2005 Detroit Mayoral Election

rbdetsport

Who do you want to be mayor for Detroit during the Superbowl and in the future?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to be mayor for Detroit during the Superbowl and in the future?

• Freman Hendrix
    • Kwame Kilpatrick
    • Sharon McPhail
    • Hanson Clarke

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe this is borderline for being included this thread, but it shows some of the people the city does business with. None the less, it is still interesting.

Friend of Detroit mayor pleads guilty in pistol-whipping

From the Detroit Free Press - Monday, August 22, 2005

Bobby Ferguson, a city of Detroit contractor and one of Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's close friends, pleaded guilty Monday to pistol-whipping one of his former employees last year.

The plea agreement, which was reached as Ferguson's trial was set to begin in Wayne County Circuit Court, calls for him to serve 10 months in the Wayne County Jail and five years of probation. Ferguson's lawyer, Elbert Hatchett of Pontiac, said Ferguson will be given work release so that he can leave the jail during business hours to run his company. His business, Ferguson Enterprises, a heavy-equipment company, has millions of dollars in Detroit contracts.

read the rest of the article here

Mayoral debates

Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and challenger Freman Hendrix have agreed to a Sept. 15 debate sponsored by the Detroit Economic Club. The candidates also will debate on Oct. 17 at Wayne State University, in a face-off sponsored by WDIV-TV (Channel 4) and Clear Channel Radio. A third debate also is planned.

That should be very interesting! How much dribble can be spit in a couple of hours of "debate"?. Who here wants wholesale change before really doing business in Detroit? Kwame's fine if you want the same old thing and I don't give Freman much more credit. Who's going to fight for real change here? It's interesting. Who here fights the fight inside the city? We're based about a half-mile away from 8 mile road and are ready to invade with physical presence, in fact half of us are inside of it. I'm curious about who is inside fighting and how?

Peace to you from DetroitBazaar

P.S. Due to circumstance, one member is unable to be outside of the city. If it wasn't for the city and its economic force, folks would be outside of this state!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw that on Fox 2 last night to which they rebutted that KK's brother was arrested in Allen Park in 03, and in fact he still has a bunch of outstanding tickets! I'm he's thanking KK today for bring that to everyone's attention. I'm sure though after Kwame losses this election, it will only be a matter of time before he meets up with a bunch of law enforcement.

Also, I liked how quickly LBP responded to KK's comment about kids in Birmingham and Bloomfield schools doing more (insert large list of drugs here) than kids in Detroit schools.

To me its real upseting that these are the only topics of last nights debate that anyone is talking about. How about the issues? It sounds like this election is going to reach a new low personal attacks and mudslinging. Sad, so sad. This is the last thing Detroit needs.

Here's some newspaper articles.

Detroit News - Mayor's Race - Nasty! Ugly!

Detroit News - Editorial 1

Detroit News - Editorial 2

Free Press - Race gets personal Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and challenger Freman Hendrix tossed lots of information at their audience during Thursday's debate. The Free Press examined what they said and compared it to the record. This is information is located in a column on the right side and well worth looking at.

If you want to teach someone character you don't teach them character class," Kilpatrick said. "If you want to show somebody dignity, you don't set up dignity class. I know it sounds good because these savages need it. But in Birmingham and Bloomfield and all these places, they do more meth, more ecstasy, and they do more acid than all the schools in the city of Detroit put together,"

Free Press - Kilpatrick's comments on drug use in Oakland tick off Patterson

Looks like Kwame is asking for weekly debates. Am I the only one that thinks this is a bad idea and that it only adds to his appearance of deparation?

Weekly mayoral debates sought

Kilpatrick draws line for Hendrix

From the Detroit Free Press - Sept 20, 2005

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick has challenged his opponent, former Deputy Mayor Freman Hendrix, to a debate each week for the next seven weeks until the November election.

"If you want this job ... don't run, don't hide; stand up, answer the questions and let's debate," Kilpatrick said Monday evening as he threw down the gauntlet in front of the Spirit of Detroit statue.

Hendrix's campaign spokeswoman, Cathy Nedd, said after the primary that Hendrix and his campaign team decided he would do three debates. She said the candidate continues to meet residents through town hall meetings, home visits and neighborhood canvassing.

As for the mayor's challenge, she said: "He's losing in the polls. He's a desperate man, a desperate candidate."

Read the entire article here

Kwame is quite charismatic and he figures if hes up there talking every week people are gonna see him and maybe change their minds. Regardless of what hes saying and what he has done his personality could probably sway some uneducated voters or people who arent following the soap opera. Its a smart move on his behalf. If I was Hendrix I would stay away from Kwames request because Freman isnt anywhere near as charismatic as KK is.

Hendrix tightens grip on contest

Challenger seen as better administrator in poll results

From the Detroit Free Press - September 27, 2005

Detroit's rookie Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick has exactly six weeks left to change the minds of voters who say he is less trustworthy and less suited to the job of running Michigan's largest city than his opponent Freman Hendrix, a new poll suggests.

Hendrix, however, shows little signs of losing his lead. The poll -- by Lansing-based EPIC/MRA for WXYZ-TV (Channel 7) -- showed Hendrix with a 19-percentage point lead -- 51-32 -- and voters saying he's better suited to build important relationships with suburban leaders and run the cash-strapped city.

Hendrix, the former deputy mayor who finished first in the August primary, has led Kilpatrick by double digits since last spring.

More than nine of 10 Detroit voters say it's important for their mayor to foster a good working relationship with suburban leaders. Two-thirds of them claim Hendrix is most likely to make that happen, said the poll of 400 likely Detroit voters taken Wednesday through Sunday.

The dustup from the first mayoral debate -- in which Kilpatrick suggested the Hendrix family members may have criminal records and that more suburban kids use certain drugs than Detroit teenagers -- backfired on Kilpatrick, the poll showed.

Most voters said the debate didn't affect their choice for mayor, but those who did generally said the mayor's controversial remarks made them more likely to vote for Hendrix.

Read the entire article here

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that Kwame was able to predict the near future....

From WDIV - Oct 10, 2005

The son of Detroit mayoral candidate Freman Hendrix is being held by the Washtenaw County Sheriff's Department awaiting arraignment on a charge stemming from a domestic incident over the weekend.

Stephen Hendrix, 21, is expected to appear at 15th District Court to face the charge Tuesday morning, Local 4 learned Monday.

Freman Hendrix -- with his wife Elaine and daughter Erin at his side -- held a news conference on Monday afternoon to discuss the allegations.

The mayoral candidate also released a statement through a representative, canceling his campaign appearances for Monday and Tuesday.

"Early this morning, my son, Stephen, was arrested for an alleged domestic incident in Washtenaw County, where he is a student at the University of Michigan School of Business.

"While I don't know any of the details, and haven't been allowed to talk to my son, I love him and care about him and believe in his character.

"Our family has retained a lawyer for Stephen, and we will be supporting him in any way that we can.

"Because of my candidacy for mayor, this incident will no doubt become a public issue. I want to be forthcoming about it with the people of Detroit.

"This family matter must take precedence over my campaign. Consequently, I have canceled my public schedule for the remainder of today.

"Obviously, this is a difficult time for our family. I thank our many friends for their thoughts and prayers. I hope to return to the campaign trail as soon as possible."

Read the rest here although I'm sure tomorrow's paper's will have a lot more on this in the next couple of days especially since there are some town hall meetings in the next couple of days for the candidates.

*sigh*

Well, all I have to say is that Stephen may want to think about making a public announcement to prove his integrity and that this family is the right one to lead Detroit. I don't realize how vulnerable this puts Hendrix's position, but I know Freman is a good man and that if anyone can come out of this it is him.

This actually makes me want Kwame to lose even more! ;)

*sigh*

Well, all I have to say is that Stephen may want to think about making a public announcement to prove his integrity and that this family is the right one to lead Detroit. I don't realize how vulnerable this puts Hendrix's position, but I know Freman is a good man and that if anyone can come out of this it is him.

This actually makes me want Kwame to lose even more! ;)

There is no doubt in my mind we'll be seeing a public statement from him...it may even be forced out of him, but we'll see it soon.

What terrible, terrible timing... I'm not really sure what to think as up until now I was very intrigued with Hendrix's family. I sincerely hope this matter gets cleared up and that voters don't suddenly freak out. While I maintain faith in Hendrix I don't know where other people stand. If any allegations against Stephen Hendrix turn out to be true I'll be incredibly disappointed... But it won't stop me from voting for his father.

I would also like to say that there is apparently some kind of statement that was made by Fox 2 saying that he tried to stuff pills down a girls throat. That sounds a little outlandish even for them. I guess I'll have to wait and see. And personally I haven't been impressed with their journalism skills in a long while.

WS

Kwame's gone. Kwame's gone, I said it. If this comes back to haunt DetroitBazaar, something is crazy in Detroit lol. Even if you watch channel 33 or it's Comcast equivelant, would anyone who is educated in any way vote for this dude? If you're wrapped up in in propaganda maybe, but what does it say about our community? It's one thing to act locally but all the national media cares about is his mentality. He may be an honest broker, but an incompentent one. Freman offers some sort of bridge- I'll give him that, but not the ultimate one. It's going to take a literal revolution of the people, in particular, the residents, to change anything. I hope it happens. I hope it happens quickly. We'll be here anyway, but it sure would be nice to have some more people on our side. This city is for everyone, let's make it a place that perpetually welcomes the the most brilliant to its space and jurisdiction.

Peace to Detroit and Peace to you,

DetroitBazaar

Last nights debate was a total slam fest. I just moved into the city, and I'm greatly looking forward to taking part in this historic election. I just signed a lease to live downtown starting in January, and I want to know about the issues at hand...not who's sister is getting a special job. I dont care who is working, as long as work is being done. I gotta admit that I've been on the Hendrix bandwagon for a few months, but KK definately made me reconsider last night. Anyone want to give me some input would be appreciated.

Sure.

Kwame Kilpatrick was the most well-spoken, articulate mayor he has ever been last night. Where was this act during his 4-year term? The only other time it existed was during the debates against Gill Hill 4-years ago, which prompted me to give him my vote (had I lived in the city at that time). I was SO excited for his administration to take hold and to see his youthfulness breath life back into a tired city.

Did it happen? In many instances, it did. I give him credit for the parks, keeping up with the streetlighting (even though mine is completely dark), trash removal? Wuups, didn't happen. He did a great job following through with the disaster left on the east riverfront, and he fostered the home building. I can say any mayor can do that, but I am also aware that maybe some mayors would not. So, in all fairness, Kwame don well.

He lost my trust though. There is no getting around his corruption and arrogance. It's as if that comes with the Kilpatrick name. I reconsider the public speaches not only by him, but his family. There's very little accountability when it comes to KK admitting his faults. Though he admitted he made mistakes during the debate, he only admitted to them generally under the circumstance that no one would ask what they were in particular.

I am also not a big fan of the whole school-yard gang presence (referring to his friends and peeps from high school). During the first few scandals, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but I drew the line when the allagations kept coming.

I'm ready for a fresh face in office. One that I am confident in continuing the good that Kwame did, keeping his fingers out of places they don't belong, and hopefully putting the budget back in working order. Kwame can't do that.

Archived