Pics of Greenville

krazeeboi

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Shots RT! :thumbsup:

Maybe we should start an SC Upstate photo contest. Each month, start a poll and we can submit new pictures on the first of every month. Everybody could vote on the best one for the month.

There could be monthly themes as well.

It might get some people out to places they've not been before.

Yep, I've seen many such buildings in the Northeast myself. My dad originally came down from central PA (a few years before I was born), but I've been up there many times since and there are indeed tons of nice old buildings that have been renovated or are still being used today. I did some work in New York back in '98 and '99 and saw many more up there also. :)

Yep, I've seen many such buildings in the Northeast myself.  My dad originally came down from central PA (a few years before I was born), but I've been up there many times since and there are indeed tons of nice old buildings that have been renovated or are still being used today.  I did some work in New York back in '98 and '99 and saw many more up there also. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where in NY?

Buffalo, Syracuse, Utica (now that was a ghost town), and Binghamton. Didn't get over to NYC, but everyone sounded the same. Actually, while I was in Buffalo there was a terrible blizzard. Drifts were well over buildings and definitely cars. That was the coldest weather I've ever experienced and hopefully for the last time. :)

Buffalo, Syracuse, Utica (now that was a ghost town), and Binghamton.  Didn't get over to NYC, but everyone sounded the same.  Actually, while I was in Buffalo there was a terrible blizzard.  Drifts were well over buildings and definitely cars.  That was the coldest weather I've ever experienced and hopefully for the last time. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes, the snow belt. I went to school in Binghamton. Its like an island, nowhere to go outside of town. A very depressing place. Gray all the time. :sick:

Thanks,

I think that this is one of my favorite buildings downtown.  I guess its called the Legg Mason building?

It reminds me of some of the buildings in the old industrial New England towns.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did a little searching on the history of this building and found out that it was the American Cigar Factory, the Stone Manufacturing company and a few other things along the way.

Here is an article on some of the history. It was written by an HVAC company, so there is alot on info on the mechanicals of the building.

Here is a Greenville Journal article that mentions the building and its rennovation.

Another fact I didn't know is that "Linky" Stone was the Co-Founder of Stone Manufacturing along with her husband Eugene. I always wondered how they came up with the name of the park. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a photo that I've scanned in from a post card that I purchased Saturday evening at the Mast General Store:

Greenville3.jpg

This post card appears to have been produced by the Greenville CVB and also appears to have been very much digitally enhanced; however, it's still a great shot of the downtown skyline as seen from a birds-eye view somewhere between the Liberty Bridge and the Governor's School for the Arts.

They're only $0.50 at Mast General Store. :thumbsup:

"If you have the means, I'd highly recommend picking one up!" Can anybody tell what one of my favorite movies is yet? :silly:

Edit: P.S. This isn't the full photo. There's a little more off to the left and right on each side that I didn't include. Additionally, I scanned this in at the worst possible resolution so people would be sure to run out and buy one for a clearer view :ph34r:

Archived