2005 Detroit Mayoral Election

rbdetsport

Who do you want to be mayor for Detroit during the Superbowl and in the future?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to be mayor for Detroit during the Superbowl and in the future?

• Freman Hendrix
    • Kwame Kilpatrick
    • Sharon McPhail
    • Hanson Clarke

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking at the free press paper while sitting in the dentist's office on Tuesday and read a very funny, short blurb, that I can't find a link for. Basically it said the video of KK's mom from his annoucement for re-election was getting e-mailed around Washington DC! This is the turn off your television, y'all and a lot of people died so he could be up in here.

Also, KK made the NY times again, and I heard it's on the front page. I dont' have access to view the whole article, does anyone else?

Detroit Mayor and TV Reporter Are Locked in Video War

By DANNY HAKIM

Published: June 2, 2005

Financially troubled Detroit has produced an unusual news segment criticizing a local reporter who has been called a liar by the city's beleaguered mayor.

A poll tonite on channel 7 showed Hendrix with 33% Kwame with 24% and McFAIL with 22%. It looks like Detroiters might get this thing right. I believe both Kwame and the city council had approval ratings both at 29%. That right there shows the crappy condition that Detroit politics are in right now.

Here's the free press article from today's paper about the recent poll. I have pasted the highlights below.

http://www.freep.com/news/locway/mayoralpoll3e_20050603.htm

Forty-four percent of the 400 Detroiters who said they planned to vote in the mayor's race who were surveyed said they will vote against Kilpatrick.

"It indicates that Kilpatrick's prospects for re-election are so bleak that even little known state Sen. Hansen Clarke would beat Kilpatrick in a head-to-head matchup."

Hendrix, who served as deputy mayor under Dennis Archer, bests Kilpatrick 57% to 30%. That's more than double the margin of 13 percentage points Hendrix had in a survey by the same pollster seven weeks earlier.

"Voters have been telling me they are really embarrassed ... about the national image of our city," Hendrix said.

The top two finishers in the primary will move on to the general election in November.

- I didn't know this. Now wouldn't it be funny if KK didn't even make it past the primary!

For those who don't know, there was a Detroit mayoral debate held over the weekend on Mackinaw Island.

Only the 3 candidates participated because this was set up prior to Hansen Clarke entering the race.

Sharon McFail showed up 20 minutes late, which left some people in the crowd chanting for Hansen! She said she was late because she had been told the 5 p.m. event began at 5:30. Former Police Chief Benny Napoleon, who McPhail says will be her deputy mayor, was on time.

Freman empasized that integrity is a critical issue in the race and said Detroiters "want a mayor who is going to be transparent in all that he does ... a mayor who doesn't have to apologize for misdeeds, poor judgment and bad actions."

Kilpatrick, without naming Archer or Hendrix, said he has been beset by problems he inherited after taking office Jan. 1, 2002.

Kilpatrick, who came into office chanting the mantra "Right here, right now," said Friday, "Four years is not a lot of time."

She urged the crowd to help the city make history by electing its first female mayor. Detroit, she said, "had a lot of wonderful city fathers. Now it needs a mom."

You can read the free press article here

Ive read Archers response to Kwames claim that he left him crap. Apparently Archer left quite a few safe guards for the city in case a recession hit Detroit hard. I think a lot of the blame can be put on Kwame, although all of Michigan is struggling economically.

Mayor's aide helped script first debate

Consultant wrote some questions

From the Free Press June 7, 2005

A paid spokesman for Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's re-election campaign helped write the questions asked during the mayoral forum held over the weekend on Mackinac Island.

Yes, you can go back and read it again. Then your reaction will be like mine when I learned Monday night that political and marketing consultant Bob Berg, on behalf of his longtime client Cindy Pasky of Strategic Staffing Solutions, helped develop and revise some questions -- and deleted at least one question -- planned for Kilpatrick and challengers Freman Hendrix and Sharon McPhail.

Berg and the mayor say that the questions didn't give him any edge in the debate. But Berg's involvement is sure to cause smirks and raises questions yet again about the ethical behavior of the mayor and some of those around him.

Berg's actions raise a bigger question about how things are done in Detroit, where conflicts of interest are sometimes ignored, possible ethics violations are pooh-poohed and several people knew -- but saw nothing wrong with -- a campaign aide secretly writing the debate questions for his candidate.

Berg, who is a partner in the Berg-Muirhead public relations and consulting firm and was press secretary during the Coleman Young administration, has helped Kilpatrick put out several fires.

Read the rest of the article here

Now, believe that this really didn't help KK in the debate, but still, this is a conflict of interest and for someone who's life is under the microscope right now, he should have know better. To this just shows more of a lack of experience of experience than corruption, but that's just this incident.

Good point. I heard Kwame's 59 body guards are now fanning him with palm branches and cheauffeuring him to places Arabian-style, so that when he gets there, someone can answer his questions for him while he sips on $9,000 pint of milk paid for by Detroit taxpayers.

But I'm just telling you what I heard. :unsure:

What in the world would the mayor of a city...even a large one...need that many body guards?

There are only a few people in the world who could possibly have a use for so many, the Pope and a few of the world's powers' leaders (like Bush and Blair).

That site is almost as funny as the kwamekilpatrick.com site! I needed a shovel read through it. He's taking credit for stuff he had no control over. It should read "standing strong for Kwame", not Detroit. The one on the other site is pretty good too, "standing strong ... for destruction!"

Honk! Honk! That's funny!

Mayor charged Bahamas trip

He repaid city, says he thought travel would be all business

From the Detroit Free Press - June 16, 2005

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick charged a Bahamas getaway to his city-issued credit card in December, continuing his pattern of using the city's MasterCard for personal expenses.

Nearly seven weeks later, Kilpatrick reimbursed the city for the cost, writing a personal check Jan. 20 for $1,564 to cover lodging, meals and telephone calls made while staying at the posh Atlantis Royal Towers in Nassau. Hotel bills indicate he spent five days at the 34-acre resort and marine habitat.

"The Bahamas trip was an intended business trip," mayoral spokeswoman Ceeon Quiett said late Wednesday, adding, "the mayor decided upon his return that he spent more personal time than business time.

"Therefore, he decided to pay for that trip himself when the statement arrived 2 to 3 weeks later."

Asked what Kilpatrick did for Detroit in the islands, Quiett said only: "He met with officials ... he toured official facilities."

Records the city provided to the Free Press on Wednesday afternoon under the Freedom of Information Act also show the mayor and his wife, Carlita Kilpatrick, charged $943 to the city credit card at the opulent Four Seasons Hotel in Paris in September 2004, during the French capital's auto show.

Read the rest of the article here

Thank god for the freedom of infomation act!

This is my favorite part: "The Bahamas trip was an intended business trip," mayoral spokeswoman Ceeon Quiett said late Wednesday, adding, "the mayor decided upon his return that he spent more personal time than business time.

Indended business trip? Really, why not tell us what "business" he thought he was going to do, or better yet, since they say that he spent more presonal time than business time, tell us what business he really did. What was so curcial that had to be done in the Bahamas.....

"Resort receipts say two people stayed in Kilpatrick's room, but Quiett said she was not aware of a second guest.

Her statement said: "The mayor's family did not accompany him."

I think Kwame is going to have more than his reelection to worry about when his wife, Carlita, reads this.

Archived