Carolina Stadium

The_sandlapper

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also it's good to see that the stands will be facing toward the Skyline! That will make an awesome picture for media pics, or baseball recruitment tools!

I love the view of the skyline from Williams Street driving from Catawba to Blossom, and that is from street level. Just think how it will look from up in the stands. The angle is great and the span is impressive. I'm sure this development will lead to a clean-up of that area; already an abandoned site is for sale - basically a whole block. And a new clean business is going up along Huger in the block adjacent to the baseball stadium site.

This idea for a new stadium is the best thing Cola can get from USC! :thumbsup: Finally, somebody figured out that a good venue utilizes the natural surroundings of the city. I've been saying many times that Cola needed to use its proximity to the rivers as an asset, and this stadium looks like it will do just that. Maybe it could be the impetus for future development along the river.

Could you imagine some serious riverfront developmet, gas latern streets, bars, retail shops, restaurants, townhomes (affordable), and I think someone mentioned gondolas that would be awesome! This may not be too far fetched with Innovista. I'm sure the project will bring a ton of activity to the riverfront.

Could you imagine some serious riverfront developmet, gas latern streets, bars, retail shops, restaurants, townhomes (affordable), and I think someone mentioned gondolas that would be awesome! This may not be too far fetched with Innovista. I'm sure the project will bring a ton of activity to the riverfront.

Don't forget - that type of development is what the Guinyards and USC are planning between Blossom and Gervais with only the greenway separating the development from the river.

Yeah, they really are. USC's new stadium will put the number of ballparks in Columbia up to about 3, right? And if that Northeast traffic nightmare of a stadium gets built, that will be 4. Is Columbia infatuated with baseball or something? -_-

Yeah :lol: I think the city is tryin to overcompensate now with the loss of the Bombers.

Welcome to The Riverbanks we are baseball :thumbsup: , maybe we should try to lure lousville slugger, or redman tobacco downhere or something?

Sounds great, I hope someone is able to post some renderings sometime. I'd also like to see baseball get more attention in the SEC east. Attendance seems to show that the SEC west seems to be more into baseball. It will be great to have another quality baseball stadium in the SEC. Not sure how all the other baseball stadiums rate in the conference, but I've heard lots of nice things about Baum Stadium here in Fayetteville.

LSU and Mississippi State draw really well in baseball, but so does USC. We are perennially a top ten attendance team and that's with the old stadium. We should move into the top 5 with the new stadium. Another thing to note is that we have had the number 1 ranked recruiting class 2 out of the last 3 years - with an old and outdated stadium. Imagine how much a new stadium, etc. is going to help recruiting!

LSU and Mississippi State draw really well in baseball, but so does USC. We are perennially a top ten attendance team and that's with the old stadium. We should move into the top 5 with the new stadium. Another thing to note is that we have had the number 1 ranked recruiting class 2 out of the last 3 years - with an old and outdated stadium. Imagine how much a new stadium, etc. is going to help recruiting!

Ah, I thought there was a team in the SEC East that did well in attendance but I couldn't remember who it was. Apparently it was you guys. Arkansas has managed to outdraw Mississippi State recently. But anyway it's always nice to have another class facility here in the SEC. :D

• 7 months later...

USC is also scheduled to breakground this fall on the new baseball stadium going up in the vista. The stadium is a new state of the art facility that seats 6,800 with a nice view of the columbia skyline.

Rumor has it that the first opponet in the new stadium will be Texas. How awesome would that be?

Rumor has it that the first opponet in the new stadium will be Texas. How awesome would that be?

Texas was GOING to be the first opponent...but that's not happening now. Ray Tanner annouced a month or two back that it didn't work out, and that East Carolina was going to be the first opponent. Wish it was going to be the 'Horns though.

Texas was GOING to be the first opponent...but that's not happening now. Ray Tanner annouced a month or two back that it didn't work out, and that East Carolina was going to be the first opponent. Wish it was going to be the 'Horns though.

That's disappointing. ECU is a decent enough opponet, but I was looking forward to playing another national power outside of the SEC and Clemson(i.e. Texas, FSU, Cal St. Ful.).

• 10 months later...

When Granby Park connects with the ball park portion of the Three Rivers Greenway, and the greenway goes underneath the Blossom Street bridge, and Innovista's portion is complete and goes on up, underneath the Gervais Street bridge connecting with Canal Front at EdVenture Children's Museum and on up, connecting with the Canalside Esplanade and on up, connecting with Riverfront Park, OMG!!!!!

The completed portions of the greenway are already a national treasure, but we're talking truly world class when all is complete.

• 6 months later...

Archived