiable

Channelside Bldg LTD. Project (name unknown) - 10 stories - 84 units

Status unknown

no rendering avaiable

Victory Lofts - 89 units - 4 and 7 story buildings

Recently Completed

1000 Channelside, 4 stories 15 lofts - 5 office suites

U/C (3rd story)

The Place at Channelside - 2 x 8 stories - 259 units

Nearly sold out...

Demolition underway

12th Street Townhomes - 2 stories- 26 units

Proposed

no rendering available

Westshore area of Tampa

Tampa Bay One

Two 15 story office buildings, 21 story Hotel/Condo - approved.

On hold. waiting for big tenant

Corporate center Three - recently complete

10-story office building near International Plaza

On a side note, the same developer plans to consecutively build two more 10 story office towers across

the street (Cornerstone Plaza). They are seeking tenants now.

Oasis Rocky Point

U/C (site work)

Rocky Point Westin 12-story 200 rooms

and the Oasis 14-story, 108 condo units

Bayshore and South Tampa

One Bayshore- the rendering is the 17-story condo building, but there is also , townhouses and

ground retail - Condo U/C (nearly complete)

There is also an adjacent which will be smaller, but a bit taller. It has been approved for 26 stories, though the proposal may be revised.

Citivest 19 stories.

Recently approved via lawsuit mediation between city and developer

Here is the location

Bellamy 23-story Condo

Sold Out...U/C (nearly topped out)

The Alagon... 24 stories.

Sold Out...U/C (nearly topped out)

Valencia Hyde PArk

THE VALENCIA'S SEVEN-STORY CONDOMINIUM BUILDING WILL FEATURE SUPERB CRAFTSMANSHIP AND UNCOMMON QUALITY. (I don't vouch for the representations other than it is going to be 7 stories and allegedly starting before the end of the year)

FIVE NEWLY CONSTRUCTED, THREE-STORY TOWNHOMES WILL COMPLETE THIS EXCLUSIVE ENCLAVE. (same caveat - except this will obviously not be 7 stories)

17 SkyPoint 2 (Approved)

34 Stories

396 Units

18 Skypoint 3 (Approved)

34 Stories

396 Units

19 Six Ten Franklin (Under Construction)

33 Stories

400+/- Units

20 Residences on Kennedy (Nearing Completion)

10 Stories

20+/- Units

21 Kress Block (Approved)

33 Stories

375 Units

Edited by tampamobster21

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Nimby Group Discusses Bayshore Vision

Skip directly to the full story.

By MICHAEL H. SAMUELS The Tampa Tribune

Published: Aug 26, 2006

SOUTH TAMPA - Bayshore Boulevard conjures visions of a historical, scenic greenway with an open vista and room for recreation.

It also is a crowded major road that is the threatened symbol of Tampa, said about 40 residents, developers and community activists who gathered this week to discuss development along "Tampa's jewel."

"We are here out of fear," Bayshore resident Marilyn Weekley said. "We want to preserve what's left of Bayshore before it becomes a condominium cliff."

City staff presented the group with maps showing land-use and zoning categories for each parcel along the Bayshore corridor. The initial study area is east and south of the Lee Roy Selmon Expressway from Gandy Boulevard to downtown, but it is expected to eventually include just Bayshore.

The meeting Tuesday at the Kate Jackson Community Center stemmed from a number of groups protesting Bayshore development or other issues to the city. It was a way to get them together to reach consensus, said Vicki Pollyea, president of the Bayshore Gardens Neighborhood Association.

"I'm hoping people are going to work together," Pollyea said. "We have to recognize builders' rights and work to protect this treasure."

She wants the group to talk about setbacks, height restrictions, maintaining single-family homes and wholesale improvements as opposed to single topics such as a disputed emergency generator enclosure in the median outside the Monte Carlo condominium tower.

Harry Lee Coe IV, a Bayshore Overlay District committee member, said an overlay district is the proper middle ground for guiding development. The committee proposes a minimum 40-foot front yard setback and a maximum height of 120 feet for condominium towers.

"This is really about addressing the corridor through the [city's comprehensive] plan," Coe said. "We need to stick with the existing laws and rules in place until that time."

Tim Powell, a developer's representative, said creating an overlay district throughout the corridor is unrealistic because there are too many competing interests.

"We already have good, sound and established neighborhood policies in those areas," he said.

Pollyea said her neighborhood has fought as many as four condo tower projects in the past two years, with each seeking waivers for extra height or other variances.

"It should not be the neighborhoods always fighting these battles," Pollyea said. "The zoning code should."

City staff will report to the city council Oct. 19.

http://southtampa.tbo.com/southtampa/MGBUCF4YARE.html

:stop::angry:

"People is what drives resturants, entertainment venues and everything else. So, it's not assbackwards to build condos first downtown."

There is more than enough people a stone's throw away from downtown in South Tampa (ie. Harbour Island, Davis Island, Hyde Park, Univ of Tampa) to start creating venues now. The motivation to move to an area is for what is IN that area. You don't move to a dead downtown area in hopes that someday, it might be happening. To do that is called AN INVESTMENT...

hjack