Triangle road & traffic thread

uptownliving

I'm glad that NCDOT plans to completely rebuild this interchange as it kinda serves as Raleigh's "front door" for visitors arriving at RDU.

I think it's safe to assume that the 3 thru-lanes will begin well before the Wade Ave split, resulting in 5 lanes in each direction, a new flyover configuration that might not criss-cross back under itself, huge, perfect new signage (who does signage better than NC?), and by laying the foundation for a 4th lane in the future, this could become a huge and impressive interchange.

I hate how they slapped "Wilmington" on the existing diagramatical overhead in smaller type. Perfect signage across the entire state and yet this imperfection at Raleigh's first exit...Glad it will be replaced....

raleighsplit.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This interchange is not only the gateway to Raleigh from RDU: it's the gateway to Raleigh from most of the rest of the state.

However, from what I understand, the flyover configuration will not be changed. The existing bridges will be widened to accommodate 4 lanes each. They have some temporary barriers in place under these bridges now, presumably to prevent dirt, etc from fouling Wade Avenue during the work. The cloverleaf from Wade Avenue to I-40 east will also remain. The scope of the project really is just widening and signage changes.

Looking at the temporary jersey barriers and orange barrels that have been put out over the past week or so, it looks like the 5 lanes will extend as far as one might expect - from the Harrison Avenue exit eastbound, and to the place where the existing 5th lane starts on the left westbound.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know about the construction of the extension of Edwards Mill Road from Trinity Road to NC 54? Last time I went from Cary to Raleigh on NC 54 I noticed that land had been cleared out, but I haven't succeeded in finding anything on the project and if it will be extended further south.

Sometimes when riding around Raleigh or other places in the Triangle I come upon 'new' (to me) roads that I had no idea were there. Some examples might be that Rogers Lane off of New Bern Avenue connects to New Hope Road near Poole Rd or construction of New Leesville Road (i really got lost one day over there). What do you know about proposed or under construction projects in the Triangle. And what newer roads to you frequent or know about that may not have even be on a map yet.

Raleigh_Thoroughfare_Plan_3000_Scale_Map.pdf

Does anyone know about the construction of the extension of Edwards Mill Road from Trinity Road to NC 54? Last time I went from Cary to Raleigh on NC 54 I noticed that land had been cleared out, but I haven't succeeded in finding anything on the project and if it will be extended further south.

Before it makes it further south than Chapel Hill Road / NC54 they will have to cross the railroad. That will be expensive and complicated. Do they bridge over both the railroad and Hillsborough street? Do they tunnel under the tracks and lower Hillsborough to match? Who knows.

Further south, about 5 years ago, the city adopted Wolf Wood Drive as part of the eventual alignment for Edwards Mill Road south of Hillsborough Street.

Eventually it will be extended as far south as the Western Boulevard Extension. Ever notice how Cary Town Boulevard turns into Western Boulevard as it crosses I-40? Well, Western Boulevard will eventually be extended there, on a new alignment from its current terminus at Jones Franklin Road. The city already owns a lot of the right-of-way needed to implement the Western Boulevard extension, and the Wolf Village developers left enough right-of-way for the Edwards Mill portion of the extension. Construction is not planned until 2025-2035.

I live in West Raleigh. Much of the area is still undeveloped, which is probably a blessing because it leaves a blank(er) slate for when Light Rail eventually comes through. But as the area fills out, the road network will have to be reconfigured somewhat, and I've put some thought into how that might happen with the end result being more of a grid. Some of this is pure fantasy but at the same time, some of the ideas are pretty realistic.

One of the realistic ideas would be realigning Buck Jones Rd to intersect the Western Blvd extension opposite Edwards Mill Rd, basically turning Edwards Mill-Buck Jones into a single north-south thoroughfare through West Raleigh, something which doesn't currently exist.

A Bashford-Fort Sumter connection would be pretty useful, but not likely, since it would involve tearing up a neighborhood. It was actually on the thoroughfare plan at some point, but was later removed because of neighborhood protests.

I would like to see more ways to cross the railroads. There's currently only 1 grade separation (Hillsborough St) and just 2 more (Blue Ridge and Edwards Mill) actually in the planned. I drew in 4 more for good measure, for a total of 7: Powell-Youth Center, Jones Franklin Extension, Nowell-Wolf Green, and Corporate Center-Bashford. At $10-$20 million a pop, these are probably a connectivity pipe dream.

No matter how you slice it, the Western / Hillsborough / Jones Franklin / Buck Jones area knot is going to be tough to untie. This was singled out as an area for "special study" in the city's recent comprehensive plan update.

• 2 months later...

NCDOT released an update that NC-540 running 18 miles from N.C. Highway 55 near Holly Springs to the Interstate 40 Clayton Bypass is expected to open in 2019. Wow eight years more to finally connect to I-40 at both ends. Would allow beach-bound summer travelers some options through Raleigh (mainly to avoid the RTP bottle-neck as people are leaving work). As others have noted, this may move the congestion to the area of 40 around the Clayton Bypass. However I noticed on the City of Raleigh site the TIF showing a third lane being added to 40 all the way down to Hwy 42.

ALSO: To complete the loop, environmental studies are underway for the eastern portion, which would run 12 miles from the I-40 Clayton Bypass to the existing I-540 near Knightdale. No date has been set yet for opening that section.

Related:

Another toll project, the 3.4-mile Triangle Parkway from I-40 and the Durham Freeway to N.C. 540 is expected to open in 2011.

from WRAL Traffic News on 540

NCDOT released an update that NC-540 running 18 miles from N.C. Highway 55 near Holly Springs to the Interstate 40 Clayton Bypass is expected to open in 2019. Wow eight years more to finally connect to I-40 at both ends. Would allow beach-bound summer travelers some options through Raleigh (mainly to avoid the RTP bottle-neck as people are leaving work). As others have noted, this may move the congestion to the area of 40 around the Clayton Bypass. However I noticed on the City of Raleigh site the TIF showing a third lane being added to 40 all the way down to Hwy 42.

I wonder if toll revenue for the portion currently under construction (Western segment) will live up to expectations, and if it doesn't, how that will impact plans for the Southern segment. I've got an idea: If they're dead set on completing the loop, toll the entire thing.

I never really noticed this but the Southern Wake Freeway is supposed to intersect I-40 at exactly the same spot as the US 70 Clayton Bypass. That's going to make for some kind of unusual (read:expensive) 5-pointed freeway interchange. Take a look at this map to see what I mean. But I guess it will have the benefit of allowing traffic to move from NC540 to US70 without getting on I-40.

The City of Raleigh is hosting an "open house" on transportation issues in the Crabtree Valley area. The consultant working on the study will supposedly bring a few preliminary recommendations to the table. No idea how far these recommendations will go. Lots of changes have been talked about through here, including new streets, street extensions, widenings, intersection modifications, greenways, sidewalks, and pedestrian bridges - all of which are relevant in this highly congested locale.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't sure exactly where to post this, so I'll post it here since it seems to fit somewhat. The city has announced that it will begin a study of the Capital Blvd corridor from Downtown up to the beltline to turn it into a much-improved gateway to downtown and apparently businesses are getting involved as well.

Excerpt:

Changes are likely to include street improvements, new businesses, upgrades of impaired Pigeon House Creek and additional housing.

They also could include a walkway along the creek, greenway trails, hotels, high-rise apartments and anything else property owners, developers, residents and city planners dream up during the study.

Hopefully the "dream up" part doesn't include sand-box style developments like along the 540 interchange...

http://www.northraleighnews.com/2010/03/17/2562/raleigh-to-study-capital-blvd.html

• 3 weeks later...

OH THE HORROR!

NCDOT must have finally capitulated to the revised MUTCD or whatever that thing is called, as I noticed the new signage on I-4O through Raleigh's southside has the hideous raised first letter on NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, WEST. Please don't allow them to continue this trend. It's ugly!

raisedletter.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wasn't sure exactly where to post this, so I'll post it here since it seems to fit somewhat. The city has announced that it will begin a study of the Capital Blvd corridor from Downtown up to the beltline to turn it into a much-improved gateway to downtown and apparently businesses are getting involved as well.

Excerpt:

Hopefully the "dream up" part doesn't include sand-box style developments like along the 540 interchange...

http://www.northrale...pital-blvd.html

As a follow up, the city is hosting a public workshop on the Capital Blvd Study:

May 28, 2010

City To Host Public Workshop On Capital Boulevard Corridor Study

The City of Raleigh will hold a public workshop on the Capital Boulevard Corridor Study on Thursday, June 24, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the new vehicle showroom at the Bobby Murray Chevrolet dealership located at 1820 Capital Blvd. Registration and check-in begins at 6 p.m. and light refreshments will be served.

The first public workshop is being held to define the corridor study area, identify key issues and opportunities, and refine the next steps in the study process. A brief presentation of the history of the corridor and a preliminary inventory of known issues will be given. Afterward, small group discussions will be held to gather public input on how best to transform Capital Boulevard into a vibrant mixed-use corridor. Capital Boulevard serves as the primary gateway to the heart of Raleigh and offers unique opportunities for redevelopment, open space creation, water quality improvement, and transit.

Parking for the public workshop at Bobby Murray Chevrolet will be available outside the showroom and in the adjacent Flea Market Mall parking lot. To register to attend, go to www.raleighnc.gov/planning. Special accommodations for residents with disabilities can be made by calling the City’s Public Affairs Department at 996-3100.

For more information, contact Trisha Hasch with the Department of City Planning at 807-8480 or [email protected].

The announcement is so full of hypocrisy I could puke. The Bobby Murray building is the epitome of what is wrong with Capital Blvd. They are trying to solve an issue that can't be solved...this many cars precludes mixed-use. That no business can survive beyond used car dealers and gas stations has already be borne out along several miles. Open space? You had some. Now you have Bobby Murray. Way to go.

Stop permitting crap that you *know* is not viable long term. Do not allow 40 foot retaining walls to be built next to creek banks. Do not convenience new developments with stoplights but not require bus stops. Require all new development along designated corridors to contribute to transit along that corridor. Did this article not make it clear growth does not pay for itself using the current model?

The announcement is so full of hypocrisy I could puke. The Bobby Murray building is the epitome of what is wrong with Capital Blvd. They are trying to solve an issue that can't be solved...this many cars precludes mixed-use. That no business can survive beyond used car dealers and gas stations has already be borne out along several miles. Open space? You had some. Now you have Bobby Murray. Way to go.

Stop permitting crap that you *know* is not viable long term. Do not allow 40 foot retaining walls to be built next to creek banks. Do not convenience new developments with stoplights but not require bus stops. Require all new development along designated corridors to contribute to transit along that corridor. Did this article not make it clear growth does not pay for itself using the current model?

I think thats one of the reason why the workshop is being held at the Bobby Murray Building. Our city would benefit from having your voice (and passion) heard at the workshop Jones133, as well as many others from this forum.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently, Harnett doesn't either, if I recall correctly. (Though long-range plans are to change that.)

Good point. That's what it says on the nc50 website, but apparently they don't get to Harnett very often.

IS 401 not 4 lanes all the way into harnett? Even in Fuquay?

Last I was down there, 401 was 2-lane immediately south of downtown Fuquay. Nor is 55 a 4-lane all the way to the county line. But something could have changed ...

Interesting blurb on WRAL over road project funding:

http://www.wral.com/traffic/story/8086474/

Basically roads will now be fixed on need and not on political ties, which is what it should have been all along. Also mentioned is the redesign of the Hillsborough Street intersection of Blue Ridge:

"That doesn't mean we didn't rank some of the lower ones. We actually have Hillsborough Street at the Blue Ridge Road intersection – that needs to be an interchange with bridges going over – on our list, and it's funded in the current (priority list)," he said.

That will be interesting. Guess they kind of have to due to the rail flying through there.

Basically roads will now be fixed on need and not on political ties... Also mentioned is the redesign of the Hillsborough Street intersection of Blue Ridge...

That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it (admittedly cynical) is that now NCDOT will do what the Governor wants, instead of what the General Assembly wants.

You are correct: NCDOT has already applied to the feds for ARRA stimulus money to re-do Hillsborough/Blue Ridge on account of passenger train volume. It was only in the early 90s when Blue Ridge was extended from Beryl to Western.

• 1 month later...

Could all y'all please stop ignoring my hometown of Louisburg and Franklin County as being part of the Triangle? Even though there's been heavier growth south and west of Raleigh, originally the Triangle area was defined as Wake, Durham, Orange, and Franklin counties way back 25-30 years ago. I even remember WRAL weather maps shading them differently from the rest of the area. So even though it remains rural and backwards, the large border it shares with Wake constitutes acknowledgement, lol. And until then, please refrain from commenting on Chatham and Harnett counties. :)

US-401 North to Louisburg has been scheduled for widening for more than 20 years. Work on the Roleville bypass begins next year hopefully, so I guess I should be thankful for that much.

^I don't think anyone ignored Franklin.

The discussion above said Granville & Harnett Counties were the only two adjacent counties not linked to Wake with a 4-lane highway.

Franklin County already is...by two highways in fact: US 1 and US 64. :shades:

But you are partly right...as of this year finally, US 401 North is currently being widened, piecemeal, up to Louisburg. Which will then make three 4-lane highways going to Franklin. :thumbsup:

Archived