What would you like to see come to your city?

krazeeboi

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Columbia I would like to see a 20 story tower with a pyramidal roof structure. The Christmas tree on the WIS tv tower shows what I have in mind, except alittle larger ;)

For Spartanbrug I want another 15-20 storeey tower somewhere. Residential would be ideal. I woud gladly live in an apartment in DT Spartanburg. The other thing is more shops and restaurants in Downtown. The Wild Wing kicks ass, but there needs to be more :)

I to would like to see a 30+ tower added to Greenvilles skyline. Preferably 2 or 3 but i guess i shouldnt be greedy. I still think the Gateway site is the place for it . As for parking the Bi-LO centers parking garage could be utalized as well as creating a substructure parking garage.

Glad to see others share an interest in tall structures for downtown Greenville. :D My first desire is to see the Gateway site developed into the most stunningly dramatic structure in the statte, besides the new Ravenel Bridge. I'd really like it to be something designed upon a style which will never lose its prominence among the most beautiful.

Another development I've been very interested in for downtown G-ville is an international village along the Reedy River. It would be designed after several different towns around the World, and be architecturally accurate to the tiniest detail. The fuel behind this project would be the huge number of international companies that have located here. More details to follow... ;)

Hey ya'll, what about some things for my hometown? :D I really would like to see Charleston build an Empire-State-looking skyscraper downtown (around 30-35 stories tall). I would also like to see other skyscrapers around 20-30 stories built around MUSC, the Neck area, or the Lockwood Blvd area, all located downtown, or course.

Another project I would like to see would be to construct a 35,000-seat football stadium dowtown which would be built for my alma mater, The Citadel, instead of renovations to the current 22,000-seat stadium which has been started. Upon the new stadium's completion, the stadium would be the home of the Palmetto Bowl played between an SEC and ACC team.

I would also like to see 2 current downtown buildings demolished which are both located near the Lockwood Blvd and Hagood Ave area: Charleston Riverview Hotel and MUSC's Harborview Tower. These 2 buildings are not attractive at all, and they could be replaced with much better designed skyscrapers. Harborview could be demolished and replaced with a 25-story comprehensive office tower which would include all MUSC admin and corporate offices. Additional space could be leased for doctors or other corporations such as health insurance companies. The hotel could be demolished and a 16-story concrete and glass mixture hotel could be built with a convention center.

I'd like to see more buildings with a modern design come to downtown Columbia. It's unfortunate, from a design creativity standpoint, that the area where most of the growth is focused -- the Vista -- is so restrictive when it comes to design. I mean, I do like the idea of structures in an area being congruous, but it is stifling. The only modern-inspired building there, I suppose, is the Vista Lofts and that's nice, but it's not really saying much.

I'd really love to see some contemporary style residential structures spring up -- houses, condos, townhomes -- in an area in or around downtown. Something in a bohemian neighborhood with a little bit of whimsy. Stuff like in...

Prospect New Town

800-828_Tenacity_Drive_1_Large.jpg

817_Incorrigible_Circle_1_Large.jpg

722-730_Tenacity_Drive_1_Large.jpg

I have to be honest- I don't like those last two. That middle one looks like some sort of post-modern double wide or something. The bottom one looks like it wouldn't age well at all.

I am not opposed to the idea though. Some variety would be nice. That first pic isn't too bad at all :)

...Another project I would like to see would be to construct a 35,000-seat football stadium dowtown which would be built for my alma mater, The Citadel, instead of renovations to the current 22,000-seat stadium which has been started. Upon the new stadium's completion, the stadium would be the home of the Palmetto Bowl played between an SEC and ACC team...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Begging your pardon, but there's no way you can invite both an SEC and an ACC football team to play in a 35,000 seat mini-stadium for a bowl game. That alone would be insult enough to keep the teams and fans away. :lol:

I have to be honest- I don't like those last two. That middle one looks like some sort of post-modern double wide or something. The bottom one looks like it wouldn't age well at all.

I am not opposed to the idea though. Some variety would be nice. That first pic isn't too bad at all :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed! I had written, but must've edited out when I added the link: "These aren't the best examples, but you sort of get an idea." Can't have people thinking I like bad design. :)

Begging your pardon, but there's no way you can invite both an SEC and an ACC football team to play in a 35,000 seat mini-stadium for a bowl game.  That alone would be insult enough to keep the teams and fans away. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, good point...but that is the minimum capacity that bowl organizers want for a bowl game, and if you built a stadium larger than that for The Citadel, it would be too much stadium for regular games.

Maybe 2 other conferences could be invited such as Mountain West or a smaller conference that was farther away...the draw would be to be in a coastal Southeastern city.

I also would like to see more cruise ships come to my hometown. But, in order to do that, the leaders need to DEMOLISH the old cruise terminal downtown along with the nasty, dilapidated rusty old warehouse right next to it and build a beautiful new terminal that is indicative of the historic area. Then, bring on the cruisers! :)

They should use the old Naval ports for cruise ships and maybe a few marina's. I'm not sure of everything that is in the Noisette plan though, so maybe that already exists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Noisette plan is not going to account for cruise ships. The leaders have already stated that it would not be feasible because it would be too far from the historic district. Also, cruise ships would have to maneuver more in the harbor around the new bridge. Currently, there is one cruise terminal just south of the State Port Authority's Union Pier terminal for freight ships...this is where cruise ships dock and tourists go right into the Market area. This has better access to the harbor and ocean.

What I would like is a complete renovation of the cruise terminal area. There have been rumors that say when the old Cooper River bridges are demolished, the Union Pier terminal will be moved and added on there next to Columbus Street terminal. The old terminal and its grounds will become an area of retail development with stores, restaurants, parks, and a leg of the walkway which will connect to Waterfront Park and the Battery. Along with the renovations, the cruise terminal will be renovated and more space will be added on to it in order to accommodate 2-3 cruise ships. That way, as soon as tourists get off the ship, they can walk to the newer shopping area or go to the Market. That might not happen for awhile, though.

Sounds like a good plan to me. The area off of East Bay is not very attractive.

I still think that the Noisette plan should include a marina. It seems foolish not to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it WILL have a marina. They already have one marina in the works around the old Navy base. You're right. It would be foolish not to build some marinas as part of the project.

Archived