Is Boston maxed out on height?

knoxster77

I would hardly call the Hancock Tower's neighborhood "the middle of nowhere"! It's right next to the city's most expensive shopping district, not to mention the many hotels and the Prudential Center a couple blocks to the west.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Logan. Airport. The end.

Downtown just won't get much taller because of the airport's flight path. I actually flew out of Logan two days ago, and it is quite amazing how the planes take off towards the skyscrapers. Maybe you'll get a new tallest near the Prudential or Hancock, but certainly don't expect anything like that downtown.

I'd like to see Boston aggressively attack the housing crisis with a ton of 10-30 story residential towers downtown and smaller mid rises in areas of Dorchester, JP and Roxbury that have alot of vacant land near transit stops.

btw- It is concievable that planes will not need runways 25 years from now so I wonder what will happen then.

I've seen some graphic published in the Globe years ago that layed out the FAA height restrictions across the downtown CBD. It was probably around the time the South Boston planning was in high gear and Fan Pier still looked like it was going to happen. If I remember correctly, the restrictions are fairly tight close to the shore line, but then step off the further you move inland, hence the height of the JHT and Pru. I believe the tower proposed in the South Gate project is for 800', which would be great. I just hope the SST can match this height with an interesting spire or something. I also believe that the city council passed some ordinance a while back requiring that any new sky scapers have some sort of decorative top (ie 111 hunting ave, the pitched roofs of Millenium Place, the art deco-ish steps of One Lincoln, etc). For now, we'll just have to sit tight and wait like always.

I'd like to see Boston aggressively attack the housing crisis with a ton of 10-30 story residential towers downtown and smaller mid rises in areas of Dorchester, JP and Roxbury that have alot of vacant land near transit stops.

btw- It is concievable that planes will not need runways 25 years from now so I wonder what will happen then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes! This is what the city needs. Maybe I could actually move closer to the city where I work and not be miserable.

Are you running for Mayor by chance?

I also believe that the city council passed some ordinance a while back requiring that any new sky scapers have some sort of decorative top (ie 111 hunting ave, the pitched roofs of Millenium Place, the art deco-ish steps of One Lincoln, etc). 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Am I the only one who thinks 111 Huntington (aka "The Tiara Building") looks unfinished? When it was being built I was sure the birdcage up top was going to end up being the coolest penthouse in town.

Or a throwback to the 1960s revolving restaurants.

Am I the only one who thinks 111 Huntington (aka "The Tiara Building") looks unfinished?  When it was being built I was sure the birdcage up top was going to end up being the coolest penthouse in town.

Or a throwback to the 1960s revolving restaurants.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, I dont much care for the tiara top to 111 Huntington either. It does look unfinished and haphazard. A simple geometric shape whould have been fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

if boston built more residentail towers, it might help the surrounding suburbs, like everett. everett is basicly streets and rows and rows and rows of 3 floor houses.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Help them? I totally agree that Boston needs to build more residential towers to weigh in on the lack of housing, but what do you mean by "helping" the suburbs?

Cities go through cycles of building.  Boston will get a new tallest maybe even within the next 10 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But for a dense city, Boston definitely is not keeping ranks with Chicago and New York. I'm not saying Boston should just be the skyscaper mess New York is...

But, ever since having the tallest building in the world, outside of New York, in 1964, called the Prudential tower, the city has not seen anything much further.

• 2 weeks later...

But for a dense city, Boston definitely is not keeping ranks with Chicago and New York.  I'm not saying Boston should just be the skyscaper mess New York is...

But, ever since having the tallest building in the world, outside of New York, in 1964, called the Prudential tower, the city has not seen anything much further.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the Pru was not the tallest in the world outside of NYC, Moscow State University was.

You say nothing has been built since 1964? Heard of the John Hancock Tower, International Place, or the Federal Reserve Tower?

I agree that Boston is not keeping up, and I blame NIMBY'S, primarily. I would love to see new tall towers.

Actually, the Pru was not the tallest in the world outside of NYC, Moscow State University was.

You say nothing has been built since 1964? Heard of the John Hancock Tower, International Place, or the Federal Reserve Tower?

I agree that Boston is not keeping up, and I blame NIMBY'S, primarily. I would love to see new tall towers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My mistake: It was the tallest building in North America outside of NYC.

And since we are talking about height, yes, the Plywood Palace is taller, but by only 40 feet.

• 1 month later...

There was a plan (don't know how serious) to radically remake the Pru (reclad and decorative top). Has there been any further talk along these lines ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

None that I know of, I imagine they abandoned it because it was too costly for such a small benefit.

There was a plan (don't know how serious) to radically remake the Pru (reclad and decorative top). Has there been any further talk along these lines ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope not. I like the Pru just the way it is.

Archived