I-95 in SC

krazeeboi

I know interstates are not primarily for recreation, but for the love of God, why is I-95 so BORING as it runs through SC? Except for South of the Border (woo hoo!) and the Santee area, what else is there? Speaking of Santee, that area is laden with so much potential...legend has it that that particular area was a possible location for Disney World back in the day.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look forward to seeing a city on the horizon after a long drive through the middle of nowhere, and when the highway starts to widen and streetlights and overhead signs come into view. Columbia and Charlotte are nice cities to flow into when the roads are clear, although neither are on I-95. :)

I-10 through Texas and Florida is dull. Through Florida it is built straight for many miles at a time, which is hypnotic. We now know that it's good to curve and bank the roads so that motorists don't doze off.

I know interstates are not primarily for recreation, but for the love of God, why is I-95 so BORING as it runs through SC? Except for South of the Border (woo hoo!) and the Santee area, what else is there? Speaking of Santee, that area is laden with so much potential...legend has it that that particular area was a possible location for Disney World back in the day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard the same thing about Disney locating on Santee. The BIGGEST problem I have is that Charleston should have gotten I-95 running not through it, but at least just past it. My hometown would be much different (bigger) if they got I-95. Another legend says that Columbia wanted I-95 too, and since nobody agreed on its location, I-95 was built in between the 2 cities.

I've always thought that a I-95 connector to Charleston should be built. They could call it I-795 or I-726...it would start near the US 17 exit going to Beaufort, or closer to Walterboro, intersect with I-26 in the North area, then go back up to I-95 and intersect with it around Santee.

I-95 is very boring in SC, not gonna lie on this one. Normally i take other roads if im going to MB or Charleston. Avoiding I-95 in general in the east coast is my thing if im not in a rush to get from point A to point B.

Some thoughts with improving access to Charleston

Since I-73 will not run to Charleston originally; US 52 should have bypasses between Cheraw and Moncks Corner for improved travel and less mileage to reach the Charleston area. Only Darlington and to some extent, Moncks Corner have bypasses in SC. The truck routes on the other hand are not really bypasses depending on the town but do function like a bypass to some degree. I-73 original path was to not utilized US 52 (to my knowledge) but to go to Myrtle Beach and hook along 17 south of the grand strand to I-526 i believe.

US 17 needs to be 4 lanes from I-95 to Charleston County of whatever remaining 2 lane segments remain.

I-95 is very boring in SC, not gonna lie on this one. Normally i take other roads if im going to MB or Charleston. Avoiding I-95 in general in the east coast is my thing if im not in a rush to get from point A to point B.

Some thoughts with improving access to Charleston

Since I-73 will not run to Charleston originally; US 52 should have bypasses between Cheraw and Moncks Corner for improved travel and less mileage to reach the Charleston area. Only Darlington and to some extent, Moncks Corner have bypasses in SC. The truck routes on the other hand are not really bypasses depending on the town but do function like a bypass to some degree. I-73 original path was to not utilized US 52 (to my knowledge) but to go to Myrtle Beach and hook along 17 south of the grand strand to I-526 i believe.

US 17 needs to be 4 lanes from I-95 to Charleston County of whatever remaining 2 lane segments remain.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jerseyman, I am a native of Middlesex County, NJ.

The concept of I-795 or I-726 is a good one, but the NIMBYs would have your head for suggesting it :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Steven, I think you're probably right about that! :lol: I'm sure there's a land owner or 2 who would want things to stay the same. Let's not forget the environmental people who would throw up a huge stink about a connector highway such as I-795 or I-726.

I was just thinking, if Walterboro does things right, that could be a nice city to go through on I-95. They are experiencing a boom out there as well. Again, building a connector interstate from there to Charleston would boost it even more!

Jerseyman, I am a native of Middlesex County, NJ.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As am I. I was born in New Brunswick but moved to NC at age 6 and came back to Middlesex County to attend college after HS. As soon as i graduate (hopefully SOON), i plan to return back to NC and go to a 4 year school, preferably NC State or UNC-Charlotte.

I heard Charleston won't let I-73 near it, and why I-20 doesn't go to MB is just stupid too. Is US 17 2 lanes the whole way? It should be interstate quality nonetheless from Savannah, no, Jacksonville to Wilmington. And yes, I-95 is boring, and I-20 in Darlington, Florence, and Lee counties is equally as boring, Kershaw too.

Good point about I-20 and Myrtle Beach. I always wondered why the highway just abruptly stops in Florence and they didn't continue it on to MB. It would certainly make the drive into Myrtle Beach much much easier.

I-95 is boring, so is I-77 between Blythwood and Rock Hill.

I heard Charleston won't let I-73 near it, and why I-20 doesn't go to MB is just stupid too.  Is US 17 2 lanes the whole way?  It should be interstate quality nonetheless from Savannah, no, Jacksonville to Wilmington.  And yes, I-95 is boring, and I-20 in Darlington, Florence, and Lee counties is equally as boring, Kershaw too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The idiocy of some of my hometown's leaders was clearly demonstrated by not allowing I-73 to go there. I think they passed up on a HUGE opportunity...they were saying how Detroit car makers would have a direct route to a port (Charleston) for exporting their cars. How could those leaders make such a stupid decision?!?! :angry:

Good point about I-20 and Myrtle Beach.  I always wondered why the highway just abruptly stops in Florence and they didn't continue it on to MB.  It would certainly make the drive into Myrtle Beach much much easier. 

I-95 is boring, so is I-77 between Blythwood and Rock Hill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I-95 is really boring and I also agree that I-77 between Blythwood and Rock Hill is boring, but I-20 between Columbia and Augusta is really boring, and from Augusta to Atlanta is excrutiatingly boring.

As am I. I was born in New Brunswick but moved to NC at age 6 and came back to Middlesex County to attend college after HS. As soon as i graduate (hopefully SOON), i plan to return back to NC and go to a 4 year school, preferably NC State or UNC-Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. I grew up in South River.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Driving into South Carolina north from Georgia looks like your driving into a subdivision. Its lighted up and has a huge flag pole and a tall gate across both ends of the interstate. The asphalt is new and fresh and it seems as though your entering some metro area a few miles south of Hardeeville..

And then all of a sudden.... its concrete surfaced, tree median bordem for the next 189 miles.

But at least it doesnt compare to I-10 El Paso to San Antonio.

There are even spots where they have intersections with no overpass.

Driving into South Carolina north from Georgia looks like your driving into a subdivision. Its lighted up and has a huge flag pole and a tall gate across both ends of the interstate. The asphalt is new and fresh and it seems as though your entering some metro area a few miles south of Hardeeville.. 

And then all of a sudden.... its concrete surfaced, tree median bordem for the next 189 miles.

But at least it doesnt compare to I-10 El Paso to San Antonio.

There are even spots where they have intersections with no overpass.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't complain about I-95 when you come into SC from Georgia. The trees provide a neat canopy of shade when driving down the corridor.

But I wholeheartedly agree about I-10!! It's actually worse when you drive down I-20 into I-10, from Abilene to El Paso...over 400 miles of nothing! It's not 2 lanes, thank goodness, but there is a good reason why no one lives on that side of Texas.

^ I agree, as for my favorite freeways - they are always the boring ones without any development or billboards. I-16 in GA is an example, we've even considered taking I-16 into central Florida rather than staying on I-75. Additionally, I have taken I-20 & I-77 to get to Rock Hill rather than I-85.

Archived