Meet Little Rock, Arkansas

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah from all that I've heard Alltel is the largest and more dominant of the two.  So I don't think there would be too many changes even if it is a merger.  Although I did get the impression that it was Alltel buying them out.  Maybe that's an Arkansas perspective.  I have wondered what would happen so a company like Alltel or Axciom got bought out and was moved out of Little Rock.  How big of a hit would it be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alltel today announced the Federal Communications Commission has approved its merger with Western Wireless Corporation.

Little Rock, Ark.-based Alltel recently acquired all of AT&T's wireless assets in the Oklahoma City market, as well.

Last week, the U.S. Justice Department approved the Alltel-Western Wireless merger contingent upon the divesting of 16 markets in Arkansas, Kansas and Nebraska now owned and operated by Western Wireless. According to Alltel, the divestiture includes all the assets - licenses, retail stores, employees and cell sites - used to operate the CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) wireless business in those markets.

The company also will divest the Cellular One brand that is owned by Western Wireless, Alltel indicates on its Web site.

Alltel President and CEO Scott Ford said of the merger, "This transaction should provide Alltel with the opportunity to deliver greater value, innovation and service to our customers across the country."

Western Wireless has scheduled a shareholder vote on the merger for July 29, and the companies expect to close the merger shortly thereafter, Ford added.

Alltel, according to company reports, has more than 13 million customers in 27 states and generates $8 billion in annual revenues.

july 12 okcbusiness

Apparently the Little Rock metro was ranked number five in the Expansion Management magazine in the best tax and financial management environment area. The same magazine listed the Little Rock metro number 48 in their list of America's 50 hottest cities.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a time when there were rumors that Wal-Mart was going to move to Dallas. Virtually all other companies of this size would locate themselves in a major metro with a big airport years ago. I don't think the current managment would dream of moving the company but I can only imagine what something like that would do the NWA economy if it happened in 10, 20, or even 30 years.

There was a time when there were rumors that Wal-Mart was going to move to Dallas.  Virtually all other companies of this size would locate themselves in a major metro with a big airport years ago.  I don't think the current managment would dream of moving the company but I can only imagine what something like that would do the NWA economy if it happened in 10, 20, or even 30 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never heard any of those rumors. But I had wondered if some drastic changes would occur right after Sam Walton's death. We do have some nice companies up here but Wal-mart is easily the main driving factor up here. It would be a huge loss if it ever did move.

NWA would pretty much collapse w/o wal-mart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know if the whole area would. I think Fayetteville and Springdale would do alright. But Benton County would probably be in bad shape. Obviously it would have an effect down here too of course. At least the area of real estate, there would suddenly be plenty of houses available. The way things are going now, as soon as they build a house it's usually there for less than a week before it's been bought.

from okcbusiness:

Alltel has announced it has reached an agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice related to the company's pending merger with Western Wireless Corporation.

According to Alltel, it and Western Wireless will complete the merger later this summer, pending receipt of approvals from the FCC, the U.S. federal district court in Washington, D.C., and Western Wireless' stockholders.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's an update on the merger, and it's good news for Little Rock. Alltel has announced that it will add 130 jobs to its headquarters in Little Rock becuase of the merger with Western Wireless. Once again, I got the scoop from Arkansas Business. Here's the link.

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of companies being bought up, Beverly Nursing Homes which has been the lifeblood of Ft Smith in recent years is probably going to be purchased very soon and is amid hostile takeover attempts. This would have a tremendous negative impact for Ft Smith as that town, unlike Benton Co, is primarily blue collar and this provided a stable of white collar jobs.

Speaking of companies being bought up, Beverly Nursing Homes which has been the lifeblood of Ft Smith in recent years is probably going to be purchased very soon and is amid hostile takeover attempts.  This would have a tremendous negative impact for Ft Smith as that town, unlike Benton Co, is primarily blue collar and this provided a stable of white collar jobs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I almost mentioned this earlier. From what I heard of the first company trying to buy them out is that they'd keep the hq in FT Smith. But of course who knows what would be in store further down the road.

I almost mentioned this earlier.  From what I heard of the first company trying to buy them out is that they'd keep the hq in FT Smith.  But of course who knows what would be in store further down the road.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course everyone always SAYS that but I just can't imagine that they would considering it's in such a remote place. Corporate HQs really like to have a major airport nearby, which is why so many companies relocated to Dallas and Atlanta. The weird thing is that Beverly was the largest private nursing home company for as long as I remember, it's not usual that you see the largest company in a field bought out. I know they had some lawsuits hit them hard but I thought they had those costs contained.

Of course everyone always SAYS that but I just can't imagine that they would considering it's in such a remote place.  Corporate HQs really like to have a major airport nearby, which is why so many companies relocated to Dallas and Atlanta.  The weird thing is that Beverly was the largest private nursing home company for as long as I remember, it's not usual that you see the largest company in a field bought out.  I know they had some lawsuits hit them hard but I thought they had those costs contained.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I thought that too. They might keep it there for a while but I wouldn't be surprised to see it moved eventually. I've gotten the impression that Beverly hasn't been doing too well. I don't think they ever got back on their feet after those lawsuits.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would post some photos of LR/NLR.

Looking East down Capitol Ave. at Broadway.

20051109image00170li.jpg

Acxiom Building from in front of the Arkansas Capital Commerce Center.

20051109image00022tt.jpg

Looking west from the southside of the Clinton Center on 3rd Street.

20051109image00084hf.jpg

Looking north from the same spot at the Clinton Library and old railway bridge.

20051109image00102ws.jpg

Again looking west down the middle of 3rd St. You can see the trolley rails on either side of the street. They are for the Phase II expansion.

20051109image00114zs.jpg

The trolley in NLR passing the Argenta Square apartments.

20051109image00014lb.jpg

Nice pics Skirby. I also saw your pics in the other Little Rock topic also. It's nice to see a better look at Little Rock for those of us who aren't particularly close. I guess some of us here in northwest should also try to get some pics going for our area also. Once again Skirby good job. :D

Other photos of downtown Little Rock:

View of Main St. looking south from Capitol. The buildings on the right will be part of the Lafayette Square redevelopment.

20051112image00036lf.jpg

Looking north on Main.

20051112image00045ku.jpg

Looking east on 2nd between Scott and Main.

20051112image00118nx.jpg

Looking west on 2nd between Scott and Main.

20051112image00106fm.jpg

Looking north on Louisana from 2nd at the Peabody.

20051112image00125zr.jpg

Looking west on 2nd west of Louisana.

20051112image00135qw.jpg

Another view of the Peabody from Markham. Also, the Statehouse Convention Center and the building on the left is the Block 2 Lofts.

20051112image00078is.jpg

Looking east on Markham towards the River Market. This is where the trolley turns north to go over the Main St. bridge.

20051112image00059ss.jpg

Yes very nice Skirby. I am reminded once again that I really should get off my butt and go take some pics around Fayetteville to post on the forum also. Although I don't think game day and homecoming for that matter, is the best way to get around the city.

• 1 month later...

It has been hailed by many architecture groups as a unique and revolutionary design.

Those who claim it looks like a trailor are those who never liked Clinton to begin with.

I'm a longtime Clinton partisan (pro), but I have to admit I don't like the style of the building; the first thing that I and almost everyone I know thought when the plans were first pitched was that "it looks like a triple-wide". That would be perfectly in line with our sense of humor in Central Arkansas and Clinton's got a good enough sense of humor to do it for just that reason, but I've come to believe that wasn't the intent. Anyway, opinions on the architecture aside, I'm very glad it's here. It is time folks realized what Little Rock has to offer and, in response to the last post concerning Memphis, it's about time the two main cities of the mid-South started acting in concert with each other.

I'm a longtime Clinton partisan (pro), but I have to admit I don't like the style of the building; the first thing that I and almost everyone I know thought when the plans were first pitched was that "it looks like a triple-wide". That would be perfectly in line with our sense of humor in Central Arkansas and Clinton's got a good enough sense of humor to do it for just that reason, but I've come to believe that wasn't the intent. Anyway, opinions on the architecture aside, I'm very glad it's here. It is time folks realized what Little Rock has to offer and, in response to the last post concerning Memphis, it's about time the two main cities of the mid-South started acting in concert with each other.

Welcome to the Arkansas forum mbrir.

I'm the same way, I understand the whole "bridge to the 21st century" idea but the architect let ideology completely overtake aesthetics and function. I would bet in a couple of decades it looks tragically out of date and is remodeled and expanded.

And I do think it genuinely looks like a double wide.

Archived