I-275 from Howard Frankland Bridge to Hillsborough

I-275westcoastflorida

The proposed improvements for this portion of I-275 will replace the existing lanes and will consist of eight to ten lanes located to the outside of the existing interstate facility. The construction of this project, also called Links Stages 2 and 3, will improve safety, traffic operations, add capacity, and will include landscaping and architectural elements to enhance the neighborhood aesthetics. Tampa Airport Interchanges is an adjacent non-interstate project within the Memorial Highway corridor scheduled to start in early 2005.

Construction for I-275 will be in two Stages as follows:

Links Stage 2 - The proposed roadway improvements between the Howard Frankland Bridge and Himes Avenue will cross or be within the limits of the existing roadway. This will require multiple shifts of traffic using portions of both the existing and newly constructed roadways. From Himes Avenue to the Hillsborough River, the new northbound lanes will be built while traffic is maintained on the existing lanes.

Links Stage 3 - From Himes Avenue to the Hillsborough River, the new southbound lanes will be built. Southbound traffic will be maintained on the existing northbound lanes and northbound traffic will be accommodated on the newly constructed outer lanes.

MAJOR MILESTONES

This segment of I-275 between Tampa Bay and the Hillsborough River is located in the midst of the West Tampa National Historic Register District and is adjacent to the Westshore commercial/retail district. Now, with 60% design plans complete, all ROW needs, including pond locations, have been finalized. Design elements are now being integrated into the project that will enhance the community. The FDOT held an Aesthetics Public Information Meeting on September 4, 2003. That meeting focused on presenting system-wide design features such as lighting no the mainline interstate, fencing around such areas as ponds, and potential noise abatement wall appearance details including wall texture and colors. Landscaping concepts for areas such as overpasses, along barrier walls, and around ponds were also presented. Finally, renderings that depict architectural features that will be incorporated into the walls and bridge structures of the interstate in the vicinity of focal areas such as the Howard /Armenia interchange were available for viewing. All of these graphics and exhibits, along with the updated engineering concepts, are on display here tonight.

Another important aspect of this project that has been initiated is the relocation and rehabilitation of the historic structures in the West Tampa Historic District. Of the seven historic buildings listed or eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places in the West Tampa area, two of them have been identified for relocation and rehabilitation as part of this project. The first house was moved this past month, and the second is scheduled to be moved in early 2004. this process is being undertaken in order to fulfill the requirements of the Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) that defined mitigation for impacts to historic buildings and provisions for treatment of archeological finds during construction.

PROJECT SCHEDULE AND COST

According to the FDOT's Tenative Ten Year Interstate Program, design, ROW, and construction are funded as outlined below:

PHASE YEAR ESTIMATED STAGES 2/3CURRENT YEAR TOTAL

DOLLARS (millions)

Design Underway $22.5

ROW Tampa Bay to Himes Avenue: Underway $147.5

Himes Avenue to Hillsborough River: Underway

Construction 2007-2013 $278.80

Total $448.8

Go HERE to view it

Tampa Airport Interchanges

Project Description

Financial Project # 255844

Project Length: 3 miles

Estimated Construction Cost: $202 million

Contractor: Not yet awarded

Estimated Start Date: Spring/Summer 2005

Estimated Duration of Project: 5 years

The main portion of this project has not yet begun, as the Florida Department of Transporation is still in the process of awarding the contract to a qualified contractor. However, because of subtantial utility work that is being done in advance, we have listed this as an "active" project so that we may keep you up-to-date on lane closures and progress associated with this utility work. One such project is The City of Tampa Utility Corridor.

About this Project

The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) plans to improve State Road 60/Memorial Highway from I-275 to the Courtney Campbell Causeway interchange, in the vicinity of Tampa International Airport (TIA). The project also extends west one mile onto the Courtney Campbell Causeway (S.R. 60) and north to the Veterans Expressway. This entire project is known as the Tampa Airport Interchanges project. See map.

The Spruce Street/S.R. 60 interchange and the Courtney Campbell/S.R. 60 interchange will be improved to a three-level directional interchange. This configuration eliminates S.R. 60 traffic signals within the Courtney Campbell interchange and on the Causeway at the Hyatt entrance. It also provides a two lane frontage road system for access to the Hyatt property. The new interchange configuration features the separation of local and express traffic with collector/distributor (C/D) roads and express lanes. This system is also expected to relieve congestion on the interstate ramps within the area and improve access to Tampa International Airport.

Arial Photos

3D Photos

To get a view of the dramatic changes that will be constructed to this roadway system, click here to view pre-construction aerial photos along with computer-enhanced versions of these photos that show artist renderings of the improvements.

Presentation BoardPROJECT DESCRIPTION View of the Project

For another view of the area, click here to view presentation boards of the entire project area.

"Drive Through" Video

We also offer a computer-enhanced "driving" video of what the completed project will look like. This video takes you through the driving movements that will be in place once the project is completed. Click here to view the video.

Lane Closure Hours

State Road 60

* Single Lane: 8:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m.

* Double Lane: 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.

Spruce Street

George Bean Pkwy

* 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.

State Road 589 (Veterans Expressway) Northbound

State Road 589 (Veterans Expressway) Southbound

* Single Lane: 8:30 p.m. to 5 a.m.

Detours

* 12 a.m. to 4 a.m.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Yea especially in the area of Malfunction-Junction

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't wait til the construction is done. Seems like a never-ending process though. I have to give it to the the Project Managers to have patience like that; I'm always thinking at what point they will ever finish the malfunction-junction. I am glad that they put those Streetlights that are like skycraper high; adds a nice touch to the highways.

Marc

Archived