Triangle road & traffic thread

uptownliving

OH THE HORROR!

NCDOT must have finally capitulated to the revised MUTCD or whatever that thing is called, as I noticed the new signage on I-4O through Raleigh's southside has the hideous raised first letter on NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, WEST. Please don't allow them to continue this trend. It's ugly!

raisedletter.jpg

...and yet, they still couldn't manage to get the signage for Exit 298B correct---they omitted 70W/401N/50N

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and yet, they still couldn't manage to get the signage for Exit 298B correct---they omitted 70W/401N/50N

I would love just to spend a entire month doing the job of whoever at DOT makes signs for the Wake County area. I would be busy the entire time just fixing all the mistakes and inaccuracies there are out there! :wacko:

US 1 from North Raleigh to I85 in Henderson into an interstate-calibre road?

NCDOT has been studying improvements to US 1, but the scope of the study ends just north of Youngsville. Even that is years in the future. The project that's competing for funds is to four-lane US 401 to Rolesville, if not all the way to Louisburg.

I think the prioritization of upgrading US 1 actually lowered when US 64 Bypass around Knightdale came around. The line of thinking is for trips north from Raleigh (ie, Virginia and beyond), you can take 64 to 95 north. (I use it for trips to DC now and it's tons faster than US 1 was.)

US 1 past Wake Forest is (I think) below-capacity traffic, seeing as it only really connects us to Youngsville, Franklinton and Henderson...and then I-85.

That is more perception than truth. Its about 20 miles longer to go 64/95 to Petersburg. I have done both more than once and it varies about 5 minutes. My all time fastest was of course leaving at night and taking capital which had me missing more of the lights. Granted going 80-90 mph is easier on 64 and 95 (and that will get you another 5-10 minutes) than capital but well...when you have been in a car that rolled at 70 mph you prefer not to go super fast...(I wasn't driving mind you)

It seems they are doing things piecemeal on Capital right now...they are expanding the 3rd lane that goes south, which starts at 540, up to Durant/Perry Creek. They are also putting in a sidewalk, which I've been jokingly referring to as the "sidewalk to nowhere," given there is nothing but a couple car dealerships within a feasible walking distance lol.

• 6 months later...

Could someone please post some new pics of the completed I-40 project from Wade Ave to US1 once it is complete? I'm anxious to see the new signage (sans lights by the way) at the Wade Ave. split.

Also, is it just me, or does the "y" in "Clayton" on all of the I-40/ US70 look funny? It looks like it's sitting up too high. The typography freaks on aaroads.com would have a field day with it.

State government has ok'ed the request by Raleigh for safety improvements for bicyclists and pedestrians on Capital. Unmarked lanes will be wider, crosswalks will be beefed up & new push buttons and refuge islands will be installed. Construction will begin early June this year and will be from Hodges St to Sumner Blvd. A great start to making Capital a bit more non-car friendly!

http://www.northraleighnews.com/2011/05/15/7998/capital-boulevard-work-gets-states.html

For those who live in northwest Raleigh, NC 50 via Creedmoor to Henderson is about 5 minutes faster than US 1 -- except in the middle of the night.

NC50 from Raleigh to Creedmoor/Henderson is a deadly highway. I don't I've ever felt so scared on such a narrow roadway. It is much narrower than US401 to Louisburg.

• 4 months later...

You can view the conceptual design alternatives for the Peace Street and Wade Avenue replacement bridges on Capital Boulevard online now.

For Peace Street, they have an interesting "square loop" alternative that extends Harrington to Peace Street, which I think is a good idea, though I'm not necessarily keen on some other aspects of the plan, such as the free-flowing right turns from Peace to Capital.

All of the Wade Avenue alternatives involve closing the Fairview Road flyover. One of the alternatives pretty much shows the existing trumpet interchange essentially rebuilt with modern curve radii. The three other alternatives show some sort of diamond, though it doesn't seem like it really leaves the option for a further extension of Wade Avenue (A connection to Halifx, for example.) Some of the alternatives show West Street connecting to Fairview, which I think is actually a fantastic idea. All of the alternatives appear to conflict with the SEHSR NC5 alternative in some way so that will have to be worked out.

All in all I think these alternatives are a start and some of them include some nice new street connections (West-Fairview and Harington-Peace). I think many on here will be disappointed that these projects will basically lock us into another 50 years of Capital Blvd as a Jersey Freeway instead of extending Dawson and McDowell on the surface.

I am still thinking bring Dawson/McDowell out the Peace/Capital exits, lower the Capital bridge down the original grade (Peace grade) and then the problem with Capital being too high there for the Rail bridge is solved. (not sure what impacts to businesses etc become of that though). Also a great time to pull Salisbury an Wilmington back through to Peace, eliminate left turns from Peace to Halifax (use Salisbury now) and still do the West/Fairview thing and Harrington/Peace thing. Much better connections all around. Also thinking Fairview/Halifax two lane bridge with no connection to Capital but that may get in the way the rail bridge.

The bowtie diamond is an absolute NO. It plops a suburban style interchange right in the middle of the north end of downtown making Peace even less walkable than it is now. The One with the Harrington extension is interesting as it eliminates the southbound Peace exit ramp and brings the huge north Raleigh/State complex commute into the area via two right turns instead of a signaless left turn.

#2 for Peace St will be rough on drivers traveling south on Capital who want simply to go west on Peace. #3 looks overdone.

#2-4 for Wade Av would require northbound traffic from downtown headed towards Crabtree to make a 90 degree left turn onto Wade. I can't imagine the public would support that. NC5 makes extending Wade eastward even more difficult.

• 1 month later...

I drove home to Raleigh and Louisburg last weekend from Atlanta. I chose to take NC49/US64 from Charlotte rather than I-85. I have to say it was quite pleasant and I'll probably do it again in the future. I think it was about 50 miles shorter than the other route.

It was neat to see tiny "foothills" poking up from the landscape seemingly all the way to Wake County from the West. Definitely different looking from I-85. Also it was interesting to see Shearon Harris's cooling tower repeatedly starting about 30 miles away.

I now understand why the Triangle's growth has disproportionately been to the South and West of Raleigh. It's absolutely beautiful coming into Wake County on US-64. Much nicer than US-1 that's for sure.

The newest section of the widened US-401 North into Rolesville looks very nice. I love how that highway has concrete curbs, and the new section has concrete curbed islands for left turns. Very unusual to me.

They did a decent job with the I-40/Wade Ave split reconstruction, although I'm disappointed that there's no diagramatical signage in advance of the interchange which I think would be helpful 1 or 2 miles beforehand.

The replacement signage on I-40 near downtown is acceptable, but what I LOVE is the gigantic new signs for I-540 North and South on I-40. They look great.

Returning to Atlanta on I-85 I'm happy to report that the last remaining 4-lane sections of the interstate are being widened, and the new Yadkin River Bridge looks about 50% complete.

While here in Georgia, they talk about fixing problems for years and nothing actually gets done, North Carolina went from not knowing how to pay for the Yadkin Br. replacement just 2 years ago to being halfway finished building a new one. NC rocks!

• 10 months later...

Random question that I can't seem to google the answer to. Are there plans to extend the southern terminus of NC-147 (Toll) at NC-540 (Toll) toward Davis Drive / McCrimmon Parkway? I noticed that there are existing ramp stubs and bridge-work that would support this theory anyways. If so, does anyone have a DOT link?

9RjMa.jpg

On closer inspection of the intersection of McCrimmon Parkway and Town Hall Drive, it appears that NC-147 would terminate at Town Hall Drive. There are some signs and a visible shield (sign on the left), but I can't make out what it says on Google Street View.

zWw1J.jpg

Yes, this connector was included in the original design concept of the tolled 147/540. Sometime after the General Assembly adopted the legislation to convert the already-built portion of 540 between 54 and 55 to toll, NCDOT and NCTA conveniently disavowed the Morrisville connector. Personally, I believe this is a classic case of bait-and-switch... but nobody ever challenged NCDOT/NCTA about it. The current view is that the connector will be built only if Morrisville pays for it 100%. Well, that could be a very long time away -- if ever.

Did anybody attend the meeting last night regarding the DOT's presentation for the various options for the Capital Blvd intersections with Peace St and Wade Ave? I couldn't make it, but also felt like the DOT has made up their minds already and the meeting was just window dressing. Sounds like we would get the 'square loop' interchange at Peace St and just a replacement of the Wade bridge.

@ Peace: While I have come around to the thought that a bridge is required, I'm not sure what is wrong with straight on- and off-ramps tight up against Capital Blvd. This is the norm for urban interchanges and does not required massive amounts of space. Having 2 signals at the ends of the ramps could add delay to Peace St, but I'm not sure we wouldn't have added traffic anyway with the growth of downtown.

@ Wade: I'd like to see a modern traffic circle similar to Dupont Circle in Washington DC. Have two (or three) lanes of Capital in each direction pass as thru lanes underneath the roundabout and have 'local' traffic occur at the surface roundabout. Wade inbound could have its own dedicated turn lane onto Southbound Capital separate from the rest of the circle traffic. This would also allow unrestricted flow for most of the heavy flows during peak hours.

This would also create a more human-scale interchange that would be conducive to potential walkable development (because lets be honest, not many types of development would be possible at an interchange typical of a highway (similar to the existing).

I'm not holding my breath for anything innovative or ground breaking though, I mean, it IS Raleigh and the DOT we're talking about.

Have two (or three) lanes of Capital in each direction pass as thru lanes underneath the roundabout and have 'local' traffic occur at the surface roundabout.

The floor of such a tunnel would be below the water table (e.g. the adjacent Pigeon House Creek). Construction would be expensive, and the tunnel would be flood-prone. Capital Blvd., or North Blvd. as it was called originally, was squeezed into the Pigeon House Creek floodplain next to the railroad yard.

Archived