2005 Detroit Mayoral Election

rbdetsport

Who do you want to be mayor for Detroit during the Superbowl and in the future?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to be mayor for Detroit during the Superbowl and in the future?

• Freman Hendrix
    • Kwame Kilpatrick
    • Sharon McPhail
    • Hanson Clarke

It's not that Kwame convinced me to change my mind, but I think it was the fact that he was willing to speak more about the issues that were trying to be discussed, and not so much about the negative press that each candidate has received. I will still be voting for Hendrix at this point, but I was just saying that I think KK can gain a little bit more ground in the next election if he speaks anything like he did last night.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KK can gain more ground and i expect him to. One of the reasons i was concerned for Freman coming into these debates is that Kwame is very charismatic. I was swept away by him 4 years ago because of his charisma and passion but he has done little to impress me since. The man is all talk. Freman isnt the sexy candidate because hes older and doesnt have all the hoopla surrounding him but hes the right man for Detroit. I just hope most Detroiters dont get taken but the big man in the flashy suit.

And what's with Sharon McPhail endorsing Kwame?

She's got a couple screws loose.

I'm surprise Kwame didn't give her a love-electricution (equivalent to a love-tap) when he found out he had her support.

They both can be gone as far as I'm concerned.

I am not a fan of Frank Beckman mostly based on his personal opinions and other factors, however I have to applaud his stance against the "lynching" of Detroit as was discussed on his show this morning.

I dont know if anyone else heard this (it was also on Mitch Albom's show yesterday), but a political ad in the Michigan Cronicle stated that the media is "lynching" blacks in Detroit (aparently run by close supporters of KK).

The claim was that the media has destroyed the City, and that it is their fault that the schools are failing, businesses are closing, and violence and racism are spreading.

I am a new resident of Detroit. I proudly moved into the city when thousands are moving out. My fiance and I are both white. All of my neighbors are African American...in the four weeks that I've lived here, we've eaten dinner, watched television, and gone out on the town with them. Never once was there any sort of racial tension or conflict. Never once did we feel uncomfortable, or get the impression that they were either.

I really want to know why some people have to be so ignorant and segregated in thought. Is this strictly a (metro) Detroit thing, or does it occur throughout the country? I understand that all is not equal, but is it quite as divided as this ad claims?

P.S. I know there is generally not a lot of political discussion on this board, but this topic really hit me hard. I cant find a link to the ad, but if someone does, please post it.

Well, I guess when you have the Rev. Jessie Jackson endorsing a scandalous cause, then he's got some right to be a bit questioning. I'm wondering what Jackson's motives are. Has anyone seen the Alonzo Bates political ad? Good grief!!

I just went and casted my vote for Mayor, and from what I noticed at a couple of polling locations, people are out in larger than expected numbers this year. I talked with a couple neighbors down the block that said they we convinced in recent weeks to jump ship from FH to KK. Either way, this is a historic, pivital day in Detroit's history.

This is huge..... I am getting a little worried that Kwame will pull ahead. I really have no idea right now.
I've been predicting that Kwame would somehow pull it off for months now. I hope I am proven wrong, since this city is sunk if he gets elected again. Tomorrow at this time we will know for sure.

Of course with so many dead people voting how do we know who actually wins?

Allan, are you snooping? lol

I cast my vote around 10 this morning. All my elderly neighbors were at my voting location waving Kilpatrick fliers at me. I smiled and graciously thanked them...then grunted upon entering the building. ;)

Nah, I'm actually in physics lab right now . However, since my lab group has 3 people and the labs only require one person to do them, I have the advantage of surfing on the internet for 2 hours while they do the lab. That's great on days like this, where I am so bored that I can just search around for developments regarding the election.

I don't think the announcements regarding the B-C or F-S swayed many, if any voters. Quite a few people don't even know that either of the buildings are going to be redeveloped. There isn't any visible progress at all on either structure either. Things might be different if crews were actually working on the buildings.

Archived