Meet Little Rock, Arkansas

Another question.  How is the growth of hispanics in Little Rock?  I have heard some people talk of the possibility of Little Rock becoming a nice hispanic city for the south.  I'm pretty sure we've had a little more hispanic growth up here in northwest Arkansas but of course no 'real' cities up here either.  So we don't tend to get some of the attention that say the hispanic growth in Little Rock would.  Has it slowed down any there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, there is a very small Hispanic population in the Little Rock metro. As of the 2000 census, our MSA was only 2.1% Hispanic. You really don't see too many Hispanics out and about here. Little Rock is really still a black/white town.

As for the convention, I've read that Bill Clinton personally pitched Little Rock to them by using the new Clinton Library as a selling point.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, there is a very small Hispanic population in the Little Rock metro. As of the 2000 census, our MSA was only 2.1% Hispanic. You really don't see too many Hispanics out and about here. Little Rock is really still a black/white town.

As for the convention, I've read that Bill Clinton personally pitched Little Rock to them by using the new Clinton Library as a selling point.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we have had more hispanics move into our area but it's also more noticable because there is a smaller base population. It also probably stands out because until recently most of northwest Arkansas was mainly white.

But NW arkansas has wal-mart  :lol: . And well, Walmart is just a friggin unstoppable powerhouse (we mustn't forget Tyson and JB Hunt and U of A).  The GDP of Wal-Mart is bigger than that of Switzerland, and it's just a company based in Arkansas!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One good advantage that the companies in northwest Arkansas have is that they are large enough and powerful enough to not have to worry much about any takeovers. I have heard the talk about Axciom trying to be forcefully taken over. I have also heard some talks that Altell might eventually have to merge with someone to stay competive. Would the loss of either or both companies be a big hit to Little Rock and it's economy?

Since I noticed California has had another earthquake. Would a majot earthquake on the New Madrid fault affect Little Rock much? I'd hate to think what will happen to Jonesboro or Memphis if there is another major quake like in the early 1800's.

Since I noticed California has had another earthquake.  Would a majot earthquake on the New Madrid fault affect Little Rock much?  I'd hate to think what will happen to Jonesboro or Memphis if there is another major quake like in the early 1800's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know for sure, but I bet Little Rock is far enough away to be spared any serious damage. I found a lilnk that doesn't sound so good for Memphis. Here is an excerpt: "The next time the New Madrid Fault produces such a quake, it is estimated 60 percent of memphis will be devastated, leaving $50 Billion in damage and thousands of dead in its wake." :o . New Madrid earthquake.

I don't know for sure, but I bet Little Rock is far enough away to be spared any serious damage. I found a lilnk that doesn't sound so good for Memphis. Here is an excerpt: "The next time the New Madrid Fault produces such a quake, it is estimated 60 percent of memphis will be devastated, leaving $50 Billion in damage and thousands of dead in its wake."  :o . New Madrid earthquake.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At least with Little Rock being at the edge of the Ouachitas would probably help. Those areas in eastern Arkansas with all that deep soil would really cause a lot of problems. I'm also doubtful many buildings in eastern Arkansas or western Tennessee are made to handle much of an earthquake.

On the news a few weeks ago, they were talking about the recent amount of activity in NE Arkansas. Here's the article from KATV:

Experts to Meet on Arkansas Earthquakes

Wednesday May 25, 2005 12:37pm

Instant Message this Article

___ KATV Interact ___

On the news a few weeks ago, they were talking about the recent amount of activity in NE Arkansas.  Here's the article from KATV:

Experts to Meet on Arkansas Earthquakes

Wednesday May 25, 2005 12:37pm

Instant Message this Article

___  KATV Interact  ___

Definitely, and the silt doesn't help much either.

Look at this:

intensity.gif

According to this, if there were an 8.0 on the Richter scale, Little Rock would experience the same trembles as Atlanta, western SC and NC, etc. The weird geography of the Ouachitas seems to have a huge effect (east-west?).

Tennessee has a lot of major cities in the path. And of course, there are few here and there scattered around: Jackson, Saint Louis, etc.

A lot of it depends on how deep and what kind of soil you have. I just thought that being close to the Ouachitas would keep your soil thickness down, except at the river. The Ozarks also help cut that down quite a bit, because the bedrock is rather close to the surface. Sorry to have derailed our subject here.

Oops, I posted this in another Little Rock topic, but it fits in over here a little better. back when they built the TCBY Tower, now it's the Metropolitan Bank Building I think, they said it was the tallest building between Dallas and St Louis. Although I guess there's not too many cities really between those two. I was just curious how it compared to buildings in other nearby cities. Tulsa has some rather tall buildings. But I've never heard any details on them or the ones in Little Rock on height or anything. I haven't been to Memphis in over a decade. But I don't remember them having many tall buildings. Anyone have any details?

Oops, I posted this in another Little Rock topic, but it fits in over here a little better.  back when they built the TCBY Tower, now it's the Metropolitan Bank Building I think, they said it was the tallest building between Dallas and St Louis.  Although I guess there's not too many cities really between those two.  I was just curious how it compared to buildings in other nearby cities.  Tulsa has some rather tall buildings.  But I've never heard any details on them or the ones in Little Rock on hight or anything.  I haven't been to Memphis in over a decade.  But I don't remember them having many tall buildings.  Anyone have any details?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I looked this up a few months ago. The skyscraper is taller than anything in Memphis. Tulsa has a tall building, One Williams Center, that eclipses our tower by 100 feet (650 vs 550)

I looked this up a few months ago.  The skyscraper is taller than anything in Memphis.  Tulsa has a tall building, One Williams Center, that eclipses our tower by 100 feet (650 vs 550)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I had thought. I didn't think Memphis had much. I know Tulsa had some pretty tall ones. I figured they are pretty close or taller than Little Rock's.

• 2 weeks later...

Some projects in Little Rock that have not been covered.

Arkansas Capital Commerence Center is a mixed use development with sixteen condominiums on the top two floors.

CapitolCommerceBldg1.jpg

Acxiom building across I-30 from the Clinton Library.

AcxiomBldg3.jpg

Alltel office buildings in Riverdale, just upstream from downtown.

1.jpg

If you visit Little Rock park in the River Market parking deck and drive to the roof. You will be almost across the street from the Commerence Center and Acxiom buildings. Also, you can get a very good 360 view of downtown Little Rock from there.

One good advantage that the companies in northwest Arkansas have is that they are large enough and powerful enough to not have to worry much about any takeovers.  I have heard the talk about Axciom trying to be forcefully taken over.  I have also heard some talks that Altell might eventually have to merge with someone to stay competive.  Would the loss of either or both companies be a big hit to Little Rock and it's economy?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

from okcbusiness:

Alltel has announced it has reached an agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice related to the company's pending merger with Western Wireless Corporation.

According to Alltel, it and Western Wireless will complete the merger later this summer, pending receipt of approvals from the FCC, the U.S. federal district court in Washington, D.C., and Western Wireless' stockholders.

from okcbusiness:

Alltel has announced it has reached an agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice related to the company's pending merger with Western Wireless Corporation.

According to Alltel, it and Western Wireless will complete the merger later this summer, pending receipt of approvals from the FCC, the U.S. federal district court in Washington, D.C., and Western Wireless' stockholders.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought Alltel was acquiring Western Wireless, not merging. What's the difference anyways...? There isn't a possibilty Alltel would move, is there?

Yeah from all that I've heard Alltel is the largest and more dominant of the two. So I don't think there would be too many changes even if it is a merger. Although I did get the impression that it was Alltel buying them out. Maybe that's an Arkansas perspective. I have wondered what would happen so a company like Alltel or Axciom got bought out and was moved out of Little Rock. How big of a hit would it be?

Yeah from all that I've heard Alltel is the largest and more dominant of the two.  So I don't think there would be too many changes even if it is a merger.  Although I did get the impression that it was Alltel buying them out.  Maybe that's an Arkansas perspective.  I have wondered what would happen so a company like Alltel or Axciom got bought out and was moved out of Little Rock.  How big of a hit would it be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pretty big, especially since there are only a small amount of major companies in Little Rock.

Well, compared to the fricken mammoths in NW Arkansas. :blush:

I think this is the same company that has been wanting to buy out Axciom before. But ValueAct has officially made it known the want to buy the company. It comes on the news that Axciom profits are down and they are going to cut jobs. Anyone think this will happen? Like I said I believe someone has been interested in buying them out before but they weren't interested. Could this end up being a possible hostile takeover?

I think this is the same company that has been wanting to buy out Axciom before.  But ValueAct has officially made it known the want to buy the company.  It comes on the news that Axciom profits are down and they are going to cut jobs.  Anyone think this will happen?  Like I said I believe someone has been interested in buying them out before but they weren't interested.  Could this end up being a possible hostile takeover?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it will, sadly.... there just seems to be a really negative vibe coming out of that company with job losses etc.

I think it will, sadly.... there just seems to be a really negative vibe coming out of that company with job losses etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess then the question becomes, what happens to everything based in Arkansas? Will they keep things open and maybe just scale things back some, or would they possibly consider closing it down and consolidating it with it's headquarters (I think possibly somewhere in Cal)?

I guess then the question becomes, what happens to everything based in Arkansas?  Will they keep things open and maybe just scale things back some, or would they possibly consider closing it down and consolidating it with it's headquarters (I think possibly somewhere in Cal)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be a very nice building to waste. I'm not sure if they would just pack up and go...

Archived