NYC 2012, WHY?

rbdetsport

Should Detroit put in a bid for the 2016 olympics and what should they do to get one?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should Detroit put in a bid for the 2016 olympics and what should they do to get one?

• Yes, but have to share the games with Windsor, more shops.
    • Yes, need to fix up all of the "dinosaur buildings"
    • No, they have no chance
    • Not Ready at all. City does not have enough money.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The city tried repeatedly to get the games in the 1950s and 1960s. Had the U.S. been chosen as the host country for the 1968 games, Detroit would have been the city. Detroit is not ready for the Olympics. The city would have to build a rail system to transport visitors. It would also have to have hotel rooms - and lots of them. The city barely has enough for the Super Bowl, let alone the Olympics. And we can't forget places for the athletes to perform! The city does not have the cash to do all this. Detroit might be ready for the Olympics in another 30 years or so (if everything goes right).

No I think Detroit should avoid it. The Olympics have become nothing but big giveaways to the corporations and individuals in the IOC. More times than not, being an Olympic city causes major disruptions to the residents, promises of prosperity do not occur, and the local taxpayers are left with hugh debt to pay off.

Running in 2016 would be a waste of time, if NYC gets it in 2012. The Olympics are rarely held in the same country back-to-back. Even fif it was, Detroit would face heavy competition against cities, such as San Franisco, that competed early on against NYC, before being eliminated. Save your money and apply it to better things.

Any city has a chance people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The International Olympic Committee does not give the Olympics to any city. Olympic committee members were not sure that Detroit was stable enough to host the Olympics in the 1960s. Today the city is even more unstable. The city has a massive budget defecit. The city can't even provide its citizens with basic services, let alone host hundreds of thousands of people for an entire month while the games are going on. As optimistic as I like to be about the city, I really can't see the city getting awarded the Olympic games anytime in the foreseeable future.

Actually no, I still think the city could go either way. I try to be optimistic, but this is Detroit we're talking about. We keep taking two steps forward and one step backward. Or is it one step forward and two steps backward?

I Think Detroit deserves them too, but there are others citys that deserve them as well, I feel there are city that should get them first like Chicago or Boston, i think Chicago has a great chance and if Boston did bid i dont see them not getting the olympics, but i just dont see Detroit getting them yet.

I think they need to share it with windsor and have the Detroit-Windsor games, so the expenses and imcome could be shared to make both cities richer. Also the divided payment would save Detroit some money for construction projects, and transportation projects.

• 2 weeks later...

Detroit + Olympics = Psychological/financial disaster.

EDIT: Haha, I didn't even read the pole. I have more to add.

-There will be no more dinosaur buildings to fix up, they will be extinct.

-Parking will "even more than ever" not be a problem in the CBD

-The rail system would never get built, thus we would look stupid in front of the world.

-How are we going to share the games with Windsor? I don't even want to think about the issues of large crowds going back and forth over the border. Will our "War on Terror" be done by 2012

I just got back from a hard exam. Sorry.

Detroit + Olympics = Psychological/financial disaster.

EDIT:  Haha, I didn't even read the pole.  I have more to add. 

-There will be no more dinosaur buildings to fix up, they will be extinct.

-Parking will "even more than ever" not be a problem in the CBD

-The rail system would never get built, thus we would look stupid in front of the world.

-How are we going to share the games with Windsor?  I don't even want to think about the issues of large crowds going back and forth over the border.  Will our "War on Terror" be done by 2012

I just got back from a hard exam.  Sorry.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HAHAHAHAHA.....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pre-9/11 Detroit could have hosted it with Windsor but not now. Well if Detroit had had its act together it could have been a possiblity. Actually the idea of two countries hosting is sort of cool but that will never happen now.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am rooting for speedy revival of Detroit. Just as Allan said, as much as we love and care for this city ..... it doesn't seem to heal the wounds of years gone by. "X number of steps forward, Y number of steps backwards. Y number of steps forward, Z number of steps backwards." It will require a whole lot to take the city of Detroit from its current 2005 state to an Olympic-standard state.

Detroit-Windsor joint effort may not be such a bad idea. The FIFA World Cup was jointly held in Japan and Korea in 2002. So, a global event can indeed occur with sufficient planning and implementations.

Speaking of a comeback city for Olympics, I was in Atlanta in the summer of 1993. The neighborhoods around Georgia Tech were worn out and crummy. I was visiting a friend there and it didn't even take 20 minutes for my car to get keyed. Yet, the transformation took place and by the time summer 1996 arrived, Atlanta was ready for the world. The city, the colleges and the corporate entities came together hand-in-hand to clean up every corner of the city in preparation for the event.

If Atlanta, which wasn't in such a wonderful shape pre-1996 could do it within 2-3 years, it is certainly mathematically possible for Detroit to do it in 11-15 years. Learning from these other cities in the United States and in foreign countires will be the ultimate step to take if Detroit intends to contend. I may end up being disappointed, but even if there is a 0.001 chance of doing something grand like the Olympics I will keep the faith alive. :)

By the way, how come I can't use PM. Can anybody help me out ? It says, "The error returned was: You are not allowed to use the messenger feature on this board"

Archived