Greenwood

motonenterprises

Should it be tied in with Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson area?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be tied in with Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson area?

• Yes
    • No

When I lived in Greenwood I traveled to Greenville for shopping, business, etc. I think it should be apart of the Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson area instead of being isolated by itself. Would be nice if they could run an interstate alongside Hwy 25 like the did I-385 from 276. Your thoughts are appreciated.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been rather busy, so I haven't had a chance to check up on things here yet ;)

Greenwood is in the Upstate, there is no question about that. I think that Greenwood is more independant than you give it credit for. I've been through there many times (though not downtown) and it seems like a nice place.

It might interest you to know that Greenwood is its own Micropolitan area. That doesn't mean much except that it is a sizable community on its own.

The problem is that to "tie in" Greenwood requires that more people commute to Greenville. That is the only way that can happen, at least in terms of the census. It doesn't really matter how many people shop there.

It is definately part of the Upstate community, and I think that as you see Greenville grow, it will start to influence Greenwood and the area will eventually merge. I see no reason why Greenwood County can't be in the Greenville-Anderson CSA by the next census. When I get back to my dorm I will post the stats on Greenwood County.

I don't think that it would sprawl between Greenwood and Greenville, because most of it is residential; but definetly could be way wrong. The reason I mentioned the question is because myself, family members, and friends traveled to Greenville so much to do business, shopping, etc.

I absolutely agree that Greenwood should have a much closer tie to the rest of the Upstate. Greenwood is a great asset to Greenville and Anderson for sure. A few of my fellow-students here in G-ville are from Greenwood, and let's not forget that there are people from GSA who work at the huge FujiFilm plant down there. :)

I've traveled the tween stretch of U.S. Hwy 25 numerous times in the past and think that there isn't much land left along that road for urban sprawl. I also agree that the state should create a freeway from I-85 to and around Greenwood, because if you travel 25 much, you'll notice how many trucks use that route. This would also cut the trip in half, if not shorter. :)

Do Greenwood residents interact much with the Augusta area? I'm just asking because its almost exactly halfway between Augusta and Greenville... As for the possibility of merging, I don't see that happening for a long time... Its just too rural between the cities, and Greenwood is barely growing. I wouldn't mind however, seeing a freeway from Augusta to Greenville, with stops in Greenwood... Highway 25 is a boring, boring drive...

Good points... I haven't been through there since the 25 road widening was completed, so I bet that helps a lot, as well as the fact that Greenville just has more choices, especially concerts/theatre... It seems like the distances to the sprawl of the 2 metros is comparable, but theres probably nothing within the sprawl that can't already be found in Greenwood...

Greenwood is definitely in a class that is separate from Greenville, Spartanburg, and Anderson. When my fiancee lived up there, I traveled many times from Columbia and got there by Highway 72. Talk about a highway widening project that is excruciatingly slow...they have been widening Hwy 72 for 4-5 years and it still is incomplete. I do think that an interstate highway needs to be built connecting I-26 and I-85 that goes directly through Greenwood, because the city desperately needs it. For not having an interstate, it has a so-so economy, but with better access to it, Greenwood would experience a boom.

But it definitely should experience that boom as its own area.

Archived