Carolina Stadium

The_sandlapper

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Seems as though the Vista site is facing some hurdles in addition to the potential parking situation. They include possible "chemicals of concern", although it appears as though they don't really pose any type of significant threat, and the 72-inch city storm drain line that runs directly under the site of the proposed stadium.

Here's a list of other proposed sites for the stadium.

I like the idea of a riverfront baseball park too, and the stands should face the downtown skyline that way if USC is sucking you still have something decent to view. I still don't understand why the city or university doesn't convert at least one of the existing city-block sized lots into a multi-story garage. That'll provide ample space for all students and suburbanites cramming into the Vista.

I like the idea of a riverfront baseball park too, and the stands should face the downtown skyline that way if USC is sucking you still have something decent to view. I still don't understand why the city or university doesn't convert at least one of the existing city-block sized lots into a multi-story garage. That'll provide ample space for all students and suburbanites cramming into the Vista.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That and it would create more parking options for USC. They are building that new garage at Bull & Blossom though, so that will help a little. I am not certain how they will name it though, becuase we already have a Bull St garage and a Blossom St garage...

• 2 weeks later...

i think baseball in the vista would be great, it nice to see usc and the city trying to work with a minor league baseball team. i think they should have been came to a joint conclusion before we lost the bombmers. but oh well they are just a A team, so greenville can have them. i can't wait to see this new stadium built. it would show a awsome view of the city from the seats.

i think baseball in the vista would be great, it nice to see usc and the city trying to work with a minor league baseball team. i think they should have been came to a joint conclusion before we lost the bombmers. but oh well they are just a A team, so greenville can have them. i can't wait to see this new stadium built. it would show a awsome view of the city from the seats.

I agree. The stadium needs to be in the Vista, whether it is next to the Colinial Center or on the river. I don't like the idea of it being where the Farmer's Market is now.

• 2 months later...

Sounds like USC is close to an agreement with the Guignard family to use some more of their land for a riverfront stadium. Awesome location... The State says they're eyeing a piece of land south of Blossom and west of Huger. I've highlighted an area that they could be talking about. It could also be just south of what I've marked -- they're not clear. Tell me that wouldn't be killer right along there? The mill village of Granby would get a serious boost. You would see some great infill and reuse popping up along Williams Street also -- replacing all of that light industrial stuff. Killer.

post-615-1134935194_thumb.jpg

post-615-1134935194_thumb.jpg

Nice find! That's killer... so, it's a block south of Blossom and a block west of Huger... beautiful. I dig this location. I just hope the surface parking is kept to a minimum.

If I'm not mistaken, this is near one of the proposed sites for the Three Rivers Greenway Community/Learning Center that will be built if we score that Salvation Army grant.

Wow, that's cool. I did have my doubts about this project, but I'm glad to see it go through. Will the Capital City stadium still undergo renovations?

yes... the cap city refub is starting. i don't know how major it will be... there's another thread on here about the new team and all that. the mill villages are like baseball heaven. lol

Yeah, they really are. USC's new stadium will put the number of ballparks in Columbia up to about 3, right? And if that Northeast traffic nightmare of a stadium gets built, that will be 4. Is Columbia infatuated with baseball or something? -_-

Ok, so how will parking figure into all of this? I know that there will no longer be a concern about events at the Colonial Center as well as the convention center while baseball games are going on, but did the article even address that or did I miss it?

Archived