Meet Little Rock, Arkansas

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me make sure I'm reading the map correctly. There's the city of Hot Springs, and a county named Hot Spring. Hot Springs, the city, is not located in Hot Spring county, but the county in which the city of Hot Springs is located (Garland) is adjacent to the county of Hot Spring?

It's also interesting to see how many counties in Arkansas share the names of other counties and cities/towns elsewhere. For example, SC also has Calhoun, Union, and Lee counties and cities named Conway, Columbia, Marion, and Union. I know that NC has Clay, Cleveland, Franklin, Lee, Lincoln, Polk, and Randolph counties and cities named Boone, Dallas, Monroe (which is in Union county), and Newton.

Hot Springs used to be within Hot Spring County. Garland County was carved out of Hot Spring County post-civil war.

• 2 weeks later...

Warren Stephens' private Alotian Club golf course near Little Rock is Golf Digest magazine's best new golf course of 2005, marking the first time an Arkansas course has won the honor.

The exclusive club is a 7,470-yard par 72. It opened in 2004.

The magazine goes on to say that Alotian won not because of those subtle touches but because of its incredible design.

Also on the list: The Blessing Golf Club in Johnson, a private course created by Tyson Foods Inc. CEO John Tyson. The exclusive club is a 7,530-yard par 72.

So does anyone in the central Arkansas are have anything to say about the Alltel news? I've heard some talk of this but guess I didn't quite catch on. So Alltel could be moving their headquarters? Where are they located now and why are they considering moving?

So does anyone in the central Arkansas are have anything to say about the Alltel news? I've heard some talk of this but guess I didn't quite catch on. So Alltel could be moving their headquarters? Where are they located now and why are they considering moving?

Alltel merged with Valor Communications of Irving, TX. Alltel will spin off Valor and its own wireline services as a new company based in Central Arkansas at offices Alltel currently controls rather than its large HQs in Riverdale near downtown. The Alltel wireless division will remain in its current HQs complex as Alltel. Alltel has been trying to spin off its rural wireless division for some time.

Here is the main campus, which should retain the Alltel name and the wireless division.

lr_campus.jpg

• 1 month later...

Yesterday Mayor Daily issued his State of the City speech for 2006. One of the first things in the address was a thank you to Warren Stephnes and the citizens of NLR for the new ball park "in our downtown." Does this mean the Mayor of LR sees the downtowns of Little Rock and North Little Rock one downtown?

He stated in 2006 LR will see the opening of Heirfer International and a Mexican consulate office.(To be located by UALR.) The Mayor also gave some interesting figures for last year. He noted that hotel room revenue was up 21% and River Market Hall and the Farmers Market had 995,365 visitors.

Yesterday Mayor Daily issued his State of the City speech for 2006. One of the first things in the address was a thank you to Warren Stephnes and the citizens of NLR for the new ball park "in our downtown." Does this mean the Mayor of LR sees the downtowns of Little Rock and North Little Rock one downtown?

He stated in 2006 LR will see the opening of Heirfer International and a Mexican consulate office.(To be located by UALR.) The Mayor also gave some interesting figures for last year. He noted that hotel room revenue was up 21% and River Market Hall and the Farmers Market had 995,365 visitors.

I suppose some people might like like him referring to the cities like this. But I think it's good to try to get people to start thinking of the cities as one entity. It would make it easier for a possible merger one day.

This past Saturday night I had sometime to spend driving around downtown LR. George Strait was at Alltel Arena so I went over to the Northside to check out the parking. I drove past where the new ball park will be and all parking spots were taken from there to Alltel. Downtown Argenta on Main St. had a number of people enjoying their restaurants. The River Market was busy as usual and prople were riding the trolley. Third street is being dug up for trolley expansion.

On Main Street the Rep was open. The Lafayette Square project is sporting new banners in the windows. It will be nice to see it completed. Over on 7th the Easy St. was open and doing business. Down 7th Vino's had it's usual happening and I noticed the building east of there had under gone some rehab and is now home to an art supply store. Across Chester from Vino's the Weekend Theater also had something going on.

As you can see there are a number of things to do on a Saturday night in downtown Little Rock. I did not have time to check out other places in the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pic skirby. Is that the bus terminal? I remember walking somewhat close to this area I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking at around this area.

It's the city's main downtown bus terminal.

There used to be a big problem with drugs and prostitution in some of the older, run-down downtown hotels and motels. there were 3 of them at the site where that terminal now sits. Building it improved the area 1000%. The last really sketchy hotel, a much larger one called the Little Rock Inn, was recently torn down for parking. This is probably the ONLY time I like to see a large building come down to make room for a parking lot in downtown. Hopefully it can be redeveloped later when downtown revival spreads more Southwest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is an awesome thread. Thanks for sharing this info with everyone. I think Little Rock is definitely well on its way to becoming even more of a destination. It's always been somewhat of a destination, being the capitol of Arkansas and being such a pretty place, but now with the Clinton library and other projects, it's becoming a true overall destination.

• 3 weeks later...

I took a suprise visit to Little Rock this weekend to view the city. I got to say, WOW what a great vibrant city. I saw the Clinton Library, even took a visit inside of it, quite nice. As well, I viewed Heifer International, the Submarine at the Arkansas Maritime Museum, even saw the 300 Third Building under construction, as well as the other one next to the Double Tree. I was extremly impressed with the River Market District and the Intersection by Metropolitan National Bank Building, both made me feel like I was in Austin or something.

Great City.

I took a suprise visit to Little Rock this weekend to view the city. I got to say, WOW what a great vibrant city. I saw the Clinton Library, even took a visit inside of it, quite nice. As well, I viewed Heifer International, the Submarine at the Arkansas Maritime Museum, even saw the 300 Third Building under construction, as well as the other one next to the Double Tree. I was extremly impressed with the River Market District and the Intersection by Metropolitan National Bank Building, both made me feel like I was in Austin or something.

Great City.

Sweetness.

It's come a long way, and it's going unbelievable places. So is its younger cousin, North Little Rock. I can't wait to become part of the community....

• 4 weeks later...

With the mention of Little Rock potentially losing some of its Fortune 500 companies, as well as the mention of Wal-Mart once considering a move to Dallas, I am reminded of Fed Ex. Several years ago Federal Express was conceived and started in Little Rock. Federal Express approached the City of Little Rock and requested that certain upgrades and expansions be made to the LR airport. The City forefathers were reluctant to accomodate them and Federal Express soon moved it's headquarters and primary operations to Memphis, TN. Had the City accomodated their needs at the time, Federal Express could likely still be headquarted in Little Rock today.

With the mention of Little Rock potentially losing some of its Fortune 500 companies, as well as the mention of Wal-Mart once considering a move to Dallas, I am reminded of Fed Ex. Several years ago Federal Express was conceived and started in Little Rock. Federal Express approached the City of Little Rock and requested that certain upgrades and expansions be made to the LR airport. The City forefathers were reluctant to accomodate them and Federal Express soon moved it's headquarters and primary operations to Memphis, TN. Had the City accomodated their needs at the time, Federal Express could likely still be headquarted in Little Rock today.

My mother used to work at FedEx's progenitor, Little Rock Aeromotive. That's very true. Part of the problem was apparently that LR's airport being so close to the airport would've made it difficult and expensive to expand the airport to suit their needs. Memphis had a huge amount of empty space including runways and hangars in their airport because it had served as a military facility at one point. It made sense at the time but in hindsight LR is obviously kicking itself.

• 1 month later...

My mother used to work at FedEx's progenitor, Little Rock Aeromotive. That's very true. Part of the problem was apparently that LR's airport being so close to the airport would've made it difficult and expensive to expand the airport to suit their needs. Memphis had a huge amount of empty space including runways and hangars in their airport because it had served as a military facility at one point. It made sense at the time but in hindsight LR is obviously kicking itself.

I wonder and often dream what it would take to get FedEx to move back to Little Rock?

• 2 weeks later...

Something I've been curious about - the 2000 census showed LR had a Hispanic population of 2.3%.

Driving around Southwest LR - Chicot, Baseline, 65th, Geyer Springs, etc you see a number of Hispanic businesses. The busboys and dishwashers anywhere are Hispanic now and many of the construction workers as well. LR's not Dallas or even Rogers or Springdale yet but it seems like there is a significant upturn in Hispanic population. I would be that number is more like 6-7% now and that LR has grown more than the census suggests - more like 190-193k or so than 185k. I think with the Mexican consulate going into LR you'll see the Hispanic population of LR start to approach the national average of 12.5% over the next 5-10 years and Hispanics will fuel most of the city's growth. I also think you'll see the first largely Hispanic neighborhoods in Central Arkansas emerge in SWLR.

Something I've been curious about - the 2000 census showed LR had a Hispanic population of 2.3%.

Driving around Southwest LR - Chicot, Baseline, 65th, Geyer Springs, etc you see a number of Hispanic businesses. The busboys and dishwashers anywhere are Hispanic now and many of the construction workers as well. LR's not Dallas or even Rogers or Springdale yet but it seems like there is a significant upturn in Hispanic population. I would be that number is more like 6-7% now and that LR has grown more than the census suggests - more like 190-193k or so than 185k. I think with the Mexican consulate going into LR you'll see the Hispanic population of LR start to approach the national average of 12.5% over the next 5-10 years and Hispanics will fuel most of the city's growth. I also think you'll see the first largely Hispanic neighborhoods in Central Arkansas emerge in SWLR.

Seems like you always hear people say that the Census Bureau doesn't ever accurately account for enough of the Hispanics. I suppose this could apply just as well to Little Rock. I have heard a lot in the recent years about Little Rock becoming the next city in the south to have big Hispanic growth. I've been curious to see if it does end up happening.

Archived