Revitalization Plan for the Eastside

Charleston native

It's because Charleston got cool. People around the country move here because they hear a lot of buzz about it. What a change! When I was growing up, you didn't move to Charleston unless it was because of a job. That was it. Period. I'm not trying to put down Columbia or Greenville, but I don't think people from around the country know much about those cities yet. At least not in a "Let's pack up and move somewhere cool and far away" sort of way. That seems to be why young people move here (those are the newcomers I mostly meet), but the same probably holds true for older people, especially retirees.

When I was living in NYC, I started talking to someone in a bar about the South. She said she'd heard Asheville and Charleston were cool. And guess what. Both are now boom towns, with a big influx of out-of-staters.

i agree 100% right now chas is WHITE HOT and let's hope it stays that way for quite some time! :thumbsup:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this assessment. I think the ability to afford living in Chas based on the job market is dependent on what your your occupation experience is. In Chas, there are plenty of jobs for people with experience in medicine, IT, and manufacturing/distribution industries. There is also a significant amount of opportunities for people with experience in defense contracting industries. And these jobs pay quite enough for their employees to love there.

To me, Chas offers a quality of life that no other city in SC can offer: coastal living with big city amenities, yet maintaining a small-town atmosphere in some parts. I prefer to drive 15-20 minutes to the beach, rivers, or parks rather than 2-3 hours living in Cola. I sincerely miss the beach, its beauty, and its many recreational offerings while I've lived here. Cola does offer comparable shopping and dining, but my hometown offers higher quality in those areas. The city is not a theme park for vacationing only, and I take issue with that statement. I could say a city like Cola is for business and politics only, but I will avoid harping on that issue.

Many of my once-single friends are marrying and purchasing homes in the old north area, and they have low-paying jobs. It's really a matter of analyzing the pros and cons of living in Chas and figuring out what you can live with.

The number one complaint I hear about Charleston is that it lacks professional jobs. Its not that they don't exist, but it has a stronger mid-range industry, manufacturing/port related, and service industry job base. The exception may be real estate though. That said, I have quite a few friends who have gone to Charleston for a job after college. I think that Charleston's appeal have started to change this trend, but it will still be a while before the situation improves. I know that I would like to work in Charleston after I finish at Clemson, but who knows what types of jobs will be out there once I graduate.

Real estate is an exception, but you're forgetting downtown's top employer: MUSC. The medical and health care industry is huge in Chas. There seems to be an excessive amount of doctors, dentists, and even nurses. I would like to locate down to Chas as well, after I graduate with my masters in health administration. Hospital growth is hot down there, so there will be plenty of job opportunities.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest on the revitalization for the East Side. If I had a few thousand to throw around, I'd surely make an investment there. However, at this point I'm a bit concerned that the city says it wants "the redeveloped area to be a diverse community, built for people of all races and incomes," but that "the details on how to make it happen haven't been put to paper yet." I guess it remains to be seen if the city will make good on this.

Here's a graphic detailing the neighborhood:

grace.gif

• 2 months later...

First of all, I am surprised that nobody has commented on that master plan, including myself.

I think that is an excellent layout. I am glad that Charleston understand urban planning, and is reconnecting those roads and re-establishing the grid system in that area.

But now we might have a potential fight on our hands.... This article in the Post & Courier highlights some of the issues in that area. There is a developer that wants to put an office building in that area, but the problem is that it sits right where they plan to put Grace St. (That old house that use to sit inbetween the bridges)

This should be interesting to follow...

• 4 months later...

The latest from the P&C is that the city is waiting on the transfer of the 80 parcels on the site from the DOT. Also, the city soon will commission a study on the economic feasibility of its redevelopment plan to know for sure what sort of redevelopment is possible. Michael Maher, director of the city's Civic Design Center, says 300-350 housing units may be possible.

• 7 months later...

See if this link works: http://www.charlestonbusiness.com/pub/13_14/news/9775-1.html

Here's a quick rundown of projects mentioned:

• A new Sanders-Clyde elementary school is on target for completion in July 2009, replacing the 1954 school that was recently demolished on East Bay Street at the north end of the neighborhood.

• The renovation of The Cigar Factory at East Bay and Columbus streets into a mixed-use condominium complex.

• The 56-unit One Cool Blow urban loft complex, which recently broke ground and is expected to be complete by March 2008. Prices start at $183,000 for a 745-square-foot loft.

• The city plans an extension of the bicycle and pedestrian path off the Ravenel bridge onto East Bay Street extending to Charlotte Street. The 12-foot-wide path will include trees, benches, a drinking fountain, and a new fence screening the railroad along the SPA’s property.

• 4 weeks later...
Here's a recent article from the P&C about One Cool Blow. The 44 market-rate condos in the development, which range from about 800 to 1,200 square feet and are priced from $240,000 to $340,000, will feature 11-foot ceilings with large windows. All but about 10 of those units have been reserved. The commercial component of One Cool Blow is already full, with a pilates studio and offices for a public relations business, a graphic design company, an architect and an engineering firm.

• 11 months later...

The city of Charleston has negotiated a lease with the S.C. Research Authority for a 28,000-square-foot building at 645 Meeting St., near the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge, which will serve as an incubator for biotech research and business development. The authority also plans to spend up to $5 million to refurbish the former mattress factory building. Charleston City Council still must approve the lease, which is $1 per year for 30 years. In partnership with MUSC, the incubator will focus on biomedical and biopharmaceutical research that could spawn commercial ventures.

• 5 months later...

Archived