2005 Detroit Mayoral Election

rbdetsport

Who do you want to be mayor for Detroit during the Superbowl and in the future?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to be mayor for Detroit during the Superbowl and in the future?

• Freman Hendrix
    • Kwame Kilpatrick
    • Sharon McPhail
    • Hanson Clarke

I read that and thought the same thing. My guess is that the Freep didnt disclose the fact that they had the resort receipt when asking the question. That way the spokesperson would give the real answer and expose that his trip was nothing more than a trip for Kwame to hook up with women and cheat on his wife. I mean is he seriously trying to convince us that he took that trip to look at the police stations there?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

For those that don't know, there was a debate between the 4 candidates for Detroit Mayor last night. It was televised on Fox2, but unfortunately I was unable to see it. Here's the write up from the Free Press

DEBATING THE CITY'S FUTURE: Candidates for Detroit mayor face off on TV

From the Detroit Free Press - July 1, 2005

Detroit's four leading mayoral candidates traded ideas and barbs Thursday night in their first and, so far, only televised debate over the future of a city with a shrinking population and growing budget crisis.

As about 100 guests of the debate's cosponsor, the Council of Baptist Pastors, looked on, Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, City Councilwoman Sharon McPhail, former Deputy Mayor Freman Hendrix and state Sen. Hansen Clarke, D-Detroit, sparred for 90 minutes at the Southfield studio of the debate's other cosponsor, WJBK-TV (Channel 2).

That closer look came between rhetorical digs. The first blow fell about 25 minutes into the debate when McPhail, asked what she would do to improve education, instead attacked Hendrix for failing to implement his ideas for change during his eight years in city hall and nearly two years at the helm of the school board.

"Those are some very interesting ideas, I just wonder why you didn't do it," McPhail said.

Hendrix, who has touted his experience in government, shot back that campaigns are full of "candidates who try to advance their political careers on an issue without ever offering an idea or thought. ... That is legendary for Ms. McPhail."

In an apparent shot at Kilpatrick, Clarke said he would not have a city credit card, ride in a city-provided luxury car or live in the city-owned Manoogian Mansion.

When Kilpatrick was asked about the size of his bodyguard team, he said it was smaller than Archer's and the late Mayor Coleman Young's police protection teams. He also said he has a wife and two children to protect.

Moments later, McPhail pointed out that Kilpatrick has three children, prompting laughter from the audience.

After Hendrix said he agreed a mayor needs police protection, Clarke said: "I won't need executive protection. I'm from the east side, and I can handle myself."

After the audience and his opponents stopped laughing, Clarke added: "Do I need protection as mayor? Probably. But you need the protection more," he said, referring to Detroiters.

Read the rest of the article here

I watched it. As expected, Sharon McPhail focused on the past and blamed the current and past administrations for everything. She started the first finger pointing. We don't need a mayor that is going to blame everyone else in addition to focusing too much on the past. She spoke well, but I was turned off by her passing of judgements. This is why we haven't been able to move forward as a city and region. She also attacked Hendrix most because she knows that he's her biggest threat.

Kwame just lied.

Clarke sounded like he was a genie in a bottle and could grant Detroit any wish it commanded without any explanation of how...

So, that left Mayor Hendrix. Honest, to the point, well spoken, and good vision. This election is a no-brainer in my opinion.

Freman Hendrix is best choice to replace mistake-prone mayor

From the Detroit Free Press - July 5, 2005

Detroit is in a tough situation that is only going to get tougher. Yes, the Super Bowl is coming, but absent a local economic upswing -- something on the order of gold being struck in Delray -- the city is going to continue losing jobs, families and revenue. Even with the employee layoffs that began last week, its budget will remain a problem. There are difficult, painful decisions yet to be made. Strong, capable leadership will be needed to keep Detroit on an even keel, retain what remains of its middle class and advance the restructuring of city government and services to do more with less.

Among the candidates for mayor,

FREMAN HENDRIX is the most sensible choice for the difficult work ahead.

The picture looked different -- and rosier -- four years ago when this newspaper endorsed a charismatic 31-year-old state legislator named Kwame Kilpatrick. Lacking major management experience, he was certainly going to make mistakes, but Kilpatrick had a big, appealing vision for his hometown and, it appeared, the energy to keep a fragile renaissance on track.

The mayor has been a disappointment. He wasn't ready to handle what the job requires. His achievements have been overshadowed by personal blunders and unmet expectations.

read the rest of the article here

Here's another one. Did anyone that attended the fireworks see this? It should be pretty funny to see it flying around at the All Star Game!

You may have noticed the plane with the anti-Kwame banner flying above the Detroit River before the International Freedom Festival fireworks on Wednesday.

The sign read "Layoff Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick ... Not Police!" It flew from about 7:30 to 8:30 p.m.

Suspended Detroit Police Officer John Bennett, who authors the www.detroituncovered.com Web site, made the arrangements. He hired an outfit out of New York for $550 an hour, which he paid through a collection from police officers.

"It's what I like to describe as a peaceful protest in the Dr. King fashion," Bennett said Thursday.

Next stop: The July 12 Major League Baseball All-Star Game at Comerica Park.

DetroitMayor3.jpg

Read the rest of the short article here

Lastly, did anyone else notice that the only 2 people you see billboards for are Kwame and Lonny Bates?!? Coincidence that the two most (publically) corrupt people in the city governement are the with enough money to put up billboards. Also, in similar fashion to KK bus ad modification, some has spray painted "Liar Theif" on one the Lonny Bates billboard! There is a picture of it on the detroituncovered website.

• 2 weeks later...

It surprises me how many steadfast supporters Kwame has though. There were young people only a little older than me canvassing our neighborhood last weekend. I wonder if they are blindly supporting him because he's young, or they know what he's about and are supporting him either way. Both options disturb me.

WS

Lastly, did anyone else notice that the only 2 people you see billboards for are Kwame and Lonny Bates?!?  Coincidence that the two most (publically) corrupt people in the city governement are the with enough money to put up billboards.  Also, in similar fashion to KK bus ad modification, some has spray painted "Liar Theif" on one the Lonny Bates billboard!  There is a picture of it on the detroituncovered website.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did anyone see the I75/Rosa Parks billboard? I forgot who it was for, but someone spraypainted "Racist Bloodsucker" on it. It's a CC'er who is always talking about more contracts going to black-owned businesses, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's something that caught my eye in the free press article

"While neither Clarke nor McPhail was willing to endorse Hendrix or Kilpatrick on Tuesday, polls show most of their supporters going with the former deputy mayor."

I also like how KK is now referring to himself in the 3rd person!

"This has been an opportunity for those who have been hurt, those who have been disappointed in Kwame Kilpatrick to exorcise those emotions. ... I accept what you've done today."

From Freman:

"The folks who have been partying at taxpayers' expense for the last four years are not going to give up the credit cards without a fight," he said, urging supporters not to let up over the next three months.

He said he was surprised by the margin of his victory and said he would begin talking more about Kilpatrick's record.

Let the mudslinging begin :(

Im also glad that Freman won but it is far from over. There will be a lot of mudslinging by both parties and I really hate that. People are speculating that Kwame will bring race into the equation which is in really poor taste and something that shouldnt be tolerated. I dont know if the other candidates will come out and endorse anyone but I do fully expect the people that voted for them in the primary to shift to the Hendrix camp.

• 2 weeks later...

Clarke supporting Hendrix in bid for mayor of Detroit

August 18, 2005 - Detroit Free Press

Urging his supporters to "overthrow City Hall and its attitude of arrogance," state Sen. Hansen Clarke endorsed Freman Hendrix for Detroit mayor on Wednesday.

Clarke, a Detroit Democrat, finished fourth in the Detroit mayoral primary behind Hendrix, Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and City Councilwoman Sharon McPhail.

"I believe he's the best-equipped to deliver city services because he worked his way up through the ranks," Clarke said.

Hendrix, deputy mayor under former Mayor Dennis Archer, said Clarke's populist message during the campaign made him a better candidate.

McPhail has not made an endorsement decision.

Kilpatrick's campaign discounted the endorsement.

"Detroit voters tend to judge candidates based on their records, rather than what other people are saying about them," said Kilpatrick campaign spokesman Bob Berg.

By Kathleen Gray

It's a short article and this is it. Nothing to paraphrase, but I'll still include the link here

Archived