Meet Little Rock, Arkansas

2000 Census Numbers for Hispanics in the Little Rock Metro Area are: 12,337.

For Comparison, 2000 Census Numbers for Hispanics in the NWA Metro Area are: 26,401. I think NWA's is around 50,000 by now.

I remember taking a trip to Little Rock this past year and seeing plenty of Hispanics. I always thought that Hispanics were only in the NWA and Ft. Smith area, but I was suprised to see many Hispanic Business's and Hispanics at the Wal-Mart off Cantrell. It's good to see an even greater Cultural Diversity in Little Rock.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2000 Census Numbers for Hispanics in the Little Rock Metro Area are: 12,337.

For Comparison, 2000 Census Numbers for Hispanics in the NWA Metro Area are: 26,401. I think NWA's is around 50,000 by now.

I remember taking a trip to Little Rock this past year and seeing plenty of Hispanics. I always thought that Hispanics were only in the NWA and Ft. Smith area, but I was suprised to see many Hispanic Business's and Hispanics at the Wal-Mart off Cantrell. It's good to see an even greater Cultural Diversity in Little Rock.

Of course before there were any in NWA Hispanics have been in southwest Arkansas for quite a while.

Of course before there were any in NWA Hispanics have been in southwest Arkansas for quite a while.

Yeah. Dequeen, AR for instance has always been nearly 1/2 hispanic. It's obvious why most towns in East and South Arkansas are predomintely African-American, but I'm interested in knowing how Dequeen of all places developed such a large hispanic population...

Yeah. Dequeen, AR for instance has always been nearly 1/2 hispanic. It's obvious why most towns in East and South Arkansas are predomintely African-American, but I'm interested in knowing how Dequeen of all places developed such a large hispanic population...

Census Numbers show Dequeen is around 38% Hispanic. My guess why the city is so hispanic is because it has two processing plants there, Pilgrims Pride employs 1500 there and Tyson employs around 1300.

Census Numbers show Dequeen is around 38% Hispanic. My guess why the city is so hispanic is because it has two processing plants there, Pilgrims Pride employs 1500 there and Tyson employs around 1300.

Danville was the first city in Arkansas to become majority hispanic a few years ago.

Why would a city in that area have that many Hispanics?

There's a Tyson plant there, of course, and it's far and away the major employer. You're right, most of the Hispanic immigration outside of LR is because of poultry plants.

Mith, you're right - it's hard to count Hispanics. Most in Arkansas immigrate illegally and keep a low profile and often several live in one apartment or home where census-takers can't actually measure them. I guarantee you both the NWA and LR numbers are gross underestimates. The other issue is that many live in the U.S. for a few months, return to Mexico for several, and alternate in that fashion.

Lindsay is building another dinky apartment complex and a golf course in Southwest LR near the Eagle Hill development. It should be 312 units and put him over 1000 units in the area.

Another golf course/apartment combo by Lindsay? Now that I think of it, are there any country clubs or golf courses not inside a Lindsay development in the Otter Creek/Bryant/Benton area? (I used to live in Eagle Hill for a short bit)

Another golf course/apartment combo by Lindsay? Now that I think of it, are there any country clubs or golf courses not inside a Lindsay development in the Otter Creek/Bryant/Benton area? (I used to live in Eagle Hill for a short bit)

I can't think of one that far out. Hindman Golf Course and Western Hills Country Club are in Southwest LR a bit closer in. I would think Benton had a country club. Hurricane Lakes doesn't have a golf course, I know.

We as well have a large number of hispanics in Russellville. Its probably because of ConAgra, Tyson and nearby in the town of Atkins at the new Atkins Prepared Foods plant...it seems to me that everytime i go out i see more and more of them lol..

Little Rock is a much larger looking city than I thought. Of course, it's metro area probably adds a lot of extra weight to the city. It certainly is no small town, the skyline looks bigger than any other city in North Carolina other than Charlotte and maybe Raleigh. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

An interesting statistic I read yesterday - 31% of Little Rock children are educated in private schools.

I knew it was high but that's even higher than I would think.

Wow, I guess LR Catholic, Mt. St. Mary, Episcoal Collegiate, Lutheran High, Baptist High, and the Montessori Schools are just a few that contribute to that.

Wow, I guess LR Catholic, Mt. St. Mary, Episcoal Collegiate, Lutheran High, Baptist High, and the Montessori Schools are just a few that contribute to that.

It's amazing how large the private schools are when you really look at it.

Schools with high schools:

LR Catholic (boys) and Mt St Mary's (girls) have 730 and 550 respectively and together are large enough to make AAAAAAA (both 9-12)

Pulaski Academy - 1400 total (K-12)

Central Arkansas Christian (NLR) - 1050 total (K-12)

Little Rock Christian - 1250 total (K-12)

Episcopal Collegiate - 382 (6-12)

Arkansas Baptist - ??? (K-12)

Abundant Life (Sherwood) has 450 students (K-12)

Heritage Christian

Faith Christian

Southwest Christian

Elementary schools:

Catholic (LR):

Christ the King - 650

Holy Souls - 524

St Theresa's

Catholic (NLR):

Immaculate Conception

Immaculate Heart of Mary

Saint Mary's

Saint Patrick's

The Cathedral School (Episcopal)

The Anthony School - 465

Montessori Schools (4 schools in LR, 1 in NLR)

Trinity Heights

Christ Lutheran

Dayspring Christian

Hope Lutheran

Miss Selma's

I'm suprised at these high numbers. Why is it so high?

Is it because it's the only place in the state where a pletheora of private facilites exist? Possibly because of the nice charitable contributions towards the construction of these schools? Or is it because LR is the capitol?

For us, it's none of those reasons. Until the Arkansas public school system can get it's act together and compete with the rest of the country, our daughter will continue to go to private school.

For us, it's none of those reasons. Until the Arkansas public school system can get it's act together and compete with the rest of the country, our daughter will continue to go to private school.

The lastest comparison of 4th grade test score data between public schools to charter schools are inconclusive. There are a lot of news reports about this. Here is the source... http://nces.ed.gov

There are several great public schools in Little Rock.

Private schools don't really have diversity. Schools like PA may have multiple ethnicities, but they all represent the upper economic brackets. That generally gives you only a few type of students, all with a preppy lean.

I'm obviously speaking from personal bias here....but private schools seem to be bubbles within the real world. (As of now, at least) I think there is an unquantifiable value to that interaction with different types of people and environments you get in a public school. If you're in a city like West Memphis---ok, probably understandable to go private. If you're in a city like Little Rock...I'm not so sure.

Little Rock has two public schools in the top 50 of America.

ASMSA, an hour away, offers the most advanced curriculum in the state. (As of now, Wash U is easier than ASMSA. Shocking to me. Also very relieving.)

There are several great public schools in Little Rock.

Private schools don't really have diversity. Schools like PA may have multiple ethnicities, but they all represent the upper economic brackets. That generally gives you only a few type of students, all with a preppy lean.

I'm obviously speaking from personal bias here....but private schools seem to be bubbles within the real world. (As of now, at least) I think there is an unquantifiable value to that interaction with different types of people and environments you get in a public school. If you're in a city like West Memphis---ok, probably understandable to go private. If you're in a city like Little Rock...I'm not so sure.

Little Rock has two public schools in the top 50 of America.

ASMSA, an hour away, offers the most advanced curriculum in the state. (As of now, Wash U is easier than ASMSA. Shocking to me. Also very relieving.)

As you point out, Little Rock has several public school success stories. Taking an economic development view, what approaches might improve public schools in the LR MSA?

Has anyone gone to any LRSD high school performing arts productions (for example, Parkview)? How was it?

I'm suprised at these high numbers. Why is it so high?

Is it because it's the only place in the state where a pletheora of private facilites exist? Possibly because of the nice charitable contributions towards the construction of these schools? Or is it because LR is the capitol?

Honestly, a lot of it has to do with the desegregation suits that followed the Central High crisis. At first there was flight west to Hall, which became a very good school for a while. Then private schools started popping up all over the place. There are issues in the Little Rock public schools - crime, poverty, etc.

There are good things about the LR public schools. Central High offers more than any other public school in the state for a brilliant kid. It sends more graduates to the Ivy League than just about all other public schools in the state combined. It also graduates a number of students that are marginally literate, which is why average test scores there are, well, average. Mills offers a lot of AP courses and a decent education at least equivalent to the suburbs. Parkview is good for the Arts and is a magnet for such but none of these schools save Central have a national/regional reputation.

The elementaries are hodgepodge, some good and some bad, based on the income of the neighborhoods they serve.

The big problem in Little Rock is the junior highs. The junior high schools in LR are fairly mediocre across the board and for a while safety was an issue though this is less so now.

LR public schools are not in great condition but they are better than many other cities in the region - Memphis, New Orleans, Birmingham, Shreveport, Tulsa, even Dallas where you just won't see a lot of white kids in the schools.

The private schools just offer a better shot at going to a good college and getting a 4-year degree for your average middle of the road kid. The best students will excel anywhere but average kids do better in a disciplined environment with a lot of instruction and there are a lot of distractions in the LR public schools and kids that don't care. This is the same reason Bryant, Cabot, and Conway schools are growing by leaps and bounds.

I graduated from Catholic and I can tell you it was harder for me than my first year of college as well. It's a good school and it put out a significant amount of Central Arkansas' business hierarchy, doctors, lawyers, and other professionals.

PA is the most diverse school in Arkansas, believe it or not, because it is a nondenominational private school. There are a lot of students with Middle Eastern, Indian, or Asian parents there. Of course, there are a lot of Asian kids at Central as well. Of course, PA is way too expensive in my opinion for what you get but you will find others that think it is the best school in the state.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Episcopal Collegiate. It is still a young school but I wouldn't be surprised to see it become the best of the bunch and develop a national reputation. That's what a $30 million endowment can buy a school like that.

Central High offers more than any other public school in the state for a brilliant kid.

Heh. Not true. ASMSA offers more advanced courses across the math and science board. And if you're really advanced, beyond vector calc (which is basically calculus 5...I took multivariable [calc III] as a senior, which central doesn't even offer), then ASMSA has teachers with doctorates who can custom create a more advanced math course. It's only happened once that I know of.

That's just math. ASMSA also offers unique courses created by the teachers. The only biomedical physics program in the nation. Genetics. Quantum Mechanics (there's absolutely no way Central has this. The math prerequisites are too advanced.) Immunology. And more: http://asmsa.org/Academics/CourseCatalog.pdf

But anyways, Central's a good school nevertheless.

PA is the most diverse school in Arkansas, believe it or not, because it is a nondenominational private school. There are a lot of students with Middle Eastern, Indian, or Asian parents there. Of course, there are a lot of Asian kids at Central as well. Of course, PA is way too expensive in my opinion for what you get but you will find others that think it is the best school in the state.

I doubt this point too. ASMSA had asians of course. Indians. Pakistanis. And even those groups traditionally not in the upper economic brackets: blacks and hispanics.

And, ASMSA had poor kids, as well as rich.

Heh. Not true. ASMSA offers more advanced courses across the math and science board. And if you're really advanced, beyond vector calc (which is basically calculus 5...I took multivariable [calc III] as a senior, which central doesn't even offer), then ASMSA has teachers with doctorates who can custom create a more advanced math course. It's only happened once that I know of.

That's just math. ASMSA also offers unique courses created by the teachers. The only biomedical physics program in the nation. Genetics. Quantum Mechanics (there's absolutely no way Central has this. Immunology. The math prerequisites are too advanced.) And more: http://asmsa.org/Academics/CourseCatalog.pdf

I doubt this point too. ASMSA had asians of course. Indians. Pakistanis. And even those groups traditionally not in the upper economic brackets: blacks and hispanics.

You and I differ a bit about ASMSA but in any case we both know it's a different animal. Because it's a boarding type of school and it's located away from Little Rock, it's a different animal. It's not even really "public" because of entrance requirements, though it is publicly funded.

The big problem in Little Rock is the junior highs. The junior high schools in LR are fairly mediocre across the board and for a while safety was an issue though this is less so now.

Your information is inaccurate. I believe your assumption is based on your experience 20 plus years ago. I am only a few years older than you. When I was at Pulaski Heights Junior High, parents of some of my friends sent them to Catholic because of Father Tribou's reputation as a disciplinarian. I don't recall anyone claim to go to Catholic because it was a better school academically.

Today Little Rock has middle schools, grades 6-8. Dunbar is a very strong middle school and Mann has developed a good reputation too.

From LRSD website....

Dunbar's Gifted and Talented International Studies programs enhance the standard middle school curriculum. All students participate in the International Studies program by taking at least one of the foreign language interdisciplinary electives each year.

Gifted and Talented students take an accelerated curriculum in math, science, social studies and English. More than 25 electives and over 30 activity clubs add to Dunbar's outstanding program.

Dunbar PTSA was honored with the Phoebe Apperson Hearst National PTA Excellence in Education Partnership Award in both 2003 (Mentoring) and 2005 (Dunbar Garden).

Math Counts Team: 2002 - 3rd in Region and one student was 3rd in state and competed in national competition; 2003 - We had second team in the region and 3rd in state; 2004 - We had second in region, second in state and had two students compete in national's; 2005 - We were the 3rd team in region.

Dunbar was the first school in Little Rock to receive the National PTA School of Excellence Award

Dunbar's staff have received numerous staff awards including the prestigious Milken Educator Award received by Kristy Kidd in 2003.

Dunbar continues to win numerous awards at Worldfest taking 3rd place in 2003, winning best overall in 2004 and first place in 2005.

Our Quiz Bowl won the district competition in 2004.

That's just math. ASMSA also offers unique courses created by the teachers. The only biomedical physics program in the nation. Genetics. Quantum Mechanics (there's absolutely no way Central has this. Immunology. The math prerequisites are too advanced.) And more: http://asmsa.org/Academics/CourseCatalog.pdf

johnnydr87-

I am a Central grad and have a lot of respect for ASMSA. I was glad to hear that Anice Stedman returned to Central after her time at ASMSA.

Do you keep up with your ASMSA alum? I am sure most of them go to out of state colleges and universities. Do many return to Central Arkansas? How are they contributing to the community?

Also, any thoughts on The Oaklawn Foundation? There is an article in Arkansas Business about the largest single gift to a Hot Springs Charity.

"The Oaklawn Foundation will receive continuing funding of $250,000 to $500,000 per year from gaming income as a result of an agreement Oaklawn made with the city. "

"The Foundation will be administered by an independent board of trustees that Oaklawn said will use the money to fund programs and scholarships to benefit Garland County students and senior citizens, including the construction of a new Center on Aging in association with the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation. "

This all seems very positive to me.

Archived