2005 Detroit Mayoral Election

rbdetsport

Who do you want to be mayor for Detroit during the Superbowl and in the future?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to be mayor for Detroit during the Superbowl and in the future?

• Freman Hendrix
    • Kwame Kilpatrick
    • Sharon McPhail
    • Hanson Clarke

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*sigh* I can't seem to get a good election to save my life, at least I wasn't crushed this time (spiritually, I couldn't look at a newspaper for two months--and this is coming from someone who at one point last year was reading about six or seven every morning). Thanks Jackie Currie! (sarcasm)

While I'm not as bad as the diehards as I am not contemplating giving up on the city I'm truly saddened by this area's moral compass. Good luck working something out with the suburbs Kilpatrick, although I doubt you will.

Once again Detroit has proved that corruption is a-okay. Is Chicago even this bad?

WS

Im disapointed that Kwame beat out Freman but we can definitely put a positive spin on this. Kwame made a lot of promises during his campaign about learning from his mistakes and maturing and now we can hold him to those promises. At least Jackie got the boot. That woman had to go.

Oh and i bet Steve Wilson has a smile ear to ear this morning now that Kwame is back in office.

Whatever you say dude, your the one who jumped onto this board. Head back west on I-94, Detroit has no time for people like you.

don't get mad at me because your citizens re-elected the most corrupt mayor in the nation. that's one of many reasons why detroit will never be about anything. don't get frustrated though, we have room for you in the greatest city in the world. CHICAGO!!!!!!

don't get mad at me because your citizens re-elected the most corrupt mayor in the nation. that's one of many reasons why detroit will never be about anything. don't get frustrated though, we have room for you in the greatest city in the world. CHICAGO!!!!!!

You know WindyCityRob, you really put a bad reputation on the name Rob. My name is Rob and I would never go into another board and put down the city. But that is besides the point.

Get off our board and go to your lame Illinois Forum. Even if Chicago is a great city, it has some big assholes as citizens. It is people like you that really piss me off. I am not saying I like Kwame, but you know, he did alot of good things for Detroit. Right now you are making yourself sound like a racist living in the suburbs.

By the way, Thankyou statedude3 for calling WindyCityRob out on how arrogant and how stupid he is.

bottom line: THE CITY OF DETROIT SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Heres an idea. When Statedude posts that hes been told Chicago is twice as corrupt, this gives you the opportunity to prove him wrong. You know with facts or things you might know. Instead you chose to show your intelligence with a childish remark. Thank you for gracing us with your superior intellect.

awww, him had to find a excuse to come and post on the detroit forum. that's ok though, it's obvious you are very bored with your pathetically anal chicago lifestyle. but don't you get frustrated though, there is room for you in the GREATEST CITY IN THE UNIVERSE. DETROIT!!!!!!

awww, him had to find a excuse to come and post on the detroit forum. that's ok though, it's obvious you are very bored with your pathetically anal chicago lifestyle. but don't you get frustrated though, there is room for you in the GREATEST CITY IN THE UNIVERSE. DETROIT!!!!!!

Thankyou Marcel.....LOL!!!!!

Sadly my prediction from August was correct (except if you read the Windsor Star, which has a headline stating that Hendrix won). Oh well, at least we got some new faces on city council & Jackie Currie is out.

Here's to another four years of scandals, misused funds, outlandishly expensive leases, paid overtime, shoved reporters, negative national image, illegally demolished historical structures, parties, and racially devisive politics.

:alc:

Sadly my prediction from August was correct (except if you read the Windsor Star, which has a headline stating that Hendrix won). Oh well, at least we got some new faces on city council & Jackie Currie is out.

Here's to another four years of scandals, misused funds, outlandishly expensive leases, paid overtime, shoved reporters, negative national image, illegally demolished historical structures, parties, and racially devisive politics.

:alc:

...And all the reasons why we love the D so much! :)

Allan just reminded me of every reason I had to be sad...:(

I actually took a walk around my own neighborhood for a change, both yesterday evening and can't imagine anything improving, this area used to be one of the bastions of middle class life. And now what? The street patterns, even the curbstones, beautiful. I really can't see it improving under Kilpatrick and what's really sad is that my neighbors are the very people that voted him back in. The parallels to the national election last year are unavoidable, the very people hurting the worse are the ones that can't see the light... I can't let myself get too far into this little rant or I'll ruin my decent mood.

Oh, and thank god Jackie Currie is gone now, I was worried for a moment; the same goes for Alonzo Bates.

WS

I think Detroit playing musical chairs with mayors only gives the people the impression that they, as citizens, can really change the fate of the city through their vote. All politics might be local, but economics is national and global and Detroit is suffering from the effects of globalization and no matter who is the Mayor, they have little or no influence over world and national trends.

I have a problem with all too often label of corruption being attached to areas governed by black people. All the problems of Africa are due to corrupt leaders...not the Berlin Conference and colonization, not the strangulation of servicing debt to the IMF which is the bank of rich Western nations, not the fact that most rich resources are out the hands of indigenous people...just corruption. The same is true of Detroit, if a mayor of Detroit is not beloved by suburbanites, regardless of how residents of Detroit view them, he is corrupt and a divider.

Lets be perfectly honest here, Detroit problems does not emanate from the mayors office and neither does the solution to its problems.

I can agree with that. I've always said that Detroit's problems (and the solutions to those problems) are bigger than any one man or woman, or even bigger than any one city.

This election wasn't so much a referendum on the economy or anything like that, because mayors can't much affect those issues. What is was a referendum on is who Detroit wanted to show at it's front door. They decided they wanted the charasmatic, rowdy fratboy (Kwame), over the more studious student (Freeman). It was a popularity race; and many people seem to forget that.

What worries me is that those outside of the city have largely lost ALL trust in Kilpatricks leaderships and that IS a REAL problem for Detroit; a city which can no longer afford to burn more bridges.

Archived