Turner South Showcasing Columbia

The_sandlapper

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenville was the focus of "3-Day Weekend" more than a year ago, as well as more than one "Blue Ribbon" and "Southern Living Presents." This should be interesting. It really gives people a chance to glimpse a fraction of things they can do while spending a small amount of time there. :)

Greenville was the focus of "3-Day Weekend" more than a year ago, as well as more than one "Blue Ribbon" and "Southern Living Presents."  This should be interesting.  It really gives people a chance to glimpse a fraction of things they can do while spending a small amount of time there. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The host for Blue Ribbon is from Greenville so we should expect a decent amount of coverage.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it was very good and very complimentary of Columbia. The couple was from Wilmington, NC and I honestly believe when they went hope they had favorable things to say about the city.

Some of the things they did...

Boated and jetskied on Lake Murray

Rode bikes in Harbison forest

Canoed down the river

toured the Horseshoe

went to the Trustus theatre

ate at Divinios in the Vista (loved the food, the woman commented that they were the best scallops she had ever had0

ate at yesterday's in 5 points

Toured some of the historic homes downtown (slave home for example)

went to a Bombers baseball game

went to Riverbanks zoo

toured the State House and its grounds

went to Congaree National Park

I also saw the show the following week in Charleston, and I honestly think the couple in Columbia had a better time. And that was without any USC sporting events!

That's great I was wondering how that turned out? I live in Lexington, KY so we don't get Turnner South here. There is always a wide variety of activities to do in Columbia. The city is very fortunate in that respect. I personally enoy riding my mtn. bike in Harbison State Forest in the afternoon, and partying in the Vista at night!

Sandlapper, I would be interested (as you obviously have first hand knowledge) as to how Columbia and Lexington compare.

I went to a UK / USC football game up there many years ago but did not get to see much of the town...or I just don't remember.

How does the city size and layout compare? The downtown areas in terms of skyscrapers, and buildings in general? Which is nicer IYO? Which has better entertainment options?

And finally, how does the UK campus compare to the USC campus?

Thanks in advance.

Sandlapper, I would be interested (as you obviously have first hand knowledge) as to how Columbia and Lexington compare.

I went to a UK / USC football game up there many years ago but did not get to see much of the town...or I just don't remember.

How does the city size and layout compare?  The downtown areas in terms of skyscrapers, and buildings in general?  Which is nicer IYO?  Which has better entertainment options?

And finally, how does the UK campus compare to the USC campus?

Thanks in advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's funny you should ask that. Both cities have similarities. Columbia is larger than Lexington but not by much. Lexington's CSA is 600,000+, and of course Columbia's is 700,000+.. Lexington IMO is a much prettier city than Columbia, very quainte neighborhoods with alot of neo-colonial style homes as compared to plantation style homes of SC. Lexington as a city is alot more condensed than Columbia. Columbia is alot more spread out, & Cola has a larger skyline. As far as attitudes it's pretty laid back (it's no Berkely or anything) but you know it's a college town. It's fairly diverse not quite as many minorities as Columbia but being a minority one wouldn't fell out of place living there. Downtown Columbia has more to do IMO with two similar entertainment districts where Lexington has only one main area with a few bars and pubs spread throughout the city. USC & UK's campus are mirror images of each other in that they are urban campuses that blend in with there city surroundings. Some people don't like that but I've always been an urban cowboy. As far as other entertainment options Lexington of course has two horse race tracks (Keeneland, and Red Mile), however I give Columbia the edge because of Lake Murray, Congaree Natl. Park, Harbison St. Forest, & Sesqui St. Park. Both cities have several performing arts venues, and art galleries. I will say I love summertime here, there is very little humidity and I think there may have been only a couple of days last summer when I actually had to turn on my air conditioner in mid-afternoon, but when night comes just crack open a window. I like the landscape of Lexington better than Columbia, there's beautiful rolling hills as opposed to pine trees creeping through every crevace but that's just SC I guess? Lexington has a very well educated population as well about 39% of Fayette County holds at least a bachelors degree or higher ranking it #37 nationally, while Richland County has about 37% of it's population with a bachelors degree or higher ranking it #45 nationally according to the census.

Both cities have their similarities but I can appreciate there differences, I hoped this helped.

Archived