Carolina Stadium

The_sandlapper

I think USC chose this just to spite the bombers.

USC selects Vista site for new baseball stadium

Area is accessible off Blossom, Gervais streets, near other key venues

By STEVE WISEMAN

Staff Writer

USC intends to build its new $10 million baseball stadium in the Vista on a site behind the Colonial Center and the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center.

University president Andrew Sorensen decided on that site, which will be accessible from both Blossom and Gervais streets, instead of a site closer to Blossom Street, USC baseball coach Ray Tanner confirmed Friday.

USC currently is involved in getting right-of-way clearance from the city and Norfolk Southern railroad, which has tracks that run along the back edge of the proposed stadium site. University officials hope to begin construction on the 6,800-seat stadium this summer, with completion in time for the beginning of the 2007 baseball season.

USC baseball

121003904000.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad the city isn't paying much for this.  It's still a shame they couldn't work something out with a minor league team.

Will this stadium have the skyboxes and everything that the newer minor league stadiums have?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, the stadium will have skyboxes and will be nicer than anything the Bombers would have had. USC baseball is more exciting than Bombers baseball ever dreamed of being.

Yes, the stadium will have skyboxes and will be nicer than anything the Bombers would have had. USC baseball is more exciting than Bombers baseball ever dreamed of being.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed.

I think that they need to remake the Greene St intersection with the RR so that it can be used as a way to get to Huger. I know Devine has a crossing, but its inconvenient.

Indeed.

I think that they need to remake the Greene St intersection with the RR so that it can be used as a way to get to Huger. I know Devine has a crossing, but its inconvenient.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree Spartan. I'd also like to see light rail use existing lines in Columbia. It would be great to take the train to basketball and baseball games!

I agree Spartan. I'd also like to see light rail use existing lines in Columbia. It would be great to take the train to basketball and baseball games!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now that would be awsome. Though from my location I can just walk down there. Its only a half mile :P

That is so cool! I drive back home from work right by that piece of land everyday, and they definitely need to do something with it. What better place to combine spectator sport venues for the university? It is a shame that Cola couldn't combine the minor league team and USC's...but this stadium would increase foot traffic and business there in the Vista.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

USC gave final approval for the construction of a new 6,800-seat baseball stadium in the Vista (see graphic above).

Costs for the stadium are expected to be $17.5 million, in contrast to the earlier $10 million estimate.

The Article

This should be interesting. My question now is what will become of the old field and the one left by the Bomber's?

So if Columbia gets a minor league team again, USC will not share the stadium with that team?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope not. Why should a public university support a private, for-profit enterprise? It should be the other way around.

I agree. Though it would be ideal for them to share a stadium, the reality is that there is too much BS associated with that. USC's stadium is supposed to support outdoor concerts as well, which would enhance the pull of the Colonial Center.

I agree. Though it would be ideal for them to share a stadium, the reality is that there is too much BS associated with that. USC's stadium is supposed to support outdoor concerts as well, which would enhance the pull of the Colonial Center.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't college baseball end in May? Given the choice I would rather have minor league baseball that lasts all summer. Too bad Columbia can not support both.

I hope not. Why should a public university support a private, for-profit enterprise? It should be the other way around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can certainly understand that, but were plans underway in the city to reacquire a minor league team at any point after the Bombers left? If so, what were the terms as far as building a stadium goes?

I can certainly understand that, but were plans underway in the city to reacquire a minor league team at any point after the Bombers left? If so, what were the terms as far as building a stadium goes?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chances are if a minor league team decides to locate to Columbia they are gonna have to finance themselves. With USC rolling the way it is I can't see Columbia funding any private organization to relocate back to the city, especially now since the gamecoks will play in the heart of the city's fastest growing entertainment disrtict. It's hard for private clubs to compete with large university athletics not very many cities can pull it of except for LA, Seattle, Denver-Boulder, Miami, & Atlanta to name a few, but these are large metro areas afterall.

At USC, baseball is the most successful sport. In fact, the gamecocks have the country's best record since 2000. With USC baseball being so good, how much room is there for class A baseball. I believe a AA or AAA team would be well supported here, but frankly, Columbia is too big for a single A team, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, seems as though some kinks are being worked out with the new baseball stadium. One big kink yet to be worked out is parking. With the convention center and the we-hope-soon-to-be-built Hilton, the Vista will need ample parking space to accomodate the vehicles.

It's good to see that both Columbia and Greenville are moving forward with the downtown baseball stadium plans.

I hope the pedestrian bridge across the railroad tracks comes to fruitin. It will really open up access to the park from the Huger and Pulaski Street areas. In addition to the apartments on Pulaski there are many businesses along Pulaski and Huger whose employees will have better access to the park.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is ridiculous....Isn't there a sea of parking at the Colonial Center right next door? Now the utility issue is a serious concern, but it seems like they should have known this very early in the planning stages.

I'm puzzled. I guess we'll have to wait for the other shoe to drop.

Archived