GERALD R. FORD INT'L AIRPORT EXPANSION

metrogrkid

I CANNOT believe that the Kent County Board of Aeronatics cannot see the IDEAL footprint for a world-class expansion of Ford Airport right in front of their faces :blink: !!!! You can see it for yourself (or have already) if you have ever driven around the interior loop of the airport roadway that surrounds the huge at-grade long-term and short-term parking lots. THAT VERY LOT - hello - needs to be the footprint for both a massive underground parking ramp AND a massive three-to-four-level expansion of the terminal on top of the ramp (call it the West Terminal for now) including the eastern terminus for the planned mass transit rail system being planned to connect the airport to the proposed stations at (from east to west): Aerotech Business Park, Woodland Mall, Calvin College, Breton Village, the soon-to-be-renovated Gaslight Village, Spectrum-Blodgett, Eastown, Aquinas College, Davenport College, Spectrum-Butterworth, DeVos Place and finally to the bus/rail system hub at Central Station.

Though this is an IDEAL connecting of some of the primary super-regional destinations of the central metro area, even more important is that Ford Airport NOT squander its need and opportunity for expansion by not taking into account the aforementioned and quite apparent site it has for expansion and for linking its operations to the planned mass transit rail system. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT THIS WOULD DO TO AIRPORT USE, MASS TRANSIT USE AND SELECTION OF GRAND RAPIDS AND ITS DEVOS PLACE AS A MAJOR CONVENTION DESTINATION :huh: ? I DARE YOU - I DOUBLE DARE YOU!!!! The thought is absolutely staggering . . . .

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read yesterday that airport officials are about ready to ink the deal for a ramp, but it did not sound like it is underground. They also said they will be adding more gates due to the number of larger jets that airlines are adding (in place of regional jets) because of the number of passengers in and out of the airport.

I heard JetBlue has plans of adding routes to GRR. That would be nice to get a good discount carrier. Southwest would be nice too but I think it will take a few years for us to show up on their radar.

As far as mass transit, I still think they'll go the bus route and not light rail. Unfortunate but I don't think they'll shell out the cash to buy the right of ways...

Joe

Joe:

I have a surprise revelation for you on this one: I'M ON THE STEERING COMMITTEE FOR THE RAIL PROJECT - IT'S CODE NAMED "GREAT TRANSIT GRAND TOMORROWS" or GT2. Trust me when I say that my committee peers are "less than icy" about a bus corridor as opposed to rail - especially with U.S. Rep. Vern Ehlers (SAID: GR HOMEBOY) being the head of Appropriations for Federal Mass Transit Projects. Shhhh - don't mention this to our Detroit bretheren; they may see this as an "unfair advantage" for Metro GR since they "never have received any type of unfair advantage before" :rofl: .

Cheers

I read yesterday that airport officials are about ready to ink the deal for a ramp, but it did not sound like it is underground. They also said they will be adding more gates due to the number of larger jets that airlines are adding (in place of regional jets) because of the number of passengers in and out of the airport.

I heard JetBlue has plans of adding routes to GRR. That would be nice to get a good discount carrier. Southwest would be nice too but I think it will take a few years for us to show up on their radar.

As far as mass transit, I still think they'll go the bus route and not light rail. Unfortunate but I don't think they'll shell out the cash to buy the right of ways...

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good for you Metro. Give 'em hell! Light Rail is definitely my preference. Even though we have one of the top bus systems in the U.S. I wouldn't wait for a bus. I just hope the committee can act fast and start buying right of ways (east-west and north-south shouldn't be a problem, it is going through town that should cause some headaches). I also think they should consider going all the way to Allendale to hit Grand Valley but that might be more money than is available.

Please keep us updated on any happenings. I think most people in Grand Rapids like the idea of light rail but don't think it will ever become a reality.

Joe

Metro...

Keep up the good work...and please keep us posted on what is going on with GT2 :thumbsup:

Joe:

I have a surprise revelation for you on this one: I'M ON THE STEERING COMMITTEE FOR THE RAIL PROJECT - IT'S CODE NAMED "GREAT TRANSIT GRAND TOMORROWS" or GT2.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard that too, but honestly, I dont want Southwest here. Especially with Grand Rapid's girthlines, no one would use em! :P (southwest is strict about its policy of making "overweight" people buy two seats

Archived