Is Boston maxed out on height?

knoxster77

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always loved the Pru. It just has a powerful towerish look to it, with the observation deck and antenna. But I think it is fine if some don't like a particular building, because it is only one part of a grand skyline. The Boston towers I don't like I just see as filler in the skyline.

The 500 feet or higher towers I don't like (going down the Emporis.com list):

One Boston Place/"Lego Building"--Has a senseless box on its roof

One and Two International Place--Something about the shape of the windows

First National Bank of Boston/100 Federal Street/"The Pregnant Building"--Though I like how it overhangs the street

One Federal Street, One Beacon Street and 28 State Street--bland boxes that I can't tell apart

The 500 feet or higher towers I don't like (going down the Emporis.com list):

One Boston Place/"Lego Building"--Has a senseless box on its roof

One and Two International Place--Something about the shape of the windows

First National Bank of Boston/100 Federal Street/"The Pregnant Building"--Though I like how it overhangs the street

One Federal Street, One Beacon Street and 28 State Street--bland boxes that I can't tell apart

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are particular.

I think that Boston needs more "towers". By towers I don't mean 500ft+ but more like 300ft-500ft. What we need most is residential but the towers would be mixed use and fit into the city better than those of the West End. I think that because of what happened in the West End Bostonians have had a fear/hatred of tall residences. I know that there were height limits well before the West End but I see the WE as a traumatic event in the history of Boston that we need to get over.

Any sort of tower should only be built when the density is needed.

This is in contrast to my experiences in Atlanta, where there are these towers that define a skyline which some would say is impressive, a real city. But if anyone thinks Atlanta is a dense, real city like NYC or Boston, they don't have a clue.

These towers in Atlanta are either next to vacant lots or 1-2 story buildings. This creates a stark contrast, and a neighborhood where no one really lives. No one really lives inside Atlanta (Atlanta is now Lenox Square).

You are particular.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know. I am nutz. But I am very fond of many other Boston towers, particularly One Lincoln Street, which reminds me a little of the building on the cover of Atlas Shrugged. I'm eager to see it with the State Street sign. I certainly love the Hancock Tower and 111.

Archived